1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Where's Vandy though?

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

It's always fun to hear the "SEC SEC SEC" chant by rando SEC schools in non-conference games. They're just piggybacking on the success of the bigboys, so that they're great by simple association. but @MadMax can explain himself, if you still can't figure out what he was saying.

As far as UT goes, I'll miss playing some of the schools, I'm excited about playing Arky/Aggy/LSU. I couldn't give 2 s**ts about the rest of the schools in that conference.

jiggyfly and TheJuice like this.
  3. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I hate that ****. It's so stupid and no self respecting school should do that. I root against any SEC team that's not Georgia unless they're playing a team that can affect UGA's chances in the playoff.

Except for the Iron Bowl. I root for the refs on that one. Although I mayyyy have been rooting for Florida when they went down to the wire against Bama (that the idiot bartender flipped away from so we could watch the pre-game analysis of a South Carolina game).

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Aggies are not a rando SEC school so I still don't know what Vanderbilt has to do with A&M.

I did figure out what he was saying, A&M is not a random SEC school, they have finished in the top 5 most of the time they have been in the conference.

They are not on Vandy's level at all.

What do I need to figure out?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You need to figure out how to endure and enjoy and get off to playing schools with fanbases that suck, like Iowa State and Kansas and Cincinnati, in a conference nobody wants to be in (except UH, lulz). Because - somehow - playing the same old local/historic teams is fun, but playing (and visiting stadiums) with great fanbases and great atmosphere like LSU or Bama or Florida or GA is boring as hell somehow. Lulzmbop.

Yall delusional.

UT playing TN, GA, Bama, LSU is ****ing FUN and you know it.

Grow up.

Oh yeah, let's play Kansas every ****ing year and nobody new ever, **** yeah, so funnnnnn. Same lame ass 10 teams or 9 or 8, however few the Big 12 has now.

Lulzt.

NEXT

arkoe, jiggyfly and TheJuice like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Playing big name schools is fun.

Know what's not so fun?

Going 6-6 every year for 20 years at a time after everything gets whittled down to B1G vs SEC exclusively.

Fans are so spoiled with 9 win minimums this is going to be a gigantic moodshift coming to the realization that there's no more cupcakes to get fat on.

TheJuice likes this.
  7. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Come to athens. We can hit on divorced MILFs visiting their kids on Gameday.

Ziggy likes this.
  8. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Oh yeah. The mood here is going to be interesting if Texas is regularly missing conference championships...especially after landing Golden Boy Arch.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It'll probably be consistent with the mood of the last 100-200 pages of the UT football thread.

10. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

FWIW, I always like Vince Young and Colt McCoy.

11. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If SEC isn't expanding, then I think there won't be any major realignment for the time being. The ACC will remain intact, without being poached. Pac will remain until Oregon gets invited to the Big 10, if that ever happens. Maybe we add 2 schools. Big 12 stays the same.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Because they're both in the SEC. Vandy has won a national title in baseball, so there's that.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And they already go 6-6 every year and miss the conference championship.

TheJuice likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Here's what this means.

1) There's no viable expansion candidates left (ACC GOR still a mess, OU/UW not worth the effort ATM, etc)
    2) There's no other conferences expanding in such a way as to threaten our status at the top tier of CFB (Notre Dame gumming up B1G plans)

This could all explode open at any moment if ND joins the B1G/ACC or if the ACC GOR gets worked out. Outside shot if the Big 12 grabs some PAC schools, might spark something as well.

We're headed to two mega conferences. The question is not if, but when.

TheJuice likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Brando2101 likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

I'd rather go to coastal Carolina, either one.

Keep waving them flags though.

18. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Ive got all year to strike out with undergrads. But divorced MILFs only show up so often...and theyre generally easier.

19. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Yeah that's how I took it. The article makes a good point that by bringing in UT/OU the SEC TV deal is huge even at only 16 teams. If you add more teams, they're going to dilute how much each school gets unless it's a big name program.

Even if Notre Dame joins the B1G (which works for both geography and also their annual rivalry with USC), I don't see who the SEC would want to add. Ideally, they'd love to kick out Vanderbilt, and probably Mizzou, in exchange for Clemson and Miami. I don't believe they can do that. Even then, Idk if Miami football is as big of a draw as it was in the 1980s and 90s. I knew a few girls that went to the U and they didn't care about football and said there wasn't much of a tail-gating culture. They made the U sound more like its rich kids doing cocaine at clubs that think they're too cool for football. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong people though.

Kentucky football has shot up and they're a big basketball school...they'd be perfect for the ACC except there's no incentive to. They make more being a middle tier football team in the SEC than they do being a top 2 in the ACC football. Also SEC basketball is so piss-poor that Kentucky can coast through most of the season...especially with their recruiting advantage.

Now, Notre Dame could shock everyone and join the SEC, which isn't too crazy IMO. Yes, Indiana isn't a "Southern" state, but is Missouri? It's also closer to the schools in the SEC East then Texas A&M is. Notre Dame also played a home-home series with UGA recently and so many ND fans came UGA had to build temporary seating; so their fans are willing to travel. But other than Notre Dame (who has a massive TV deal) and maybe Clemson, I don't see who else the SEC would want to add. Yeah it's going to be weird to be a smaller conference, but they'll be smaller in size and not revenue.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Could also be the SEC saying all the right things publicly while letting things develop behind the scenes. Not to mention they’d be opening themselves up to lawsuits should they “actively” try to poach.

The ACC GOR is pretty ironclad so any deflecting school is gonna have their work cut out for them. But make no mistake, Clemson, Miami and FSU would be absolute takes for the SEC if they can make it work.

That being said, don’t think the SEC is in all that much of a rush. Those ACC teams will want out, just a matter of when.

#880 gucci888, Jul 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2022