1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets re-sign Jae’Sean Tate (3 years, $22.1M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2022.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Excellent value deal. Potential upside and easily tradeable.

I think Tate will play a lot better when the team as a whole is laying better team basketball without Wood's BS.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm not saying he's worth what Dort got. I'm just saying he was probably going to be valued more than just 7 million a year.

3. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

Thankfully we didn't get to that, glad to have Tate back.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That could happen but I like KPJ. His skills fit really nicely next to Green if he puts it together. There’s still time to give him a shot.

cbass, Easy and cmlmel77 like this.
  6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

So when does he ho from fan favorite to "get him the hell outta here" likely?

7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

From the moment he does not pass the ball to Jalen and Jabari. Dude needs to figure out this is Jalen and Jabari’s team.

javal_lon likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Already there! :D

Not from me though.

hakeem94 and javal_lon like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Smart move for both, and keeps Tate around. Looks like EG and KMJ are on the move.

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Seems like when he was comin up, passing and playmaking was a positive.. wtf happened?

hakeem94 and PeterKingX like this.
  11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Excellent deal. I think what we'll see this season is a starting 5 of KPJ, Green, Tate, Smith, and Sengun. Eason I think will be the main sub for Tate, and if he shows flashes, I think you'll see Tate shopped quietly around the deadline.

12. csc177

csc177 Member

Never doubted KPJ's skill, it's between the ears that give me pause (22 years old or not), especially if we're talking about counting on him long term.

BigM and Easy like this.
  13. PeppermintCandy

I actually thought the Rockets overpaid for Tate.
    I was assuming he would get something in the range of 5 million per year.

But from what I'm reading about the FA signings, 5 million in the past seems to be equal to 7 million in the current market.

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

That's a great deal for Tate especially if rumors of him having an improved 3pt shot in this off-season is true.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If those rumors are true, he is worth closer to what Dort got, IMO.

16. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

He was shooting 38% on 3s past All-Star-Break - if he can keep that up (or at least around 36%) and accepts his role as basically the last option on offense, he will be great for this team. I don't care if he is our 6th best player or our 8th best player, at 7 million per year he will be a valuable player for this team - and maybe a good trade chip down the line.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

jabari smith says hi

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Gp2 got more than Tate. Wow.

Drift Monkey and hakeem94 like this.
  19. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

i think so too! what a deeeeeeeeal! i was expecting way more ! its good to keep hardworking guys who try hard like him around

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I don’t see this having been posted… Kelly iko of the athletic says that per sources, the third year of the contract is a team options, and there are bonuses tied to wins. im too tech stupid to post excerpt from article in the Athletic app. Maybe someone smart can do it,

I was surprised by the 3 year deal honestly bc rockets had Tate for another year on the cheap. Coulda kept him on the cheap, he loses playing time, and poof, there goes his market value.

this contract, even with the two years guaranteed only, changes Tates life forever. It’s the most important contract he can get, even if he cashes in again. $12-15MM is more than enough to ensure you are never poor again, if you are not an idiot. I bet the rockets declined the team option conditioned on Tate taking this contract.

edit: this amounts to a one year extension and Tate becomes an expiring contract trade chip next season. Beautiful.