1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] The Higher Ceiling: Mobley or Jabari?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jun 25, 2022.

?

Who has the Higher Ceiling?

1. Jabari Smith Jr

2. Evan Mobley

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yeah I don’t understand that tweet.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Considering Smith is going to be Hakeem with Curry’s 3 this is a no brainer.

clos4life, jiggyfly and Hakeemtheking like this.
  3. thekad

thekad Member

I think it’s about even overall. Jabari obviously projects to be a better shooter; Mobley a more impactful defender. Mobley’s passing is impressive, but Jabari’s is actually underrated. He averaged similar #s on a worse team at a younger age.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Mobley was very consistent from start to finish. It's quite rare for a rookie.

There are two ways to interpret it.
    The positive interpretation: He is amazingly-NBA ready and will have a great career.
    The negative interpretation: We didn't see much progress through the season. It could be because he was already near his ceiling.

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  5. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Tari and Bari have a chance to be really really special on defense. Like All TEAM DEFENSE.

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I was comparing Jabari Smith to Tracy McGrady I was kind of right.

Tracy McGrady as a Toronto Raptor in his First Few Seasons as a Very Young Player.
    Tracy was a Defensive Player, A High Flying Shot Blocker. He has a Career High 10 Blocks against the Rockets

7. conquistador#11

Jarrett did the heavy lifting. When Mobley went down, Mobley's back up did Mobley things. Later towards the end of the season when Jarrett was injured, Mobley's offense went up but his "defense" was exposed. Jabari won't have a Jarrett next to him on the defensive side. Coaches can say Tate is the leader of the Defense but I expect Jabari to become the leader of the defense by the All star break. It will be more impressive than anything Mobley does. Not holding my breath for the 'analysts' to give a Houston Rocket love for being a one man wrecking crew on Defense.

Xopher and ApacheWarrior like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I was mostly joking, but there is some truth in humor.

I'm a believer that Jarrett Allen coming of age made Mobley look better
    than he was.....and from what I read at the time, the Cavs DRtg jumped
    up to 119 when Jarrett Allen went down.

Not sure if it (DRtg) recovered by seasons end? But we are talking about
    basically replacing JA, Mobley, Markkanen with Love, Mobley, Markkanen.
    Love may be past his prime.....just a little.

Edited: looking at game logs, I take it back:
    Love started 2 games ( 0 prior to JA going down )
    Moses Brown started 5 games during that stretch.

#168 ApacheWarrior, Jul 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

It was a tale of two situations for me. With Jarret Allen and without Jarret Allen. Two widely varied outcomes. When Mobley can roam around due to having a center next to him he is at his most efficient and effective on defense. He can take advantage of mismatches on offense and is great with putbacks and offensive rebounds and when combined with Allen is a relentless frontcourt on the glass. With all that Mobley is still refining his offensive game. He is a pretty bad 3 point shooter and his free throw % is a little eye raising. Awesome player that is still evolving. Will be cool to see all the new big man blood develop and compete in the NBA for the next decade.

Easy likes this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think the one thing Mobley has over Smith is his bball IQ on offense. Mobley picked up a ton of easy buckets because he reads the defense quite well, and is always moving to the right spot to either get a tip in, or a lob for a easy dunk. I do find Jabari kind of lost on where to go without the ball on offense, he's very mechanical in all of his movements to go to certain spots.

He needs to get over being timid in the key imo, because that's where you can pick up a lot of easy points.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

it was supposed to be a post of not worrying about Jabari's jumper as well. Mobley was awful from 3 and the FT line but was making an impact on every game and Jabari is way better at 3 and FT percentage than Mobley is for sure. As long as Jabari is making a good impact on defense like he has been and can score 14-16 points and help rebound and shoot like he's been shooting prior to SL, we are in great shape. So it's more of a don't worry about his jumper and Jabari can for sure can have a bigger ceiling than Mobley

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Mobley has higher ass ceiling.

apollo33 and jiggyfly like this.
  13. i3artow i3aller

:confused::rolleyes:

Only Bari's 3 pt shooting is better? Well that's just not true. Do better.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does bari do better than Mobley offensively besides shoot the 3?

Mobley has a better handle and he is better in the lane and at the rim.

I guess you are one of those guys who think all Mobley can do is dunk and get putbacks.

15. maj21

maj21 Member

Who tf cares?!?? Mobley isn’t a rocket so I don’t even think about his potential!! Haven’t thought about that since last year’s pre draft process

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

mid range jumpers imo. I actually think Jabari's shot is more suited for mid range jumpers, I predict he will be automatic from there once he gets comfortable.

Both Mobley and Jabari's post games needs work, but Mobley is longer and have slightly better footwork and therefore is more effective

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

Free throws for one

18. Milos

Milos Member

Yeah but Tmac was a skywalker type of generational athlete like MJ Kobe LBJ too

Bari has exceptional traits for his size ( lat agility, balance, fluid hips ) but he is nowhere near as vertically explosive as the group above and never will be

Also guarantee you Smith will never win a scoring title, let alone 4

Love the player
    Love his fit on this team
    But his individual ceiling does not approach peak Tmac
    Could still have a better career overall thru longevity and team success

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I was talking about with a live ball but I give you that what else?

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I would imagine they both have pretty standard 10-12 foot ceilings. Jabari hasn’t even been paid yet has he? So he prob has a 10 foot ceiling apartment. Maybe 8 feet if he’s unlucky. Mobley on the other hand has a year of checks and might have bought a house by now. I’m sure he bought something with higher ceilings given his height.
    My jokes are worse than your dads.