1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Magic - Vegas Summer League 7/7/2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 6, 2022.

1. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Took 1 summer league game to bring back all the coaching frustrations!

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think this is a good point. This is why Jabari is the perfect guy for the Rockets. A pristine role player that will fit in with Green and whoever else they bring in. Making the TEAM better within a cohesive system.

HP3 likes this.
  4. Raven

Raven Member

This was as predictable as heat in July. Whiners shut the hell up and remember where we drafted, third, not second, not first, third. Jabari is an almost criminal shooter, but the Rockets need brutally crush teammates who ignore him when he's open.

5. swakid8

swakid8 Member

It’s clear to me that there really wasn’t much offensive game planning going on which doesn’t surprise me at this stage. Smith will be fine in the season. I am not worried about him. Our SL guards just didn’t do a good job moving the ball, ball kind of got sticky.

It’s crazy to expect a offensive system to ran solid during the summer league with guys trying to earn their spots in this league.

jiggyfly and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  6. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

The summer league coach needs to be the first to get cut.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Now this is how team defense should be played.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Shooting 43% in college is terrible especially after shooting 42% from 3. How does that happen? Normally when guys shot 40% from 3, their overral fg % is close to 50% especially in college. That tells me alot. His handle is shaky, he's an ok athlete, nothing great. He's a tall, stationary, jump shooter.

PeterKingX likes this.
  9. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

And THAT'S with at least 2 of his shots going front rim, back rim, 10' up in the air and back down thru!
    It could have been worse.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sure but at the same time you also expect him to be assertive and demand the ball,or tell Eason and JC off if they're getting tunnel vision. He is supposed to take charge as one of the alphas of this team.

I'll give him a pass cuz its his first game but next time he should tske charge IMO.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

That is simply not true. He created more of his own shots than Paolo. The problem is, he can't get much seperation. But he has no problem to get his shot. Most of them are contested midrange shots, that's why his percentages were rather low. but not 40%. He shot 43.5% from 2 and 43% overall. Not good, but that's because he wasn't getting many assists for open shots at all - and he has trouble to create seperation - and he rather takes a midrange shot than to drive to the basket.

On the rockets I am sure he will be a 3 & D player in his first year - but he will definetly try to expand his game. He already can drive to the basket in a straight line, he needs to add some moves like a better step back or Dirk fadeaway and a crossover to get by his defender. He is pretty athletic, has really quick feet on defense and is a gym rat. I believe he can add at least 1-2 of those things to his arsenal by year 2.

AuburnRocket and D-rock like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Didn't see the highlights posted yet.

BonziWellsGOAT, DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

wasnt this the plan from day 1?... the worse we play, the better picks we get and the greater the chance the rebuild will succeed
    trust the process
    wembanayana>>>> good coaching with medicre talent

15. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Banchero 33.8% from 3, overall FG is 47.8%, eFG% is the same 52% as Jabari, Banchero 10% lower on 3's and 4% higher overall..shoots 2's better...same overall eFG%.That tells me a lot. It tells me that there isn't much difference between the 2 entering in the NBA. For all the negative you're laying on Smith,he'll be a Top 5 newcomer in the league maybe better if the Rockets want to share the ball.

#1735 AuburnRocket, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    D-rock likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

i refuse to believe that 1 person is guilty for all this mess...more reasonable explanation is its nba and nobody cares...keep getting them checks is all these dudes care about all day everyday...theyre not basketball enthusiasts like fans, they dont care about winning or playing the right way....they in it just for the money...

17. bmelo

bmelo Member

unorganized basketball never won anything. if you look back who won the most, obviously celtics, bulls, lakers, golden state, miami… almost every one of them descending from coach-heavy school of Phil Jackson/PatRiley. Celtics obviously to this day play very organised basketball. All these groundbreaking coachees like pringels or silas who just throw the ball out there on offense stand no chance in the playoffs 7 game series. It's not what our rookies should be teached.

Watching todays summer league gave me ptsd. Year ago it was JC taking all the shots from everyone because of lack of plays, then in the season it was Woods and Tate and now we back to summerleague to see the same **** Silas is gone after this season if he cant figure it out

clos4life and Hakeemtheking like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hey but look what he did to jalen green... he developed him into a superstar and that alone is worth having his ass coaching around...would you rather have a superlative coaching, team oriented mind that cant develop superstars?

19. bmelo

bmelo Member

that is not a system this is basically first half court offense drill that you learn i europe when you are 10 years old obviously nba is different but for those of us who watch fiba/euroleague too its clear as day that Silas is so bad at coaching/setting up plays its ridiculous. Pringels at least had some action going from time to time. If you wanna see "iso system" look what J Kidd is doing in Dallas, small but crucial differences

D-rock, cmoak1982 and beardsanity713 like this.
  20. bmelo

bmelo Member

Did Jalen develop because of Silas or despite Silas?

D-rock and clos4life like this.