1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Japanese school lunches are amazing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No wonder obesity isn't an issue in Japan. Look at the way they eat from jump.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Man, I became an educator in the wrong country.

Slyonebluejay, TheJuice and Xerobull like this.
  3. Xerobull

Go to Japan. There are tons of teaching jobs there for English-speaking teachers.

Probably my one of the few regrets in life was not going there when I was young and single.

#3 Xerobull, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  4. Nook

Nook Member

You really did.

clos4life, TheJuice and Xerobull like this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Good to see a country that really values their youth.

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I am so fascinated with Japan. Partly thanks to anime. I am not a weeaboo but maybe close lol. love the history.. the culture is amazing! the people are beautiful, especially the females IMO, the language is beautiful and it’s so great to see us as great allies considering how dark things once went.
    I would honestly love to travel one day and see amazing places like Kyoto

LosPollosHermanos and Xerobull like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Well here we ate our shitty frozen pizzas and mystery meat burgers with a different source of pride.

8. Aware

Aware Member

I was an ALT in Japan for a bit and lowkey education in japan is terrible
    Tests will pretty much determine the rest of your life starting at kindergarten

You have to place to the better schools which means there is not much learning rather you're spending your time learning how to do well in tests. Just check out how bad their English skills are despite English being a mandatory subject in schools. They are not actually learning English but just how to pass their tests.

**** sucks in the states as well but id take my experience as a student here over your average japanese student tbh

9. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Yeah; the schools get ripped off too. But a few oligarchic companies get rich

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Japan is a mix of the past and cutting edge technology in many areas, it is interesting they still depend on the fax machine prevalently and yet technology advancements are second to none in other applications.

Wish our school system would change for the better regarding lunch like that but yes it’s all about the tests which I’m not sure is completely beneficial

11. Xerobull

Japan seems to be all about rules. It's a bureaucrat's wet dream. Or someone who is good at gaming the system's wet dream.

12. Xerobull

Faxing is alive and well in the US too. It's one of the most secure ways to transmit information. The IRS only takes electronic forms via Fax.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Kyoto is my favorite place in Japan. Koenji is #2.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Gotta bring those kids up healthy so they stay alive to replace the massive elderly population. Then they can take over the 18-hour work days, sleeping at the office, leaving just enough time to go to get drunk at night to calm the nerves... :D

TheJuice likes this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

CNBC did a segment on American school lunches a while back, wish we could do things the right way like the Japanese are.

ROXRAN, FrontRunner and Invisible Fan like this.
  16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I know three people that lived in Japan as white Americans. One was a manager for a tech company and lived there for 10 years. He actually had his kid there and raised them until they were 5 in Japan. His biggest complaint was the blatant racism against anyone that was not Japanese, including his kid in preschool. They had tried to mainstream her with the Japanese kids, but his daughter had a really hard time, so they ended up putting her in a Western school. He lived in an expat building, so there was a sense of community there, but outside of that he had a hard time dealing. His coworkers were at least awesome, but upper management was condescending and after a certain level there were no opportunities for him because he was gaijen, despite the fact that he out-qualified almost everyone there.

The other was a "work abroad" thing teaching English for a school year. He hated the teaching part because the expectations were ridiculous, the students non interested, and the administration incredibly non supportive. He enjoyed seeing the countryside and experiencing the food, but the work was atrocious according to him. He thought the students would be fun to connect with as they may be interested in hearing about America or his experiences, but they were raised to look down on him and had no interest in anything he said. He was only able to connect with a couple of people through baseball talk, but that was about it. He was glad to get out of there.

The third was my cousin that was stationed in Okinawa with the Air Force. He liked it. Okinawans are much more laid back and much less racist. In fact, most Okinawans see themselves as a "people removed" from mainland Japanese (although there is a small group that wants the Americans gone, they are the minority for sure). He was there three years and the only things he complained about were the heat and the bugs. He loved the food and always keeps Orion beer in his fridge now.

17. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

The French also do school lunches well. A lot of kids go home (or at least they did when I was learning it as a kid in the early aughts) and/or they have restaurant catered meals.

My elementary school had a pretty decent setup. It wasn't a cafeteria, but you could get catered meals from the local deli. Nothing super healthy usually but I think you could get salads or a decently made sandwich; maybe a piece of fruit instead of chips. More importantly though, we ate it and it was portion controlled and your parent chose it for you ahead of time.

Middle school high school I remember the food tasted awful and many kids would fill up on just fries and cookies. It wasn't nutritious or filling or good tasting. Some kids would come in and have a bag of flaming hot cheetos and a Monster for breakfast.

Andre0087 likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have been saying I want to teach abroad, I just don't want to be poor doing it I also don't want to have to live in a hostel.

I don't care about having only one room but I need some privacy, I think all of my health issues are over so I will definitely start looking around for the 23/24 school year.

I'm old and somewhat single.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Japan and Korea are good. The Gulf will pay you a fortune if you have a degree. Vietnam is also a good choice.

It's more competitive, but Spain has a program as well called Meddeas.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have heard good stuff about the Gulf I'm just not sure I want to go somewhere so repressed but it would be ok for a year I want to do this to travel so it would be worth it.

How hard is it to teach there?

Spain and Vietnam are on my list probably higher than Japan.