1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's up with Marvel?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jul 15, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with the other posters. It's hard to keep up quality with this much material and covering this much time. The success with some of the MCU movies was that they walked a fine line of having some heft to them but not dour downers some of the DC movies. They had some humor to them but not silliness like Green Lantern.

I also think too much is made that it's because they are too woke. As I said in the other thread Black Panther was very woke. Even the redemption of Killmonger was very woke as it was the elite T'Challa coming to understand why Killmonger growing up poor and abandoned would be so angry. On top of that having Shuri, the female bodyguards and a lot of in your face messages about the evils of Colonialism.

A movie can be both woke and good if it's writing, producing and acting are also good. It can be woke and be terrible if it doesn't have those factors (see Wonder Woman 1984).

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, a lot of this is people comparing movies with major marvel pillar characters with deep history about major marvel story lines to TV shows and support type characters movies. I didn't see anyone complaining that Antman and the Wasp wasn't as good as Infinity War.

I would say people should just compare TV shows with TV shows. Compare Falcon/Winter Soldier to Flash or Wandavision to supergirl. And, realize a guy like Shang Chi is not intended to be Cap or Iron man.

Also, the biggest marvel miss was actually Captain Marvel in phase 3 when you consider the hype with the expectation for how important she will be and how OP she is. My guess is that Boseman's black panther was going to play a major role going forward with FF, Thor, and Captain Marvel as the others on the A squad.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Expectations are at an all time high.
    In some cases the standard could be near impossible to meet
    I'm not saying that the stuff is GREAT
    but it is not as bad as some say

Funny - Marvel is like Harden (just to mess with people)
    He was so good for so long . . .that 22-10-8 is considered subpar

Rocket River

Nook and Slyonebluejay like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

marvel looks kinda messy right now with no direction. they've announced that they're going with solos post end game to intro new characters but spidey and strange doctor aside, they've been super meh.

too bad there's not much alternative. dc has been lelz and star wars underwhelming. thank jayz for the boys. long live homelander

5. i3artow i3aller

6. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with about everything that was posted here except for Shang Chi. I thought it was good. They did a disservice to the Mandarin, but overall I can't wait to see wait they do with the characters. Also, I wonder if the sister taking over the dad's organization might be one of the larger villain stories.

JamesC likes this.
  7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I thought Black Widow, the latest Spiderman and Dr. Strange were excellent and I am digging Ms. Marvel immensely.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

IMO BW was pretty good but pointless outside of introducing Yelena Belova, which is why I wasn’t enamored with it. I guess I will appreciate it more on a chronological rewatch in a few years.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man. Completely forgot a BW movie exists.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nobody complained about Antman and the Wasp because everybody knew where that phase was going, it was still a C movie at the best and marvel had built up a lot of goodwill at that point so nobody really cared.

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Fixed.

Spiderman was absolutely not that good, just based on the entire premise of how the multiverse happened alone.

12. STR8Thugg

Antman and the wasp was exponentially better than Iron Man 3.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. STR8Thugg

Ugh, really???

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. And here's an example of what I'm talking about ... Iron Man, Shang Chi, Captain America, and Black Widow in the comic books have no business being mentioned in the same breath along the likes of Thanos, the Celestials, Thor (maybe), and Doctor Strange. Thanos is an uber-level villain, but there are tons of villains out there that would make him look weak (minus the Infinity Gauntlet, that is). A lot of what made Thanos was his story, too. In the comic books, Doctor Strange's enemies can be on his level and beyond (minus the Infinity Gauntlet, that is). The Celestials would crush Thanos (minus the Infinity Gauntlet, that is).

But this, of course, coming from a guy that hasn't watched any of the movies yet. :D

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Shang Chi was pretty damn good or am I just way off here?

Character development equals Phase 4.

Once everyone starts teaming up, we will all get excited again.

It will just never be the same as before and that is ok. We just witnessed the golden era of comics to movies and it was amazing.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think bringing back the OG cast in some way, minor or major, temporarily, is inevitable. I just hope they wait another 7-12 years to do it. They can CGI people to look younger. Or roll with the older looks. Chris Evans will look fine in 10 years.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Spider-Man and moon knight are 2 of the best things Marvel has done.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Thanos listened to OP and snapped out half the bad marvel movies.

19. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Pretty sure there have already been more than enough marvel movies…

rhino17 and RedIsen like this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Far too many new characters and questionable/lazy writing.

dmoneybangbang likes this.