1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Houston_Rockets

I agree, I don't think they will go for a catcher because they value Maldonado more then we do. I disagree tho. Individually its debatable, but as a full batting lineup, not have a single hole in it would make us absolutely unstoppable offensively and a lot better then it would make us worse defensively.

As for Yuli, I just believe in him. I think he hasn't declined as much as he showed in the beginning of 2022. But I get it, baseball is about numbers, and they don't look good for a 38 year old guy. It also doesn't help that the eye test was even worst, he looked absolutely done.

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Good Luck to Odorizzi against KC today. Mow em' down!

ps - With the adjusted rotation, JV is in line to pitch in the All Star Game on 4 days rest now. The should ease the pain of delaying his start.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It is easy for me to see the appeal of Houston posing as sellers. Trading away Urquidy, McCormick, and Odorizzi probably nets them 3-4 prospects who would slot in the 6-15 range on their org list. And especially if those are high ceiling/risk prospects in the lower levels of the minors they could end up with a future star player that way. And making those trades allows them to give auditions to a couple of the good young players bubbling up in their system (Brown, Whitley, Melendez, others on the pitching side, Julks, Valdez, Matijevic, Siri, Abreu, Dirden, others on the position player side). And that’s without really factoring in the idea that the expanded playoffs changes the landscape to favor sellers.

SWTsig, JeeberD, Wulaw Horn and 4 others like this.
  4. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

The Astros will add some players and differently trade somedepth to do so.

Like I said Yuli most likely won't be here next year. Unless it's a bench role. If they get another 1B. Sorry I uave no faith in Yuli I've never liked him as a player. Brantley might look for a DH role some where even though he loves to field.

Some I'm looking at 2 bona-fide spots we need to look to cover.

I think players value are based of a love hate type of value in Houston. Kinda like remember when he did this? Yea that was awesome.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

For what it's worth, these are the Value Game numbers for the players mentioned:
    Brown 14.5
    Whitley 1.5
    Melendez 1.5
    Julks NA
    Valdez, E 0.7
    Matijevic 1.5
    Siri 5.0
    Abreu 1.0
    Dirden 0.9

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Like, you remember when Snell was good?

Bregatron likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Those numbers are near-worthless, as they are not updated frequently enough and don’t use accurate underlying metrics. They might have some modicum of value for valuing big leaguers and prospects on most Top 100 lists, but for other prospects they are worthless.

Bregatron likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm virtually always in the you can't have too much pitching camp. But given our massive regular season cushion and what seems likely to be a major sellers market, it would be hard to not get in on this.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Yes this is a ridiculous trade if you accept Ohtani has an AAV of $90M.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

New trade which is reasonable on the trade game:

Astros send:
    McCormick 18.2 4.5 years
    Urquidy 10.5 3.5 years
    Taylor 1.0 6+ years
    Total 29.7

Astros receive:
    Ohtani 109.4 1.5 years
    Rendon -139.2 4.5 years
    Ward 59.3 4.5 years
    Total 29.5

11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

His Salary is high compared to what he has done. But he did just have a 12 SO game js.

12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

You see how its Uneven there?

This is why you cant go by that value chart.
    Theres no way the Angels would even consider such a move but since the value is there then they should?

I go by what they are today not last year or the years before that.

Rendon has a Horrible contract. And if I were they Angels IM selling everyone off this year it would be like a DOLLAR store blow out.
    I would get every Prospect I could get with Value on what I currently have on my Roster.

That team is very Poorly run with very POOR Office and Salary GURUs whom should be fired

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Depends what kind of owner you have? We selling tickets or are we trying to win championships.

Its why I hold Jim Crane in such high regard. You are usually in good shape if you have an owner willing to blow it up for the teams long term success.

The Angels 100% need to blow it up.

They have a culture issue. Plain and simple. Its hard to explain, but there is no reason a team with that type of talent should be reeling that hard.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Angels would laugh in your face. Last year's MVP, and a guy playing at all star caliber just to shed Rendon's salary?

15. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Personally, I would like to see them get one more arm in the pen and a bat. But as you stated, i think the cost will be high this year.

Team is hot right now, but i have a lot of concerns still with Yuli and CF. Yuli's defense is legit but his bat has been off. I know he has picked it up this week or so.

This month will be key.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If this wasn't so ridiculous:

Position
    Altuve 2B 157
    Pena SS 129
    Alvarez LF 197
    Ohtani DH 139
    Tucker RF 141
    Bregman 3B 118
    Ward CF 114
    Gurriel 1B 92
    Maldonado C 49

Bench
    Rendon IF 102
    Brantley 127
    Castro C 13
    Dubon IF/OF 69

Rotation
    Verlander 185
    Ohtani 147
    Valdez 141
    Javier 146
    McCullers 0
    Garcia 107
    Odorizzi 122

17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

its a joke if you payed attention. The service Value is over rated to what your looking at.

There is no value chart that makes it here nor there

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If you paid attention, I'm in on the joke.

19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

was talking to bobark

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Even if they trade both Urquidy and Odorizzi, they’d still be 9 deep in SP: JV, Framber, Javier, Garcia, McCullers, Brown, Whitley, Bielak, Solomon.

Wulaw Horn likes this.