1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

ROCKSS and jiggyfly like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

from the article:

This year, Black voters’ support for Republican candidates rose to 27 percent, up from 12 percent in November, according to a March Wall Street Journal poll.

Meanwhile, Dennard said, the RNC tracked more than 160 Black Republicans who filed to run for office; of them, 120 are still running. There were more than 80 who filed to run in the House of Representatives.
    more at the link

Andre0087 likes this.
  3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

That's not a good sign for the Dems...it'll be an interesting midterm. I still can't believe support for the GOP has more than doubled in that short a period of time from the black community.

4. Nook

Nook Member

This isn't surprising to me. For awhile now, and for many different reasons I have suspected you would see more black Americans vote Republican. It is very hard for any party to get 90%+ of any large group in a country like the USA.

Having said that, none of this is static... we are going to see more Hispanic Americans likely vote Republican in more Southern and rural areas because they come from religious or conservative families.

It isn't all good for Republicans though, more young white women and men are likely to vote for Democrats as well as more upper middle class, well educated voters.

The two parties are changing right before our eyes and it is very possible in our lifetime that they will not resemble what they were only a decade ago.

TheJuice, jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It's an eyeopener for me because out of all the black folks I hang around maybe 5% admit to voting Republican. I don't doubt that others do but maybe embarrassed to say so. There was almost a lynching at the barbershop this weekend over this political bullshit.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Democrats have been losing minority support the last several years

I keep saying on here that people are tired of the excuses and inaction, and then democratic party apologists come with a bunch of nonsense and BS in return…it’s hilarious how out of touch they are

this isn’t surprising to me 1 bit

Nook likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dems lost the culture war lol

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I seem to remember someone on here insisting that Trump had the black vote locked up in 2020 for his second term, and they had all sorts of shady polling to "prove" it.

I'll wait and see how it plays out. Not like Trumpublicans are all that tethered to reality to begin with.

Andre0087 likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Democrats never do sh*t, and then just take minority votes and support for granted

All this inflation, gas price increases, bad economy, etc…Who is it affecting the most?

I’m sure some will come with the usual “it’s not Biden’s fault”…well, it’s happening under his watch and he will get the blame, and most people think his policies have actually made the economy worse

Nook, ROCKSS and peleincubus like this.
  10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It's not Biden's fault but as you said he'll get the blame. They keep shooting themselves in the foot at every turn and while I'm not gonna go and vote Republican I may just stay my ass home. I'm still not buying that 27% of black people are looking at the GOP seriously.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t think it’s as high as 27% that would actually vote Republican as well, but they are losing noticeable support tho from several minority groups

Nook likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Democrats do a lousy job of messaging and calling out and villifying the right.

Look at all the GOP adverts, not a single one is about policy it is all about beating the "Liberal agenda" they have no popular policy so they just work on the ignorant people about agendas without them really understanding it in the first place.

The Dems should be messaging - we are about X, Y, and Z, here is who is BLOCKING X, Y and Z from happening. .....here is who is voting against YOU....call the RIGHT UnAmerican, Uncaring, and facist....

That is what they are, take the gloves off.

DD

ROCKSS likes this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

They should hire you. Get the message out DD.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But Black conservatism and Black Republicanism are not the same, said Tasha Philpot, professor of government at the University of Texas at Austin.

Like Dennard, Philpot said there is a big part of Black conservatism that is based on faith. But there’s also no denying the racial tensions that impact U.S. politics and everyday life, she argues.

In many ways, Philpot said, the Republican Party is seen as more racially conservative and “downright hostile” toward African Americans than the Democratic Party — something that worsened during the Trump administration. That hostility often means Black conservatism is not translated into GOP support at the ballot box.

And having Black candidates like Tillman doesn’t really change that, either.

That’s partly because Black Republican candidates, Philpot said, tend to embrace deracialized or colorblind platforms and they often reject the idea of systemic racism.

“Typically in this day and age, Black Republicans are considered race traitors,” Philpot said, “especially the Herschel Walkers, the Tim Scotts, the ones that espouse the same type of racist rhetoric that the rest of the GOP expresses: anti-critical race theory and that we should just ignore the history of the United States because it makes people feel uncomfortable.”

“Those types of candidates tend to repel African Americans, because the vast majority of African Americans feel that systemic racism and see it unfolding on television, on the news and in their everyday lives.”

Nook, JayGoogle, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So those people are going to the Republican party?

The Party of excuses and inaction?

I am not refuting that Blacks might be looking at the Republican party but it's not because they get stuff done or stuff that affects black people.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, people seem to forget about those demographics.

Nook likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, some of them will, and another portion of them will simply not vote

this is obvious

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes, it is obvious.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

so then u quoted me saying nothing as usual