1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets re-sign Jae’Sean Tate (3 years, $22.1M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is a fair deal, and Tate seems to be our glue guy. Good for both sides.

HTownTmac1 and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Totally fair for both sides

Dude gets paid on a short contract. Has time left to work towards another bigger one if he fixes his shot. We probably trade KMJ now...sucks

3. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

If Tate ever gets his 3 point shot extremely reliable he'll make plenty of money.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Honestly if Jasean Tate is still starting for the Rockets in a year it's really bad sign.

5. kiwirocketsfan

Wanted to hate it, can't complain about it.

AroundTheWorld and PeterKingX like this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

paid like a high end rotation guy. which he is. I was worried they'd pay him as a starter. fair deal.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I agree with the general sentiment regarding Tate but our presumptive best 4 players play other positions. Green, Smith, Sengun, KPJ. If they’re all amazing and Silas is still starting Tate, things are probably pretty good.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Or Silas is a dumbass. Tate is a good bench guy that’s it. He got bench money and is now a decent trade chip sometime in the future. If Tate is starting the second half of the year it is because we are turning the tank on high gear.

saleem likes this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wish it was cheaper like 3 years 10 M, but that was most unlikely. Tate is important, but he should be traded after the end of this season.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Or he develops a jump shot. I’m all for trading Tate or having Eason or Martin straight up take the starting job but there are avenues where he’s a viable starter. I wouldn’t bet on it though.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My issue is that I don't see him being a top 6 player on the current roster and by the end of the season he could easily no longer be in the top 8 or 9 on the current roster.

I see him as an anchor around the neck of the starting unit.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

If I was Tate, I'd be fuming on the inside.

hakeem94 and RasaqBoi like this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah, a 6’ 4” PF, non shooting foul prone ball stopper should be pissed he ONLY got 8M. What a joke! I’m glad he signed a tradeable contract like Daniel Theis, but I hate he will be taking minutes from Eason. Sure hope he’s a throw in with Gordon for future picks.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I agree. I’m not even sure that he’s a top 8 player when training camp starts.

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Please! Let’s here why….

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

3/22M is obviously beneficial to the Rockets, but Dort just got 5/87M. Regardless of how you view Tate, I'm sure there was a team out there that would have offered a contract that was closer to Dort's new one than Tate's new one.

AB83Rules and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am hoping TyTy will eventually get the starting PG job and they either trade KPJ or move him to the wing.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Better numbers for Tate across the board? Tate is 26 and in his prime, and compared to Dort, has less time to earn money? Dort JUST got 5/87M, which is a target number?

I'm not saying the Rockets should have given him more money - I'm just saying that I think Tate was too quick to blink and took the Rockets' deal. Rockets would have matched any Tate offer (within reason) anyway, so I think Tate should have waited a bit longer to see what other teams might come up with. I feel like a 3/22M deal from the Rockets would have been on the table for a long time.

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Probably, but the whole point is that the Rockets paid him early. They didn't have to do that. It would have been pretty crappy for Tate to agree to a deal, have the Rockets allow him to become a restricted FA, and then get a competing offer.

hakeem94 and txtodd like this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

If Tate was offered 5/87, rockets should have let him walk. He is not worth that.

#140 red5rocket, Jun 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2022