1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man...We got unlucky with Jabari Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Jul 9, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude?

I did not start the comparison I was responding to a post that tried to claim Draymond took 5 years in the NBA to create his skillset.

you are not making any sense I am done with you.

3. Landry's Tooth

Why would a defender worry so much about a below average 3pt shooter?

Maybe he improves like Tatum or maybe he's a 33% guy most of his career...

The usage was posted to show how despite being the 5th most efficient scorer on his team he took it upon himself to take the most shots and control the ball most.

Not sure what your point was...

4. Landry's Tooth

Ok, so he had bad teammates his first couple years who couldn't make their shots... those splash brothers messing up his numbers...

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think Paolo will ever be as great as Carmelo. Carmelo is one of the most polished scorers I have ever witnessed. I always thought for the 6-7 years in their careers, Carmelo was a better pure scorer than Lebron.

Melo is too disrespected for no reason.

6. Landry's Tooth

I'm trying to be nice but asking obvious things is very ridiculous...

Ok, the point is while generally players get better as they age, on occasion some do not. I then gave you a prominent example.

ROY over Harden, Curry, Derozan, etc.

Then got worse...

"Usage not much greater"

?

Keels was less efficient. Moore was more efficient. His usage was 40% higher than a more efficient scorer.

If someone else is better at scoring then a good decision maker finds ways to get them the ball more.

The Rockets designed their offense out of Capela pick and rolls to take advantage of his high efficiency. That's good decision making... maybe blame poor coaching... maybe some of both...

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Nah dawg you trippin. Paolo is on a different tier

8. omgTHEpotential

I agree that Melo gets a little too much hate. He was a nice volume scorer in the pre-analytics NBA. He may have had a big bag of tricks, but he was never very efficient. Just the nature of his game which was midrange heavy.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Jabari’s defense is basically on Chet’s level. He doesn’t block as many shots, but he’s a better switch defender. His defense has really impressed me. His ability to create his own shot and stiff play is a legit criticism, and hopefully the rumors about his work ethic are true. If so, he’ll improve that part of his game and become an AllStar. Excited by the upside, but folks are gonna have to be patient. He’s the youngest player on the team; one of the youngest in the league.

Easy, Boii, GotGame15 and 2 others like this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He had average efficiency by modern standards, but if you compared his stats to his peers at the time, his advanced numbers were always above average, especially for a wing who takes most of the team's most difficult shots.

As you said, that was just the style of play back then, basically you can say no shooting guard/wing in that 2000's era was efficient. Including Kobe, Iverson, Melo, Vince Carter, Tmac etc. etc.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I think Paolo is a good guy to start to build around, he can be an engine on offense and a real number 1 option between his scoring and playmaking abilities, but if you believe in Jalen Green as being a guy you can build an offense around you could argue Jabari was a better pick for us, and even more so if you think Sengun is a long term piece too. 3 and D guys are the guys you'd probably want to put around Jalen and Jabari is quickly showing he's going to be elite at that. It opens up a lot of defensive flexibility that could be huge, you wouldn't get that with Paolo (although you'd get other good things)

For the record, I was fine with any of the 3 top guys. I actually had Jabari ranked 3rd as a prospect on my own board, but I could also argue he was the best fit for our team of the 3

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. Htown's Finest

I've watched entire games of this kid play in HS and college, not just a few highlights. I don't give a **** if you believe that or not. You're the same guy that made the Curry can't win thread (or whatever the hell that shyt was called) and looked STUPID. Basketball IQ is not one of your specialties, so I don't expect much from you to be honest in this area...

majicdonjuan, Drift Monkey and Salvy like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL.

Somebody is all up in their feelings.

Are you actually upset because of that thread?

Even he has admitted he has the weakness I am talking about but since you watched him in HS you know more than he does?

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

He is just a troll... Dude knows nothing..... Especially on Jabari.....

majicdonjuan, Drift Monkey and Reeko like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You are not even trying to make sense anymore.
    You can have more than one guy who can be an engine on offense, all championship teams do, why do you think most championship teams have at least a big 2.

Why not have that big 2 and then fill around them, it's harder to get a Banchero type than a Smith type.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Aldridge was much more than a turnaround jump shooter in the post he commanded a double team in the post, we really need to stop with the comparisons.

No team plays like that anymore are we going to go back to that style and hope to be a contender?

18. Htown's Finest

Don't flatter yourself doofus lol. I would actually have to CARE about you or what you said to actually be upset. Every player has weaknesses including LeBron, Wilt Chamberlain, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, and even everyone's favorite Michael Jordan. Nobody is saying that Jabari shouldn't improve his handle, on the contrary he should. But if he doesn't then so what? He's still going to be a very very good player despite that one deficiency. We don't need a team full of ball stoppers. We already have 3 guys that need the ball in their hands to be effective (although Jalen Green does move very well without the ball I might add) that are starters for us in Sengun, KPJ, and Green. You just don't get it...

#458 Htown's Finest, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    majicdonjuan and Drift Monkey like this.
  19. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I guess I need to watch more tape on banchero. For some reason I’ve got it in my head he catches, reads the play and then goes into a mid post iso. The plays I’ve seen from him just seem slow to progress. While his footwork and bag is deep it seems his finishes still require strength instead of separation. I’d much rather him have already read the play and then immediately go into his action or catch and go instead of catch, think, process, if that makes any sense.

this is kind of hot takey but I’m actually not a fan of tatums overall game. I don’t like the complete reliance on tough shot making. I think he’s made huge strides and is a much better playmaker than when he came in though. Excited for his future. And most definitely Paolo reminds me of Tatum. There similarities out of college were uncanny. Even down to some stats.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If he doesn't it's more than so what, he would at best be the 3rd guy on a championship team and could not carry the offense when needed.

No, we don't need a team of ball stoppers but we need as many shot creators and playmakers as possible.

None of those guys had a glaring weakness like Smith the fact that you even bring them up in comparison to Smith shows you don't get it or have a clue.

The fact that you think Sengun KPJ and Green are already starters on a contender shows you don't get it, none of those guys has proven they are are starters on a contender and I love Sengun as a player,