1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

There isn't going to be a starting "PG" on this team - Get used to it

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 10, 2022.

1. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

The point about Atlanta was further proven in the Celtics Brooklyn matchup. Heliocentric play was loaded up against. Boston was able to guard Durant more effectively than curry. When you got all eyes on center it’s easier to load up to stop the one guy. Now if you have a vertical spacer with 2 way wings you likely won’t beat that team but finding those role players is just as hard.

agreed about TyTy. While I appreciate his game and IQ, sidebar i actually hate playing pickup games against high iq table setting quick PGs, I don’t know if his ceiling is one of our 5 closers on the floor. I feel like he’ll be tyus Jones and best case scenario Jalen Brunson. Which is not a bad player at all! I just preferred taking a swing on the wings left in the draft like Houston, Watson and particularly Christie. Christie in particular had positional size, with great defensive instincts and feet in college with a sweet stroke. I envisioned a closing lineup of green Christie tari bari and garuba(if he ever gets it together) with dynamic shooting all around green with switch heavy action throughout.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  2. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Bro. Kpj is nowhere near superstar potential

all star.. maybe.. según as well.

3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

As much as we want to fit green into a PG, he ain’t. And KPjr is still tryina be like James harden. JC seems to be more of a PG than the other 2. Albeit he ain’t got that alpha attitude to start yet. We need a PG that doesn’t turn the ball over and can handle the rock. Pass first guy.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

its like a year ago never happened. Two great point guards helped guide their team to the NBA finals.

a good point guard:
    -plays good defense
    -doesn’t turn the ball over
    -creates and facilitates for his teammates
    -shoots efficiently

guys with this skills set don’t need to be magic Johnson. But we do need a player like this; especially important for Jabari’s development.

5. csc177

csc177 Member

Gone are the days when you have CP3 type point guards running the show. Look around the league of other teams starting point guards - playmakers run the show and offenses:

Luka
    Lebron
    Steph
    Ja
    Trae
    Giannis
    (List goes on)

We don’t need KP to be a true point guard - just make the right pass and put the ball in the bucket.

Plowman likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I expect that our offense won't be much better this season. Green will be better, of course. The other returning guys will improve but probably only marginally. We lost Wood (whose offense has been overshadowed by his glaring flaws), and probably Gordon too. They have been two of our best offensive players. We add Smith who I expect to struggle at least for the first part of the season, kind of like Green last year. The net result will be about the same, maybe slightly better.

The defense will be much improved. Adding Smith and Eason and subtracting Wood is huge, not to mention Sengun will improve in that department too. And we added good defensive assistant coaching staff. We won't be the worst team again by the defensive improvement alone.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

JC more of a PG. What game are you watching?

Plowman likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Plenty has to do with the development of the young players already on the team I agree. Im looking for big strides from KPJ and Jalen both as they develop more chemistry and understand each others game. I really hope Sengun is a more consistent shooter, but having him as a starter should help the movement and lead to easy buckets (I hope!). The new rooks just need to play a role and work on their game.

If this team struggles on offense then I hope next year fans that wanted defense this year will acquiesce and allow for some pure offensive bucket getters to be the hot topic in next years draft. Preferably those who can create for others just as well as they can for themselves and arent team dependent in order to be effective.

If the defense isnt much improved we have some big issues with the roster construct. I guess we can go ahead and blame the coaches now to shelter the players, but just on talent alone Im hoping they creep closer to middle of the pack on that side.

Easy likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yes. We are going to have one of the best transition offenses in the league. We will still probably struggle for a while in the half court until Jabari gets his confidence. I really like the way this re-build is going. I think we win 30-35 games this year, less if Silas and the new coaching staff don’t step up, especially on the defensive end. We could use a veteran center to step in when Sengun gets in foul trouble. I would also have a very short leash on Nix. Really wish we could have trumped the Pistons for Duren. He’s going to be a monster in a couple of years.

Easy likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

KPJ was playing at his best at the end of last season. I am still holding my breath about his development. I guess I just feel that he's too unstable to be relied on. Agreed about Sengun needing to be a better shooter, and more decisive at that end. If he can be respectable from midrange and 3, it will open up a lot of things.

We have the defensive talents now. It's up to the coaches to do their jobs. No more excuses.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Now that I've had a couple days to get used to this idea, im ok with it

Also, its 2022 and not 2006, what? Still not used to that.

Plowman, topfive and conquistador#11 like this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

My guess is we don't end up with Wembayama and instead have to draft Scoot as our franchise pg.

csc177 and KingSamJack like this.
  13. conquistador#11

I'm also ok with this but the coach has to know how to stagger minutes

14. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Works for me!

15. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

only one who has the ability to be a superstar on this team is Jalen Green, KPJ can be a star maybe..

16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Sad thing is Wembayama wants to play for us...

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Man, a front court with Jabari and Victor would be insane.

I'm afraid, though, that may be just a pipe dream. I doubt Tilman's ego can stomach another bottom-of-the-standings season. And Silas knows he' ll be judged by what happens on the court at this point because his career is now riding significantly on improvement.

So for us to get Victor, it will take us either a catastrophic injury to a key guy (not going to name names and jinx us) or a very lucky lottery drawing. I'm starting to see him in a Spurs uni.

18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Our problem is we don't have play. We just rely on player going iso. Silas said he did that on purpose on last 2 years. He said he will have more play. We'll
    JC? Josh Christopher? He's no PG. He's shoot first then pass. KPJ and JG are both willing passer but only if they know they can get the assist. We need players that make the simple play, not going for homerun play. I see that in Jabari, which is why he is boring to watch (no highlight).

19. TimDuncanDonaut

When people say PG they mean someone who can take care of the ball while initiate plays. If people go by position less, as in point guard, point forward or point center, teams still expect those intitators to possess those traditional 'pg' skills. So if even if a 'combo' guard, the point guard half of that combo is expected.

The complaint is that KPJ is still learning and not at that level yet.

Since Celtics was bought up. Smart, Brown and Tatum shared that duty. Some of this guard skills that was exposed was Smart and Brown's turnovers when under heavy ball pressure.

If anyone ever followed the Celtics, the Smart at PG is as divisive and much debates as it is here. (longer even). Kemba, Kyrie, there were other 'combo' guards before Smart that also did their pg duty. Brad Stevens in the off season went out and got Brogdon to supplement Smart, because they know they needed more/better from that 'pg' role.

AroundTheWorld and Easy like this.
  20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Tatum too. He had the most turnover in the final.

apollo33 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.