1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Royals @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Yordan The Great

Thank God for Jake Meyers. Totally agree he changes the bottom of our lineup. His AB: RBI ratio is outstanding, a full 540 AB season would project to 120 RBIs. That would equate to the most productive season a hitter batting 7th or lower has ever had in major league history.

Houstunna, tehG l i d e and STR8Thugg like this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Of course the Astros were wary of Nolan Ryan's advancing age. He was unique. But, to claim that Koufax's retirement 22 years earlier was in the forefront of their thinking is patently ridiculous.

"Yes...we can't sign Ryan at age 41 because Sandy Koufax suffered from severe arthritis and had to retire at age 30." THAT was their thinking according to you?

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah but I think the point is that Nolan Ryan was the exception to the rule. Maybe they didn’t expect him to be throwing no hitters, but I don’t think they expected him to not contribute.

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

jeez man let it die.

javal_lon likes this.
  5. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I like this Jake Meyers kid a lot. He has some "it" and "sparkle" to him. Definitely I can tell compared to Siri/Chas

tehG l i d e likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They were probably hoping he would do well enough to get fans to buy a ticket to see the legend. I really don't think they paid for his expected contribution on the field. This was the team that ran a high school kid out there to sell tickets.

Stephen66 likes this.
  7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

is it because he looks like a kennedy?

HeyBudLetsParty and H-Town Info like this.
  8. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

[​IMG]

tehG l i d e, SWTsig and Tomstro like this.
  9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I like Jake. I was pining for him to come back. He really helps the bottom of the order. His defense isn't Siri good (whose is) but it's plenty fine for CF and he's got a good bat with solid skills and lots of power to the big part of the ballpark. All that said- dude needs to wix in a couple walks every week if he wants to be a plus player in this league. Damn man, the OBP being below the batting average coming up on 2 weeks in isn't great.

tehG l i d e and HTown2017Champs like this.
  10. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

That's a few things he needs to work on is his strikeout rate and drawing some walks. But he's above avg defense for a CF, has a little clutch factor in him, sprays the ball all over the field on his hits, steal some bases, and etc.

My expectations for him at the plate is .730-770 OPS, .250-.260 batting avg and play above average defense in CF.

#730 H-Town Info, Jul 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If Siri were just average at the plate, he would have a long MLB career. His defense and speed are stellar. The problem is he has no clue reading pitches. The stuff he swings at and how bad he misses is just crazy sometimes.

#731 rockbox, Jul 6, 2022
    Stephen66 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

What's a Kennedy look like?

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Like the dudes on my grandmothers side. Or like Jake Meyers if you don’t know them.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I think those are exceedingly realistic expectations for him for the duration of his club control with the team. That's a 3 or 4 WAR player which is pretty damn valuable.
    As with Pena, the question becomes can they hit in the post season like the guys they replaced (Springer/Correa). If they don't fall off a cliff and can maintain their regular season production into the playoffs then that's a fantastic deal to have 80 or 90% of the other guy for 3% of the price. If they don't hit in the playoffs, well, Yordan and Tucker and Altuve and Bregman better be otherworldly and we better pitch our asses off if we want to win another World Series.

Houstunna and H-Town Info like this.
  15. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

From the small sample size of Meyers in the playoffs against White Sox, he handled himself alright.

Hopefully the moment isn't too big for Meyers and Pena.

Houstunna likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think they both have thecattitude and makeup to he fine.

It may take a year or two before they excel but I think they will be ok.

Unless they run into Kevin Brown or Sterling Hitchcock.

17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I hope they hit better in the playoffs than correa did in our last 2 WS.

Houstunna likes this.
  18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Anyone one else tired of the Royals? I want them to go home. For some reason they strike me as annoying.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Scrappy team. They suck though.

solid likes this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We're due for an easy win. I'd rather have close wins than losses, but I prefer easy wins. But it would be nice for them to leave Melendez behind when they leave.

But Diaz llke like the replacement most though Lee would be or will be. We have a couple of good prospects at C. If Diaz winds up at 1B, it would be a luxury having a 3rd player who can catch so we cam play matchups with the two primary catchers.

#740 Marshall Bryant, Jul 6, 2022
    solid likes this.