1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Random Trade Ideas 2022-23

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 27, 2022.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I know this goes with your earlier musings about the value of the Nets picks now, and I'd be cool with something like this, but wouldn't Toronto have to give up a big dollar dude? They don't have cap space, so.....?

Shark44 likes this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

I had posted Barnes to Houston for a few of their own picks back (2024&2025) and gave my justification in another thread earlier but figured since it's being discussed here I could drop my rational here:
    I wouldn't give all their picks back, but 2024 and 2025 is the sweet spot where those picks are way more valuable to them (who controls how valuable they are!) than they are to any other team. We still get to keep 2026&2027 all while INCREASING our odds for Wemby.

#102 xaos, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    Shark44 likes this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, the trade machines are kinda broken with the new cap year.

Filler salary are needed, but its unimportant to the bones of the trade.

xaos likes this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Toronto might very well get in on Durant, but no way that Barnes is part of the deal. Toronto is by far the best positioned to make this happen. They could give up OG, Trent, and Birch plus picks. Siakim and filler. Hope bunch of ways they can go, but Barnes won’t be one of them. Toronto with a healthy Durant instead of OG or Siakim is probably the favorite to win it all.

That being said, superstars almost always get their way. I’m guessing Phoenix for sure and the Nets get Ayton and picks and that’s about it. They will take it because they really have no choice.

Corrosion, jch1911 and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think this is interesting, I just don't know it will work long-term for building our team. We drafted 7 guys in the last 2 drafts and added Nix, so 8 guys and now we add 2 more. While Barnes would look good at SF for us now, Sharpe is likely going to need quite a bit more development.

Besides picking and choosing from a ton of talent to build the team, perhaps the value in this approach is we'll have a bevy of attractive young players to offer in trades when we have the cap room. If I contrast that with control of the Nets' drafts for the next 5-years, it makes it a tougher call. With OKC having some control of our picks from 2024-26, I really liked having the Nets' picks to offset any losses their. It also allows us to spread out the talent influx over a longer period of time.

I do like you're idea and as others have said if we back off on a few of the picks and maybe only target Barnes that may be the right compromise for our future.

Xopher and xaos like this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That is 9 rookies and sophomores with 4 picks in the 2023 draft. Wow lol

Shark44 likes this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

The thing about the Nets picks in this situation is they are the best picks available to the Nets because the Nets can control how valuable they are. No one else except the Rockets can say with a straight face that each pick can be a top 6 pick if Nets want them to be. On the other hand, the Nets are the best trading partner for these picks at this very moment all for the same reasons. Other than Nets getting OK return for Durant and hopelessly losing for years (not likely but still a possibility!) this is a moment of high leverage with these picks.

Rudyc281 and Shark44 like this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree, there is a unique opportunity for us to participate in the KD deal, but it really depends on who the deal is with and what our return would be. Looking at the deal Minny gave Utah, you would think KD should return as much or more. However, if they're dealing with playoff caliber teams, most of the picks they give will likely not be the type you need to rebuild. That's where something like @larsv8 suggests could be interesting element to make the Nets happy with their return. Needless to say, we're in a great situation.

Rudyc281 and xaos like this.
  9. Rokman

Rokman Member

Would be cool to see one of Duncan, Parker, Ginobili or Bowen become the next head coach of San Antonio.

Just like I'd love to see one of Elie or Cassell become the next head coach of the Rockets.

RasaqBoi and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Xopher

Xopher Member

I like this in theory. All the talent, but doesn't something like this make us into OKC with Harden? Too much skill, not enough spots. Who would you get rid of?

xaos likes this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If the Nets trade Kyrie and KD. Offer them their own 2023 #1 back and KMJ for Ben Simmons. He wanted to come to Houston.

C- Sengun
    PF - Simmons
    SF - Smith
    G- KPJ
    G- Green

12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

People actually still want Ben Simmons? Wtf....

BigMaloe, mikol13, Corrosion and 3 others like this.
  13. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah I like the direction and thought of the trade but my concerns with Sharpe and Barnes is the same as yours in addition to the huge gamble that is Sharpe. Something about his interviews tells me he is super egotistical which I'm OK missing out on a chance on him.

14. xaos

xaos Member

No. Just the same people posting it over and over

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Points for creativity, no doubt, but I think we have to play the long game here.

Maybe if we didn’t have draft pick obligations owed in even years to OKC, but the underlying genius of the Harden trade is how Stone was able to rectify the Westbrook trade catastrophe.

Plus, I think Brooklyn has to pass on this for optics. They’re going to need something tangible in return to give the fan base at least something to show for trading KD.

16. xaos

xaos Member

If there wasn't enough of a reason to not want Ben Simmons here's another:

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. xaos

xaos Member

Clean slate with all your picks back and some would be pretty appealing considering how fast they are imploding

baller4life315 and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

More optics:

“Dear Nets fans,

Here’s what we have to show for trading away the [at times] best player in the league: the draft picks we lost in a trade where we got our a** kicked.” ;)

It doesn’t exactly scream competence or excitement to the fan base, but you do raise a fair point on a clean slate. It’s the same reason why I would have to pass from our perspective. The BKN picks in even years to offset the OKC obligations are too important, IMO. If it weren’t for those obligations I’d be more inclined to make a move like this.

In any event, still a very creative trade idea. One of the best I’ve seen so far.

Rudyc281 and xaos like this.
  19. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah I'm with you from our perspective on giving away all of the picks owed to us. It would have to be a player like Tatum in order for me to feel comfortable trading away all of those picks. That's why in my deal I only part with the 24 and 25 for Barnes. The valid argument then becomes why do Nets do it which I think there's an argument on both sides. We probably agree more than disagree on this one. Haha

Rudyc281 and baller4life315 like this.
  20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member