1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Rockets Summer League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, May 15, 2022.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Jaden looks as dynamic as i thought he would, but mostly i just notice how all these guys doing well have space or proper picks set and offenses look patient. Rockets are just uncontrolled full speed from guards looking for theirs and it's so cringe and unwatchable and it was the same **** last year and watching Jalen Green ask for the ball while this same **** was happening. Is this this really on Jaygup and Nix or is it the coaches telling them to just keep an intense pace?
    If the SL team is a preview of how Silas wants the team to play, it doesn't matter who we draft because it's just ugly, high turnover pick up ball. Silas has been giving the excuses of letting the players have freedom to learn on their own, and he will slowly start introducing more x's and o's but shouldn't SL ast coach start to introduce that game plan for him? And why does it have to be pick up ball or complicated set plays and nothing in between? These are young professionals not kids in a youth league.

The only bright side i see is we will be in the Wemby/Scoot sweepstakes no matter how hard we play.

clos4life and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Member

That's why i set myself at 6'10 Klay Thompson just not as good a shooter, but..well..size that Klay doesn't have so little trade off there. I'm not worried about if a 6'10 Klay could carry a team on his back, because Klay couldn't and never had to- neither will Jabari because Jalen is dat dude the way Curry is dat dude. It's just very early on and right now we'll need KP and Alpy to set Bari up while Green continues to improve his handles, playmaking and gravity pulling.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Then you need to run Jabari through multiple screens and have a plan, does ANYONE trust Silas to figure that out?

DD

bmelo, harold bingo and Caesar like this.
  4. marinara

marinara Member

silas didn’t even coach today so what’s it got to do with him?

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Oh i agree, but there's no plan. Houston Rockets basketball looks like a bunch of headless chickens.

clos4life and DaDakota like this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Member

I think it was in the game thread or a YT comment from an Auburn fan saying it took several games for them to learn how to use Jabari to his strengths too, but that's just hopeful me. Pessimist me knows this is exactly the same ugly pick up ball played last SL while other teams actually look like they're trying and setting their guys up for success.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I sort of feel relieved that he seems the Robin type personality and game and that's great because we already have a Batman.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. PatBev

PatBev Member

Don’t worry boys, once Jabari has a playmaker like KPJ he’ll be good

Nix just isn’t a nba player but disappointed how Christopher only had 1 assist for how much this board hype him up

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My sources are telling me that Silas is going to be his coach for the upcoming season so it's got quite a lot to do with him.

DaDakota likes this.
  10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He is the head coach, he picks the SL coach, he tells the SL coach what he wants to see to help make decisions on these guys, and if he doesn't then he is not a head coach.

Do you think Popovich would have a plan for his coach on his SL team? What about Adelman? Or Kerr, or JVG? No more excuses for poor planning by Silas....none....

DD

bmelo and runamok like this.
  11. marinara

marinara Member

My sources tell me 3 kids got drafted 10 days ago and have had a handful of practices while the rest of the summer league roster is full of players who won’t even be here next week or whenever summer league finishes.

Maybe he should have stopped mid interview during the second qtr to scream out plays.

txppratt likes this.
  12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

So there is Auburn film to study to see what works....sounds like an easy way to grab a couple of useful plays and implement them, right?

Every other team, and I have watched every SL game there has run plays......they have a plan.....

DD

beardsanity713, runamok and Caesar like this.
  13. marinara

marinara Member

The assistant who wasn’t fired ran the team, 3 other assistants got hired 3 weeks ago.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

They are coaches man, they have been doing this their whole life......FFS have some expectations of being excellent, or what are they being paid for???

No excuses, none - either do the ****ING JOB, or get someone else in that can do it.

DD

runamok likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m rarely with DD on his takes, but he is right on this one. Every other team I watched had at least some form of team unity. If you’re trying to ascertain what your players can do, why would you just let Josh dominate the ball to the point of excluding virtually everybody else. I guess they did get a good read on what Josh is. An instant offense, high energy bench player that demands to take every other shot if not more.

Ghost5Horse6, clos4life and Caesar like this.
  16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone's lack of confidence in Silas is based off one summer league game, it's based off everything he's shown as the head coach of the team. It has nothing to do with the game yesterday.

BigggReddd and DaDakota like this.
  17. marinara

marinara Member

No I do understand that, but looking at it overall.

While we still lost games which we needed to do.

A lot of younger players last season improved.

Based of those points I think he has done well.

While the players are 19/20/21 I would say it’s hard to have an identity when most of the players are trying to create one as an NBA player.

If it was a team full of 4/5 year players instead of rookies and sophomores I would see it more Xs and Os, but for me I just think while for the majority the players are getting individually better and they did show that stretch at the end of last season of also getting better together you have to give him credit.

harold bingo likes this.
  18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

How much more would they have improved with a good coach? Players naturally improve but with great or good coaching it accelerates.

DD

bmelo and runamok like this.
  19. marinara

marinara Member

How about Jalens start vs end of the season?

Why doesn’t Silas get any credit?

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Do you think Jalen would have improved more with Popovich as his coach or Silas?

Sure Jalen improved, and Silas should get some credit, but did the team improve? Did you see a hierarchy out there or did you see Wood still bringing the ball up all year long?

Silas is a horrible coach - so was his father.

DD