1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Yea, I'm not understanding the judgement of Jabari's game or his potential based off of one (or any) summer league game, which has always been dominated by guards. As others have stated, look at Evan Mobley last year as comparison but we're talking about a league who's highest scoring games are from the likes of Anthony Morrow, Anthony Randolph, Von Wafer Marcus Banks, Furkan Korkmaz and Keith Bogans. Not exactly the who's who of great NBA players. I could have told you Paolo would have had a better game just based on it fitting his style better and that Orlando would run offense through him more.

The Rockets will adjust, will get him the ball more in the elbow and high post and the spacing will be better to get him open shots as he plays with better playmakers like Jalen and KPJ, etc. I do want to see him evolve as a scorer/playmaker getting the ball in the high post, facing up his defender and attacking with his quickness/athleticism.

But I think we're going to see a much different player these last few games in the summer and see some special things.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

I did not say miss. I said appreciate. Currently Jabari can't do half the stuff Wood does on offense, and Wood can do everything Jabari does. In time if Jabari can develop a similar dribble drive and shot creation, finishing inside, as Wood that would be a huge win.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

What's there to appreciate? I'm already happier with Jabari on offense because he actually passes the ball. On defense Wood barely tries.

Wood has skills but not looking back at all.

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, like it or not Wood is a better offensive player right now. Smith is already better defensively. Wood was very under appreciated for what he brought offensively though.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

But this isn't a knee jerk reaction! Unacceptable!

Drift Monkey likes this.
  6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Are you implying that either of those players will be bench players in the future?

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Nah. No one was passing to him.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm implying I'm really sarcastic and joking.

Drift Monkey and i3artow i3aller like this.
  9. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

In one to two years once he has had time to work on weaknesses, adjust to the NBA and get comfortable, he will be exactly what we need. We will be adding another top 5-10 pick next year, who will probably be another creator.

Drift Monkey and i3artow i3aller like this.
  10. csc177

csc177 Member

Jabari is a team guy and consistently says whatever coach needs him to do he’ll do.

well sir, use summer league to shoot the damn ball and be aggressive. Stop deferring to the bums on your team

11. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Agreed, if summer league coaching is pick-up basketball with no plays then we might have to wait for the regular season to see Jabari's potential.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Wood is definitely the better scorer. I'm not sure he's better for an offense than Jabari is though. Jabari likely offers better floor spacing and appears to be more of a willing passer.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yes I'm talking about offensively. Defensively Jabari should already be better and I love his overall mentality.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Wood was the most efficient scorer on the team last year in a mess of an offense so if he had a shot I'm not sure who he was supposed to pass to. This year you are going to see Wood properly used in what will be the most efficient offense in the league.

15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Smith showed a lot in his first game, was defensively solid already, and would have had 3 finishes at the rim if not for a great block by Banchero…putting to bed the myth that he won’t be able to score off the dribble.

Drift Monkey, BamBam and MrButtocks like this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

Agree with the first part, in which case I think it's on Rick Higgins to give direction to Jabari and rest of players on how the offense hierarchy and do more set plays.

The lack of sets in the first game vs other summer league NBA teams was glaring. Everyone seems to be angry that some of the pass first guard like Nix was not properly setting other guys up. A legit critique.

Rockets had good individual defensive effort; team defense needs work. Few times, Rockets lost their guy on the 3rd, 4th ball action.

#1136 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

My thing with spending a top 3 pick on Jabari was he has looked like a system player.

He needs movement and spacing for him to get looks and be effective offensively because he isn’t going to take you off the dribble.

His game will translate much better in actual nba games and he is the youngest out of the top prospects, but for me he had the biggest questions coming into the draft out of the 4.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Did you feel the same way about Dirk?

19. marky :)

marky :) Member

Why would we really need him to take guys off the dribble as a PF? He can hit open shots and he has a post game. Green/KPJ will be the ones breaking down the defense and dishing it off to Smith.

Drift Monkey and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Because he’s more of a play finisher than a play creator like Paolo and Chet.