1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Former Astros Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by torque, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep… western Canada has always been strong blue jays country.

No Worries likes this.
  2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Jordan Lyles and Cionel Perez tandem worked pretty well tonight for Baltimore

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How is Lyles still only 31?

Nook and Tomstro like this.
  4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Keuchel gave up 8 runs, 7 earned in 2.1 innings. Guess Strom couldn't fix him. Sporting an 8.53 ERA now.

5. Buck Turgidson

I'm 28 in baseball years.

msn and jiggyfly like this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

His first manager was Brad Mills....

7. Nook

Nook Member

He faced adversity for the first time and failed at an incredible level. Very few people in his situation have failed in the fashion he did absent drugs or crime.

He is older now, maybe he handles it better now. Also, this is the first season he has really been used out of the pen. The Phillies let the Astros know they would be calling him up before releasing the information and I thought that was cool.

FWIW I think he will do well out of the pen and be successful. It’s a different job than starting.

cdastros likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

If they are racist, homophobic or sexist, then they are douches. Claiming religious justification for it means squat.

HeyBudLetsParty, JeeberD and cmlmel77 like this.
  9. Screaming Fist

Maldy + Castro = -0.7 WAR

Stassi + Stubbs = 1.5 WAR

make it make sense

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Trading away Stassi was a bad trade. I still think that trade was made because Verlander didn’t like Stassi but that is only my speculation.

The Stubbs trade was fine; obviously Houston (and most of us) didn’t expect Castro to suck this bad this year. Stubbs is so small he’s unlikely to ever play full time and his ceiling is pretty limited, and Houston had other solid catching prospects coming up behind him in Lee and Diaz (and maybe a couple others). Plus the Phillies sent over a decent prospect with pretty high upside in Logan Cerny, who in his 95th percentile outcome would be a star CF putting up 20/20 seasons.

11. Screaming Fist

I agree with Stubbs, although maybe he can hack it as a backup C for a few years in the majors. Stassi on the other hand has been the total package outside of a couple of years where he forgot how to hit. Talented baseball player.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I miss Stubbs more. Always believed he would be a good backup catcher.

Neither though is a big miss, as you can't keep guys forever and they both would have just been backups. Laureano is the guy most missed who got dealt for roster reasons.

Nook and Wulaw Horn like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We've answered this question...repeatedly.

You obviously don't agree with the answer, I'm not sure I do, but it's not gonna change no matter how many times people ask.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Screaming Fist

Stassi has been playing at like a 5+ WAR/600 PA rate since leaving for LA. There is a good chance Stassi puts up more value in LA than Hader does in Milwaukee when it's all said and done, and Astros fans rightly see the Hader trade as being a total disaster. Astros at least got MLB players in exchange for Hader while they got a couple of guys you've never heard of for Stassi.

15. juicystream

He's played 193 games in LA and posted a 2.3bWAR. Fangraphs apparently values catcher defense differently and his value is higher, but mostly off of last season. He's not good at throwing out runners. His framing rates highly, but his game calling has been called into question and it isn't like they get good pitching results over there.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Screaming Fist

Stassi began his career as a pretty poor pitch framer but around 2017 I believe he spent a lot of time working on that aspect of his game and he's put up like 10+ framing runs each full season since. Meanwhile, the most runs his arm has cost him in a single season was three. It's impossible for us to say much about his game calling but I find it hard to believe someone with Stassi's work ethic would suffer at that aspect of this game.

17. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Does their religion make them racist, homophobic or sexist? How does your beliefs about them not make you just as bigoted? Why should hatred and intolerance be acceptable only from those of your ilk?

18. juicystream

Are you bigoted if you don't like the KKK?

Nook likes this.
  19. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

In this specific situation, yes their religion is literally making them homophobic. Not a difficult concept. Read the quote by Adams.

Nook likes this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I wish we could get a different word than homophonic. It irritates me when words are used that don’t make sense with their definition. There is no phobia (fear) in that situation even though nobody means it that way when they say it. End pedantic rant.

raining threes and Nook like this.