1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

how much was the ID4? Did they try to throw any deals for the rest of the cars?

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

First, nobody needs a Hummer, electric or gas. Second, there is no perfect solution and we can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Every car, battery, solar panel, and pretty much everything we use depends on ripping stuff from the earth and processing it. There will be energy costs and environmental costs too. Still, EVs are significantly less of a problem even considering the build process. As we do move more towards more wind and solar, that advantage will grow even greater and those costs will go down but will never be zero. And really, we don't have much choice. We've got to get off ICE ASAP even though our politics will not allow the rapid change we need--so incremental it is.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

ID4 was just a tester so that one wasn't for sale. I contacted a different VW dealership and they said that any custom ordered ID4 will be sold at MSRP, but the wait is 6-8 months. The salesperson also said that it's possible the wait would be shorter in a few months once the plant in Tennessee gets up and running.

I didn't ask how much the markup was for the KIA, but the salesperson said they're only getting a few units per month so I'll have to get on a list. Hyundai was 'MSRP' with $2000 mostly useless and overpriced dealer add on.

It really is a pretty awful time to buy a car. The ID4 at MSRP+$7500 tax credit is really quite a decent deal in comparison.

cheke64 likes this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

In addition to opening up the network, the US needs to mandate a single fast charging standard like the EU has. In Europe, Tesla's now have to use the CCS standard port and Tesla chargers in the EU have already been getting CCS cables added to them.

In the US, we have three standards (CCS, Tesla and Chademo). We really need the government to mandate a single standard to make the EV network fully interoperable.

6. rimrocker

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Utahns using e-bikes to avoid buying gas

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Those rims are weak AF.

10. rimrocker

I'm more worried about the front bumper. As in, there is no front bumper.

I assume it is under all that plastic somewhere, but a very minor tap and you're looking at a huge repair bill just to restore the cosmetics. Seeing this with a lot of newer-ish cars. Lexus are the worst. Just look at that and imagining tapping the car in front of you. Plastic shards all over the road.
    [​IMG]

Sajan likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. The shifter on the GV60 is crazy. But... we're getting there. :D

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. Sajan

Sajan Member

13. geeimsobored

Super cruise is the best self driving product on the market right now and its not even close. Yes its limited to mapped highways but its designed more intelligently than Tesla's solution. By not overpromising and pretending that they can have self driving on all roads, GM delivered a more reliable solution for self driving.

14. jchu14

I hate how Super Cruise is a subscription feature though and at $25/month (after the first three free years) seems pretty steep to me. Maybe it's inevitable, but cars going into a subscription model is so bad for consumers.

I am pretty excited the Blazer announcement today though. It should give a good idea what the cost of EVs will be without federal tax benefit priced in.

15. KingCheetah

Those rims are weak AF.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

17. jchu14

That video makes me mad. I don't know if Karl Rove is intentionally being dumb or if he doesn't bother reading the source of his talking points.

He presented the numbers $0.4508/mile for EV and $0.4727 for ICE as fuel cost, but the source (page 175, table b1) clearly states that those two numbers are the cost per mile in total for the life of the vehicle. This number includes the purchase price of the vehicle, interest, fuel, maintenance, insurance, repairs etc.

So even though the purchase price of the comparable BEV is $11,600 more. The BEV actually costs less to own over its lifetime compared to a gas vehicle.

18. geeimsobored

They're all going subscription now. It's going to be awful unless governments decide to step in. Tesla FSD has a subscription (although you can pay a huge amount up front as well) and Ford Blue Cruise has a subscription as well (I think their subscription is in three year increments).

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hell, man, BMW is going subscription for heated seats. :D

Sajan likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Sajan likes this.