1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Pool Owners Here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jul 20, 2022.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If so, do you do your own maintenance?

I fired my pool guy in January to save money and I've been doing everything myself since then with no issue, but now I'm having a hard time keeping my numbers where they should be. Maybe the weather?

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I do my own.

This summer has been all about keeping the pool chlorinated at all times and the filters clean. Hasn't needed much acid.

What are you having trouble with?

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I clean mine and the wife makes sure the numbers are good. She takes a sample to Leslie's once a month and adjusts the chlorinator. I will add acid if necessary.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

I'm using a chlorine tab almost every day - sometimes two a day. I'm having a hard time keep it up because it seems like the sun is just eating it all up. That stuff is expensive! Any way to make it last longer?

Also, my PH is low but my total alkalinity is high, which seems odd since they are supposed to go hand-in-hand?

Finally, my calcium hardness is off the chain high. Not sure if there's anything I can do about that though. The surface is 20 years old and our water supply is pretty hard.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I used to do my own and will once we build one at our new house. I strangely miss it.

If you're out of balance, it's going to eat up the chlorine. Have you gotten it tested at a Leslie's or somewhere like that? You can actually use Borax to bring the ph up but not affect the alkalinity. Once you get them in sync, then you'd use muriatic acid to bring both down to where it needs to be.

If the hardness is that out of whack, you might need to drain it some and put in fresh water. Proper levels of acid will help maintain that once you get it down.

The surface being that old could be contributing as well. I'm surprised it's made it that long without issues.

Again, if you haven't had it professionally tested, do so. It's free at most pool stores.

ima_drummer2k and JumpMan like this.
  6. JumpMan

I have two tabs in the skimmer and two in the floater. And I add liquid chlorine at times. I also have more than half of the pool covered with a tarp. That probably helps a lot.

If you want to bring your alkalinity down along with your pH you have to bring your pH up with soda ash or baking soda or borax and then bring both down together with acid. One of those brings pH up without raising alkalinity.

What surface is your pool? Mine is plaster and high hardness at around 250 is okay with it. You could try to drain some water and replace it. The water at my house is hard, too, so I tie a rag at the end of the hose when I'm filling it.

King1 and ima_drummer2k like this.
  7. JumpMan

double post

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Never had a pool, and this pool maintenance sounds involved. Some good sounding advice being given so hopefully it helps ima.

I have a question for owners. Would a saltwater pool be easier to maintain?

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I had a pool 10 years ago.
    • Convert to salt. You can add the salt/chlorine generator inline to your plumbing. After I converted to salt, I only had to keep the salt levels up and throw some shock in every month or so. Better for your skin, doesn't sting your eyes, smells better, looks better.

• This is the best place for DIY pool stuff: https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog/

JumpMan, TheJuice and ima_drummer2k like this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

Oh, the more I do it myself, the more I love doing it myself (TWSS).

I get it tested at Pinch A Penny. It's a real thorough test, but the kid there always tells me the same thing - add acid to deep end, wait 3 hours, shock with liquid chlorine. That works great for a few days, but then the numbers go right back to where they were.

Is there a table to tell you how much Borax to use according to your pool size and/or PH number? Mine is 18,000 gallons and my PH is around 7.2.

11. ima_drummer2k

Yeah, the sun shines directly on my entire pool from sunrise to about 3pm every day. I'm sure that's a big part of the problem. We lost a few of our good covering trees during the freeze a few years ago.

Surface is plaster, but it's 20 years old and starting to come loose. Resurfacing is on my radar for the offseason.

Good idea using a rag to fill the pool. Or maybe some kind of a hose filter?

JumpMan likes this.
  12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

that’s funny cause my pH goes high and my total alkalinity goes low.

13. JumpMan

Man, I didn't know water hose filters existed. There are some specifically for pools. I'm getting one.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was but sold that house. If it’s saltwater get a company, if it’s chlorine it isn’t too difficult to maintain.

I grew up caring for my parents chlorine pool and had no issues. When I had a salt water pool I wanted to fill that b**** in.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Maybe try a Leslie's or Texsun Pools if you have either of those reasonably near by. At least to see if you get a different answer because I don't think just adding acid is doing you any good.

The sun definitely burns the chlorine. Do you have an auto feeder or just one of those floating things? Also, the amount the pool gets used is going to have a large effect.

I've read 20 oz/5,000 gallons of Borax.

16. CrazyJoeDavola

What type of chlorine are you using?

What is your CYA (cyanuric acid) reading?

Do you shock your pool weekly?

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We have salt setup. pretty easy. my parents live in garage renovated to apartment and my dad does all pool stuff. seems pretty easy

Xerobull likes this.
  18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

588E8513-F448-4C15-B104-637D98DFD173.jpeg
    Our guy was charging 400$ a month and started off really good , but as pool guys go (rep is there for a reason next to car salesman) started doing a **** job and left an algae attack for 10 days.

been doing it ourselves here’s what I will say, the heat has made this really hard, we don’t use salt system anymore and use floaters. Nearly doubled the chlorine in there and having to mess with alkalinity regularly. I would check it every other day with the strips and make sure you have a robot/cleaner. It’s the hardest time right now to keep the numbers right

All in all nobody uses our ****ing pool except the dogs. We didn’t build it (80-90K gallons) and would probably never build one given the headache

#19 LosPollosHermanos, Jul 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  20. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I always wanted a pool growing up, but now it doesnt seem worth it reading all of this. Plus Im sure your homeowners insurance goes up as well.