1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Pool Owners Here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Put in a pool during the pandemic. I consider the $175 we spend on our pool guy to do all our maintenance the best money we spend every month.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I have saltwater and it's been crazy simple. Other than vacuum (manual or robot) and clean the skimmer once a week, it's "no-touch".

Most pool places offer free chemical checks. With that check comes advice. Now keep in mind their job is to sell chemicals - hence the free test.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...pools require a lot of maintenance and that maintenance means money. Mostly, it's money spent on chemicals. Occassionally, a big part breaks and requires a small investment. I think homeowner's insurance covers the pool for natural perils, e.g. hail, lighning, etc. . It's going to be a rarity to use homeowner's insurance on a pool...unless you get hit by a tornado probably.

I know that, when I was home shopping, I could not find a used house that was what I considered acceptable. It was ridiculous how many crap homes I looked at. Zero good homes really. I quickly got sick of home shopping. So, when I came across a good home that happened to have a pool, I had to jump on it.

And, the prices charged by pool companies to come out weekly are nuts imo. I've never used one nor would I ever. I personally don't understand that pricing model.

CrazyJoeDavola likes this.
  4. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Oh I dont mean insurance for the pool, I mean premiums increasing on liability insurance for owning a pool

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Holy s***! 80-90k gallons? That's freakin enormous. Average size is about 14,000.

Didn't seem to affect our insurance rates at all.

@ima_drummer2k When is the last time you cleaned or replaced your filters?

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yes, pools are expensive to maintain, but we use ours a LOT. My kids swim almost every day during the summer. So does my wife. And even during the school year, we're swimming every weekend. I've even been known to take a dip during my lunchbreak while I'm working from home.

Everyone on our cul-de-sac has a pool and I swear we are the only ones who use ours. It's such a big investment to maintain, the only way to get an ROI is to use the hell out of it. I don't understand having a pool and never using it, which is what a lot of people around here do.

Going to test my water this afternoon and post my results.

7. ima_drummer2k

I use the stabilized tabs in my auto chlorinator. I usually make sure there's at least 2 in there all the time. I should probably kick that up to 3 or 4, since we swim so much.

I shock with liquid chlorine every 2 weeks or so. Probably should do it weekly.

My test doesn't have a CYA reading unless it's the same thing as stabilizer?

8. ima_drummer2k

Current numbers:

Chlorine - 0.5 (I'm going to shock tonight)
    PH - 7 (that seems really low)
    Alkalinity - 105 (finally got that under control)

Should I add baking soda to raise the PH without raising the Alkalinity?

9. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Leroy said Borax raises pH without raising alkalinity. 20 oz per 5,000 gallons to raise pH by 0.5.

Also, CYA is the stabilizer.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I always fill my inline chlorinator up with around 9 tabs. They tend to last only 7 - 14 days in this hot weather with about 10 hours of direct sunlight on the pool daily.

I've never heard of just doing a few tabs at a time. It seems like you just have to add them more frequently or maybe not since you shock weekly? I am doing shocks every other week when the tabs dissipate.

#30 Surfguy, Jul 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  11. leroy

I'd shock with 1 lb, let your pump run over night and then test it tomorrow. Don't put it in until this evening. You're not that far off on your pH. It should come up naturally with the shock and the correct chlorine levels.

Since you didn't answer, when was the last time you cleaned and/or changed out your filters? That will play havoc with the balance. I used to clean my filters once in April when the pollen was bad and coming out of winter, again in May after the pollen stopped, and then again before shutting it down for the winter. If it's been a couple of years since replacing them, they might also be due.

12. ima_drummer2k

Yep, this is what I'm going to do.

I clean my filter every couple of weeks. I just hose it down real good and put it back in. Try to keep the pressure at 15 or below.

leroy likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Old owners daughter used to swim competitively, 11-12 feet deep on one end (diving board cleared)

the most ironic part is we had to build a customized net to cover the pool for safety reason in case someone fell in.

these new pools that are 4ft deep and small are the way to go.

when we do a remodel in 5-8 yrs I’m going to see how much it costs to make it more shallow, could shave 1/3 of the size that way..

leroy likes this.
  15. leroy

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I keep telling the wife I'm going to do it as a joke but man that's good money... But you know they are putting the capitol P in your Pool.

I think I could get decent money... These pics were taken before the landscaping and Sunbrella cushions were on. Now it has this look plus a tropical feel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Man that's a deep pool - YMCA deep.

I thought about having a sport pool put in - deep in the middle with 2 shallow ends. My land wasn't ideal for that kind of pool though. You spend way more time in the shallow end than the deep end. I ended up with a traditional (7' deep but a nice transition) with a seating ledge around 2 sides of the pool. I do like the ledge though I walk along it more than just sit on it.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, but I was thinking that dude put nice money into that pool if he paid $110,000 back in 2012 for it. Back then an average pool probably cost around $20-$30k (?). Nowadays I hear you have to put in at least $35-$50k starting (?) for a decent pool. Plus he's offering amenities and services, too, I guess, so it isn't exactly "set it and forget it". But still... that's nice income and he's easily paid it off and then some.

19. CrazyJoeDavola

Chlorine is really destructive ****. Give it time and you will eventually replace just about everything it touches as far as pool equipment goes.

20. CrazyJoeDavola

Definitely get your CYA tested. Some strips do that but it's hard to get a precise reading. Amazon sells specific CYA only testers that are easier to read. Pool store also can test for it. Even if your tablets are stabilized, it may not be enough. Too little CYA will cause the free chlorine in your pool to be consumed by the sun.

Definitely shock once a week. I always shock on Sunday's night after weekend use. That will make your tablets more effective.