1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Astros need to make their move today. Not interested in an emotional trade deadline over pay. Go get your guys!

Salvy likes this.
  2. Landry's Tooth

I think this would seem fair...

To Pirates
    Brown
    Meyers
    Baker (Cards 1B AAA)

To Cardinals
    Odorizzi

To Astros
    Zack Thompson
    Bryan Reynolds

Then flip:
    Urquidy for Josh Bell

Leaves us:
    Verlander
    Valdez
    Garcia
    Javier
    McCullers

With emergency starters being Bielak, Solomon, and Ivey...

I wouldn't be opposed to taking Patrick Corbin back if we're paying 10 million of his salary..

Also would consider Barber, Whitley, or others for Bell to retain Urquidy... probably an overpay on a rental like Bell... maybe flip him and Brown in the Pirates deal...

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Looking at that list reminds me that Daulton Varsho would be a great pick up. Good outfielder AND catcher, and an offensive upgrade from Castro.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Screaming Fist

Siri to me is a similar player to Marisnick but he's younger and with less service time than Marisnick had when he was dealt. Should get something decent for him and he should be moved.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Unfortunately not a single player has mentioned this as their reason for not getting vaccinated. The ones who have talked about it have spouted the same idiotic talking points that 99.999% of anti-vaxxers repeat. While I wholly disagree with your insinuation that the vaccine isn’t safe, that COVID isn’t dangerous, and that the risk of the vaccine posed to athletes outweighs the benefits, I think if most people used your logic there would be a lot more understanding (not just of athletes but people in general). Instead it’s “muh freedoms” and “it’s poison” and “Bill Gates microchip” and other associated idiocy that serves as logic for the majority of people choosing not to get vaxxed.

6. Landry's Tooth

I'm not opposed to Castillo but wouldn't want to pay too much since he's probably a #3 pitcher for us...

Ironically it's not him i want...

1) Keep him from Yankees
    2) Provides depth if Verlander price gets too high in offseason

If Verlander is back we could flip Castillo for help in offseason...

Salvy likes this.
  7. Landry's Tooth

I think your assertion that all people have equal risk from covid is dangerous misinformation.

Is something that could give you myocaditis poison?

Free country... what do you care? A person not getting vaccinated has absolutely no impact on you.

I'm vaccinated but i wouldn't do the mrna technology without a few decades of data like most vaccines have.

The Beard likes this.
  8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

The longitudinal studies argument is gonna be a thing until the studies are done, justified or nothing. The data is absolutely there that shows the COVID death rate in unvaccinated people under 50 is 6x that of the vaccinated rate. It's 13x higher in the vaccinated/boosted group. Link (that completely ignores the public health and job implications)

Whether its more or less deadly than flu is a moot point.

Regarding the rates of myocarditis in male athletes; the meta-analysis has been done: Link. You're talking a 1% up to maybe 4% chance of myocarditis in an athlete.

I don't say all those things to be a pro-vaxxer (though I obviously am). But the metrics are certainly enough to show clear and convincing reason to get the vaccine from a healthcare perspective. As Snake mentioned, no un-vaccinated player is arguing that they know better than science. It's a freedom or unverifiable scientific unknown counterargument.

From a team management point of view, I'd be deeply troubled with a player who ignored the data on the covid vaccine because I'd assume they also wouldn't be able 1) understand batting/hitting metrics either 2) listen to data the team was offering them or 3) do it because it's in the best interest of the team.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I didn’t assert that all people have equal risk, you braindead ****ing moron.

awc713 and Nook like this.
  10. havoc1

havoc1 Member

A young person is more likely to get myocarditis from a covid infection than from an mRNA vaccine. Here is a quote from this study:

"Conclusions: Myocarditis (or pericarditis or myopericarditis) from primary COVID19 infection occurred at a rate as high as 450 per million in young males. Young males infected with the virus are up 6 times more likely to develop myocarditis as those who have received the vaccine."

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with what you say. But I think you underestimate how important that is.

Castillo isn't JV and may not be Framber but he is very close. Much closer than any of the other 4 starters.

Javier and Garcia can be monsters occasionally but are very hit and miss. You simply can't have misses in the playoffs. Urquidy is dependable but not at the same level.

In the post season, the difference between 2 TOR starters plus 4 mid level guys and 3 TOR starters plus 3 mid level guys is huge.

Not to mention what happens if JV or Framber get hurt?

The team fought valiantly last year but once McCullers was hurt the team had very little chance.

In 2 or 3 years Javier or Garcia could be the type of pitcher that starts meaningful playoff games and the organization and fans are happy and confident. That's not now though.

You are right that keeping Castillo from one of the rivals is a huge benefit too.

htownrox1 and everyday eddie like this.
  12. Landry's Tooth

I have to ask since your source didn't cite it..

Which strain is the data for?

And

How did they filter people who dies with Covid from those who died from it?

Doesn't appear they tried to for some reason...

13. Major

Major Member

This is very much not true.

https://data.cdc.gov/widgets/9bhg-hcku?mobile_redirect=true

Every single age group is many orders of magnitude higher in Covid deaths than flu deaths, even accounting for infection rates.

14. Landry's Tooth

He's definitely an upgrade over Urquidy. I just don't deal the farm for him. I walk away if the price gets high.

If we're talking Urquidy (who loses a spot in the rotation) and a couple of guys loke Barber who are a couple years away i would be fine with it...

15. Landry's Tooth

Sure you did. You made no attempt to acknowledge the vastly different risk based on age.

16. conquistador#11

Can't believe I'm going to go back to my first choice in page 3 of this long thread.
    Bryan Reynolds!
    Jake+ Lee+ Jake the pictcher+Siri
    for
    Reynolds.

then
    Chas+Urquidy for Bell

Finally:
    Bryan Abreu + Collin Barber + Leon for A's Murphy and Montas. I hate giving up Leon but I'm in a giving mood.
    That's 4 additions at the deadline. No holes.

[​IMG]

Do something, Click.

Nook likes this.
  17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Let's all agree you won't be dissuaded of your position based on any data. Fine. If you got vaccinated as you say you did, public good thanks you.

Back to baseball.

Nook, BigMaloe, Snake Diggit and 2 others like this.
  18. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

I don't have the energy in the year of our lord 2022 but you are cherry picking limited downside outcomes (death) from random cross sections (people under 50), and not acknowledging the risk that non-vaccination presents to others. you also have the data on myocarditis totally wrong; the risk of myocarditis goes up by way more if you contract covid than if you are vaccinated (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2792604). just stop.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

What a dumb link..

The Vaccine doesn't prevent infection.

So comparing covid infected caused cases with vaccine caused ones overlap data.

You can be vaccinated and get it. Did covid cause it or the vaccine?

Control groups of unvaccinated people doesn't impact the data since they would only show some of the population of those who get it while excluding cases where people were vaccinated but not caused by vaccines.

You doth prove too much...

20. CinematicFusion

I doubt anyone will want Odorizzi, might be stuck with him.