1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is one of the youngest teams in NBA history. It is expected that we would be one of the worst in the league. We are re-building and I think the roster construction Stone has been doing is incredible. Patience is necessary. Do you not think that Green is on track to be one of the best scoring SG’s in the league? Do you really think Sengun is going to be a bust? He is 19 for goodness’ sake. We got the best available player at 3 and he is a great fit next to our existing core of young players. They’ve said it from the start, 23-24 is when we will turn the corner, and, yes I believe it.

2. dmoneybangbang

It is also expected this team will be constructed differently when we are truly competing again.

I left out Green intentionally because he is as close to untouchable as possible on this team.

I don’t think Sengun will be a bust but I also haven’t pencilled him as untouchable much less someone who will be a starter on a competing team. The Paolo and Sengun fit was pretty immaterial to me since I believe the rockets need to be more concerned about acquiring the best talent.

KPJ is still a wild card as he may have another temper tantrum and leave a game or worse.

Too many posters are catching feelings for this current squad which is clouding the judgment. That’s not to be confused with not enjoying this current squad or not being excited.

jiggyfly and TheJuice like this.
  3. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I know it's just one game but I thought it was underwhelming. I can hear the criticism already - he's only 19, it's just one game, guards didn't pass him the ball - I agree I agree... but if you're good, you're good, and it shows. I'm not saying he won't be good, I'm just saying his game #1 in SL was underwhelming. Aside from numbers, I didn't see the impact that I was hoping to see. Maybe my expectations are too high, kill me already.

On the other hand, Paolo is a no-doubter all-star someday. This much is clear. Jabari's career doesn't have to be measured against Paolo necessarily but just an observation from game 1... from SL

4. maj21

maj21 Member

I never thought Jabari would be a go to guy. I’m perfectly fine with him being a 6’10” sniper that’s great and switchable on D. So the guard play does matter bc he’s a play finisher, not play starter.

Drift Monkey and wlekfjv923n like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree that no one other than green is untouchable, but I don’t agree that Banchero is all that or better for us than Jabari. Banchero is in the perfect place for him because they don’t have an alpha dog. We’ll see how great he is when teams scheme against him as the alpha dog. Green is our Batman and Jabari is the perfect robin or maybe even robin2 since KPJ may end up better than both of them. We are in great shape.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It's been one summer league game. Smith didn't shoot poorly or make bad plays. The entire team offense didn't appear to be very cohesive. If anything, I think he and Tyty were the only ones not jacking up ill advised shots. People are acting like he crapped his pants out there.

I also don't understand the continued comparisons to Banchero and Holmgren. Those guys went before our selection and were completely unavailable to us. Might as well complain about having Tyty over Jaden Ivey.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think people assume that you have to be the primary ball handler/creator to be the best offensive player of the team. If that was so, then all PGs would be the best offensive player on the team. That's clearly not the case.

I am not saying that Jabari will be our best offensive player. Green probably will be the guy. I'm just pointing out that not being a great ball handler/play maker does not automatically disqualify him as the #1 offensive option. You have to look at how the system is constructed with the personnel we have.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Rookie Melo could have come in and schooled up rookie Giannis and clutchfans would be losing their minds. We already knew Paolo was the most NBA ready right now. I'm impressed with his size. I knew the skill was there, but jeez he looks like a solidly built 6'11 and the fro adds even more. Jabari looks like a skinny kid next to him.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Not worried about the shooting but already you can see his weaknesses as a ball handler and playmaker.

Seems to have a quick feet so he should focus on feints + quick explosive 2-3 max dribble moves. Should study Odom, KG, Bosh. He seems to have the same body type and quickness to be able to work the elbow and run the floor.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  10. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I could understand going on and on about Banchero if we passed him up, but we had no say in the matter. Is this going to go on for the next 5 years?

ipaman and Dobbizzle like this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Shouldve taken Ivey.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

LOL.. no

Drift Monkey and wlekfjv923n like this.
  13. MrButtocks

I think people have completely forgotten about Yao, whose offense relied heavily on people getting him the ball. He was an elite scorer 1 on 1, but he couldn't just dribble to his spot on the low block. Sometimes even getting him a shot against fronting defenses was incredibly difficult, but he was still our franchise player.

People might say "well Yao was a center who worked down low, that's completely different." There are forwards in today's NBA that have range that work best off ball. KP and John Collins can score efficiently from multiple spots on the floor, but they aren't even their team's secondary ballhandlers. I've been very skeptical about Jabari's top end potential but if he can space the floor and play great defense then we've already chosen well. If he can shoot like KP then we'll have knocked it out of the park.

Easy likes this.
  14. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Yeah I feel the same way. I made the nistake of catching feelings in our last "rebuild" and I know some on here flipped when we traded Steve Francis

15. dmoneybangbang

Which still sounds like fit over talent when the Rockets are still looking to build its foundation.

16. carlos

carlos Member

One exhibition game means #@##$. I remember a certain Rockets center named Kelvin Cato that had like 12 blocks in an exhibition game and appeared, at least defensively, to look like Olajuwon on super soldier serum. He was not.

Drift Monkey and ipaman like this.
  17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Smith was both BPA and best fit at #3

Drift Monkey, ipaman and Easy like this.
  18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Why do people bother projecting careers based on minuscule sample sizes? Talk about the game but don’t be an idiot.

19. maj21

maj21 Member

Y’all gotta chill!! Jabari’s floor is literally someone that would be important when we’re ready to win. He’ll be fine, no need to be whining for Ivey

Drift Monkey and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. MrButtocks

Who should we have drafted in your opinion?