1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's interesting I guess I was wrong about PB I am not saying guard play did not affect Smith my point was that it did not affect his ability to dribble.

His shooting fewer assisted 3's also could show him shooting more off the dribble and not when he received a pass and was covered.

I would like to see these numbers and charts where did you get them from?

2. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?year=2022&p=Paolo Banchero&t=Duke

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Paolo fanbois can’t wait for Jabari to struggle…it’s pathetic

4. Milos

Milos Member

Yeah kinda hard to argue 2 top 40 picks in the backcourt was somehow equitable to the Tigers horrendous tandem
    Not to mention 2 other top 16 picks helping him in the frontcourt

D-rock likes this.
  5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Can we table the dribbling convo until after summer league? I think that’s fair.

Drift Monkey and xaos like this.
  6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Let's get really loose and wait his entire rookie season.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. LikeMike

I think this is two things, both good and bad:

1. His ability to hit tough midrange shots is exceptional - maybe best prospect with the defender right in his face
    2. His ability to create space for himself or get an easier shot by a dribble or post move is really weak. He rarely gets "good" midrange shots, because of that.

That's why his percentages especially at the low block but also at the midrange aren't that good. This is why he would really benefit working with someone like Hakeem - he won't ever be the post present Hakeem was, but he has good footwork on defense. He should be able to develope some moves that help him get space and better shots - i guess he just didn't have to in the past or he likes to take tough shots because he is so good at making them.

9. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

i don't understand people saying Jabari is like Aldridge... Jabari is so much quicker than aldridge and plays WAYYYY better defense.. i see Jabari's defense being able to guard 1-5 while Aldridge could not guard anything besides bigs... also i don't see Aldridge coming up and pulling up 3's the way Jabri does either! Jabari's ceiling is so scary! I'm excited ! let summer league begin already !!!!

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I would be ecstatic if Jabari was anything like Aldridge.

Aldridge is a 7x all-star and 5x all-NBA player, that's a very high bar.

Believe It!, D-rock and fryjol7 like this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We're gonna call em the Banch Davidians

credit to REEKO_HTOWN for that one.

D-rock, Milos, Reeko and 1 other person like this.
  12. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

i would be too, no doubt! i was just sayin i don't see the comparison between the two as far as their playing still is.. two different players!

flamingdts likes this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I love Smith as a prospect, but I will say this: if he doesn't put some work in with Hakeem and doesn't learn to gain separation, his career will be half of what it could be. With that said, I hope he has a great career, but I'm still a little bit skeptical of it.

I hate to say that as a Rockets fan, but I think we all need to realize that there is a chance that he could be nothing more than a role player. Hopefully he's Dirk with better defense, but this team is so exciting, I'm trying to temper expectations.

That being said, sounds like his attitude and work ethic is great. I also don't think there's a better situation in the NBA he could have landed in. If I am him, I am ecstatic.

Yung-T, jiggyfly and ArtV like this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I cant wait to root for Jabari WHEN HE STRUGGLES and show all the fake ass Green Haters from last year how its done.

15. MystikArkitect

God last year was such a shitshow.

Drift Monkey, Caesar, fryjol7 and 2 others like this.
  16. verysimplejason

Jabari Smith needs somebody to set him up right now. I hope Rockets can get a CP3 caliber PG or a very good Point Forward. Him and Green need somebody to distribute the ball.

17. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Insert sen-god

18. LikeMike

That's what I am thinking. I wouldn't say no to a CP3 kind of player (or even Rubio), but those guys are getting kinda rare and I think we will be fine.

Most of our options will come out of 1 of 3 things:

1. Pick & roll/pop - Jabari could be both the ball handler or the screener - or even the third guy in the corner.
    2. Iso and drive to the basket by JG or KPJ - both of them should be able to pass to the open guy in the corner
    3. Sengun intiating from the high post - back screens and cuts, sengun will hit the open man or create offense for himself.

Sure, I'd like some more plays to give Jabari some good looks, but early on he will be sitting in the corner or setting screens, maybe asking for screens. And that is fine.

AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Nah brah. I'm a Paolo fan and I'm excited to see Jabari play. You must be talking about Mobley fans.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Jabari gets separation by virtue of being a 6'10 shooter with a high release point.

D-rock likes this.