1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

Jabari will likely have a rookie season similar to JG offensively. You see the talent, but he's playing nervous, and thinking too much.

At least I hope that's the case, because the game is too fast for him to process right now, and if that doesn't improve, his role on offense will be strictly catch and shoot 3s. He can't dribble, and is too slow to make a move when he gets the ball. I like to think it's just nerves, but it is a little bit concerning.

His defense is great. He's switchable, has quick hands, great stance and moves laterally like a guard. I didn't expect this level of defense from him to be honest. I also like that he's vocal and shows leadership, and those traits will make him and the team better as he relaxes and matures.

ROCK3TM4N, jcmoon and bmelo like this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's not like Jalen lit it up in Summer League, Banchero definitely would've gone top 5 last season imo and has a really high floor&ceiling.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

jalen green was DOMINATING in summer league. 20 plus points every game and looking so flashy! his summer league got cut short cause of injury

4. conquistador#11

Quickly they forget Detroit even deployed a triple team on Jalen.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Lets bring back JVG as assistant coach!

Jontro likes this.
  6. Asian Sensation

Just want to offer a little perspective. I see a lot of name calling and personal attacks/I told you so’s. I know it’s hard to resist temptation to judge guys even after only a game or two in summer league or even a full year or even two or three full seasons at the pro level but let’s be patient and not rush to any rash conclusions. It might bite you in the ass. See Jalen Green after half a season.

Yes, Banchero looks better than Jabari now but ultimately what does that even mean after just a few summer league games? Not a whole lot.

Let me present/remind you of Oj Mayo, Tyreke Evans and Michael Carter Williams. 2 Rookie of the years and 1 runner up. All three of their best years were their rookie seasons. None of them are even in the league anymore and haven’t been so for at least a couple years minimum.

Another rookie of the year example. Blake Griffin’s arguably best season was his rookie year as well.

Now take Giannis… he made his NBA debut on October 13, 2013, at the age of 18 years, 311 days, as one of the youngest NBA players ever. He averaged 6.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.8 steals, and 0.8 blocks in 77 appearances during his rookie season. Now he’s considered the best or one of the best guys in the league.

Dirk as a rookie? 8.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg on 40% shooting.

Brandon Ingram 9 ppg, 4 rpg on 40% shooting.

Jayson Tatum took 4 years of steady improvement each year to become the player he is today.

There’s plenty more examples but these are the ones that immediately came to mind. My point? Let’s not jump to conclusions after a couple summer league games or even a year or two in the league when said player is barely 19.

I’m not going to stop or try to stop your opinion on either guy as early as it may be but I hope your guys give it at least a few years to get a clearer/more accurate assessment/opinion on them. Nobody is a finished product as a 19 year old rookie. I know we all have high hopes and expectations from our #3 overall pick and it’s hard not to judge right away but give him some time.

7. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

i remember that ! he played so well that we were all so excited! i also think we would of won the whole thing if he didnt get hurt

Drift Monkey likes this.
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I had the wrong stat line and admit defeat.
    Still think Paolo would have been a top5 pick tho.

jiggyfly and Jontro like this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

pablo ranchero would've been top 3 last year

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This post should be pinned for every draft really.

At the end of the day, when you draft top 5, you're drafting for the best player 5-10 years from now, not the best player right now.

Paolo is the best player right now, can't really debate that. Good body, crafty scorer, good passer, but I feel like his ceiling is a Melo that can pass, which is a really GREAT player, maybe even a perennial all-star, but maybe not a championship player if he's your first option.

I feel like Jabari because of his approach on the game, his work ethic, his frame, his defense, his shot, is the best prospect.

I'm not just saying this because we drafted him, I said this before the draft that he would be my #1 pick and never got behind him because I was sure Orlando would be drafting him and I had Chet behind him because I believe Chet's ability to be Gobert but can actually score also too has a higher ceiling than Paolo...

11. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I'm not saying he isn't the best talent in the draft (it's a possibility), but you guys are making these assumptions when these players haven't even played a single NBA minute let alone an entire season. You won't know what kind of player they will be like until the end of their rookie contract.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  12. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

This. People keep saying Stone should've traded up for Chet or Paolo didn't consider the fact that the two teams picking ahead of us would've asked for a couple of the Nets picks or something ridiculous like Jalen + 3rd pick. No one in this draft is worth trading the farm to move up 2 spots

13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Really solid defender. I absolutely love how he moves his feet and stays in front of anyone. He played Chet perfectly.

Two things I liked best...
    - He dove on the loose ball and immediately signaled for TO... hustle and savviness personified!
    - He made Giddey's last shot uncomfortable without fouling... real easy for young player to foul in that situation.

#1373 Shark44, Jul 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

360 dunks make the highlights, but stuff like this wins games.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Indeed, this was also his college scouting report and is basically who he is. He was in very low percentiles of scoring at the rim or getting past his man. His offensive game, at least right now, profiles as Ryan Anderson.

I like the pick because I think Jabari can become a top versatile paint defender a la Bam Adebayo or even Draymond without the eye scratching and throat punching and undercutting, and that combination with an Anderson offense and a bunch of ball dominant guards on the team is just fine.

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

Jabari is the black Ryan Anderson with Trevor Ariza handles and good defense.

17. PeppermintCandy

This is just a guess, but from what little I've seen of Smith's college season, he often took a half a second after receiving the ball to set up his shot. However he won't have that luxury against NBA defenses, and it seemed like he was already working to get his shot off faster. Because this, though, his shot is looking rushed and flat.

The good thing is that he's young and his mechanics are excellent. So he should be able to make the needed adjustments as the season progresses.

Little Bit likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Someone mentioned that Jabari should work with Dream for his foot work. I think it's an excellent idea. He doesn't need fancy dribbling. But he needs to learn to play in the paint. Not just simple turn around shots like he can do now, but ways to move around with the ball down low. He needs to get fouled more.

Come to think of it, he is actually the direct opposite of Sengun. Jabari is a straight forward offensive player. He doesn't make a lot of moves. He either just rises up and shoot, take one dribble sideway and shoot, or go straight line to the basket if there's an opening. He is very confident with his shot and does not hesitate. Because of that, he kind of has a tunnel vision at the basket and does not see the floor very well.

Sengun on the other hand often hesitates to take an open shot if he is not near the basket. And he loves to make a bunch of moves and countermoves to shake his defender. And we all know his uncanny court vision.

These two guys are the yin and yang of our front court. And hopefully they will not only complement each other but also influence each other to make each other a more complete player.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A really positive comment. I hope they don’t shut down Clutchfans over this.

20. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

No need to admit defeat ! We all rockets fans here .. I think Paolo would of been in the top 5 too. He’s a stud

Drift Monkey and Yung-T like this.