1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colin Sexton - Future Rockets Starting PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, May 10, 2022.

?

Good fit for us?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Sexton is a shorter less athletic version of Green. So no

Nook and saleem like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

TyTy has the floater and shots in the lane/paint to be an effective PnR player.
    He won't get all the way to the rack and finish but score well enough on those
    6 to 10 footers to draw enough attention to free up others on the perimeter
    or hit the roll man for lobs (floater is accurate to both rim or lobs) or Pick-n-Pop
    action.

Having said that, I can see handoffs also working much the same.

TyTy in isolation probably won't be there vs NBA players as he is not
    elusive, quick, and lacks speed to get by players without assistance (screens).
    TyTy has to get a running start from, say, mid court on his approach to get by that
    initial defender (in summer league). NBA players may often punch that away
    and head the other way for fast breaks.

Defensively TyTy will be targeted both on the perimeter and in the interior.
    He will require help defenders to assist him; but you know I often say, no
    NBA players can be defended well enough one-on-one. Maybe only
    Jimmy Butler can shut down other players....and that's a maybe.
    ------------------------------

TyTy is probably a back up at best for the future. I can see the Rockets
    drafting Scoot Henderson if we strike out on Wembanyama. The
    combination of Jalen Green and Scoot that I projected with Green and Ivey.
    Scoot being a better Josh Christopher......more willing to pass while a
    better scoring threat.

Or extension for Porter, which means he performed better this season
    or free agency as Wall and Eric Gordon money constraints will be
    gone by then.

Looking at the list of PG or SG that off season is pretty thin. That's
    why I wanted Ivey this draft. Jabari was the right pick though.
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2023/shooting-guard/

Nick Smith and Anthony Black are other options from next year's draft.

#62 ApacheWarrior, Jul 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    saleem likes this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Bravo Apache, you've surpassed yourself. I got a bit overexcited by TyTy 's potential. I know he's only good at getting steals on defense for now. If he gets fitter and works harder on perimeter defense with his 6' 9 wingspan, he can stay on the floor for extended minutes on occasions.

raining threes and ApacheWarrior like this.
  4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

is sexton any better than KPJ? sexton maybe the better scorer but KPJ is an elite C&S player, an better dribble creator, and an improving defender.

this is how I see our PG situation:

1. give KPJ a last chance to hold his starting spot this year. maybe we extend him, maybe we let him go. maybe he's paid to be the starting PG, maybe a 6th man combo guard. but he's got the inside track. its his to lose this year.

2. TyTy and nix battle it out for the chance to start next year if KPJ drops the ball somehow

3. '23 draft has a lot of PG's in the top 10. can't count on winning the lotto for wemby but its good to know that scoot Henderson, amen Thompson (combo), nick smith (combo), Anthony black, and terq smith (combo) are all possibly lottery picks at least at this point in the draft process. the combo guards are trying to show they can play PG to up their value, similar to ivey last year. we may not get another top 5 pick (I hope we're better this year) but we likely will be drafting in the top 10.

4. '23 FA - we'll have a lot of cap space and a veteran here could help the team a lot. pat Bev, reggie Jackson, and Dlo are some options, but last resort type ideas.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If Tyty and nix are battling for starter pg duties we will have blown the 2023 draft and entire off-season.

saleem, Dobbizzle and BigShasta like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes I agree. TyTy is kinda flabby. And he takes risks which results in more steals.
    But like we saw with Jalen Green....rookies don't usually get the calls.
    Actually get called for fouls more often if they reach in.

TyTy will be a good PnR presence and Silas wants players to
    run PnR. This is why I say TyTy over Nix......but people need to
    keep in mind that there is a reason why a player was selected
    #29 in the draft (TyTy) and why some were undrafted (Nix).

saleem likes this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

Both Sexton and KPJ are looking for their extension. Both are combo guards at the 1 for their team, score first, but also act as primary ball handler and expected to initiate for their team.

A comparable season is Sexton at age 22 (2020-21) to KPJ at 22 (last year 2021-22). Not just the age, but also number of games played, since Sexton was mostly injured last year. Cavs had 22 wins two seasons ago, and Rockets 20 wins last season, so both were teams were bad those years.

Def RTG (almost dead even)
    Collin: 114.0
    KPJ: 114.9

STL and STL % (KPJ slightly better)
    Collin: 1.0 and 18.7
    KPJ: 1.1 and 25%

Block (KPJ a bit better)
    Collin: 0.2
    KPJ: 0.4

Opponent points off of turnover. Collin slightly better
    Collin: 13.1
    KPJ: 14.0

Opponent points fastbreak (about the same, Collin slightly better)
    Collin: 10.0
    KPJ: 11.3

Opponent PTS paint (about the same)
    Collin: 36.4
    KPJ: 34.7

DBPM (about the same)
    Collin: -1.9
    KPJ: -1.6
    ...Tate for example was better with -0.5

Player scoring 3 feet within Collin / KPJ, about the same. Collin slightly better.
    DFG made / DFG attempts : DFG%
    Overall Collin: 5.6 / 11.4 : 48.6% (in 60 games 2020-21)
    Overall KPJ : 6.2 / 12.2 : 51.1% (in 61 games 2021-22)

In comparison, Tate had 45.5% and Mobley was 45.4% last year.

So defensively both guys are about the same, maybe a slight edge to KPJ, again was a 'neutral' defender (not a plus or minus defender).

----
    The offensive stats are easy to lookup, so not going to post them here. The one thing to highlight is in Collin's TS% was 56.0 and 57.3 (in 2019 and 2020, where he played 60+ games, and very good true shooting % for a guard at that volume). KPJ was 52.8 (as SG) 53.1% (as PG). Sure Wood is gone, so volume may tick up for KPJ. KPJ is not an efficient scorer, but not terrible. Having some scoring gravity is great, but the question is can he set other guys up. Particularly now that Jabari is on the team.

Turn over %, Collin was lower at 11.6% and KPJ at 17.7%.

--------
    TLDR: Defensively they are about the same (neutral). Collin is better offensively. As a PG, he's less turn over prone, but tbh I would rather Stone get someone other than Collin or KPJ, who have more passing (setting guys up ability).

But as a scoring combo guard at the 1, is he an upgrade over KPJ? - yes without a doubt. Remember both guys were on the same bad Cavs team; Collin was the starter, and when Darius came, KPJ was still relegated to the bench.

Is Collin worth the money his agent is asking for? Probably not. That said Cavs still has a good chance to re-sign him. Koby Altman and Sexton's agent are reported to still have a good relationship. Since Darius bloomed and Cavs are good again, Collin's leverage is lower, so his asking price might be lower now.

As a Rockets fan, I rather Stone not pursue Sexton. But, I'm also concerned how much money KPJ is looking to get. Collin is probably not the answer but he's definitely better than KPJ at current stage of their career. This is weird to say, since Collin is only a year older.

I also don't see Collins wanting to come here, unless Rockets offer significantly more money than the Cavs. If money was the same, wouldn't Sexton rather play on a team with a better chance at playoffs.

We really need Nix/Tyty to bloom, and Stone should also keep searching elsewhere. In my mind, the 1 spot is still wide open.

#67 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  8. VoR

VoR Member

You misspelled Tyus Jones.

lionaire and raining threes like this.
  9. jayfree

jayfree Member

Sexton not Sexy enough

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. comrade

comrade Member

You misspelled Tre Jones

lionaire likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You misspelled Terrence Jones

GotGame15 and lionaire like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

More of a "no" now for me than a few months ago.

Even though I'm not a big proponent of KPJ, I still would rather see what he can provide this season.

King1, saleem and Dobbizzle like this.
  13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I don't like KPJ at all but I certainly don't want Sexton. He's just as worthless

Nook and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I don't LOVE Sexton, but you're using last year's 11 games for that 24%. His career average is just under 38%.

Nook likes this.
  15. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Other than petty conflict, there is nothing, NOTHING, CF Nation seems to love more than pining after score-first combo guards to be Rockets’ answer at PG.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think KPJ has a better year than Sexton. I don't even think it is likely KPJ is the pg of the future but he has certainly earned another year.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yep. Author busts out a headline like "Collin Sexton named potential free agency target for Houston," then the article pretty much says that the only person doing the "naming" is the author.

18. verysimplejason

I'd like to take on a cheap experiment with McCallum. Who knows, it might work.