1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets updates 2023 cap...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

Here's where things are at:

9.891 Green J
    3.536 Sengun A
    2.588 Garuba
    4.826 KPJ (cap hold)
    9.441 Smith J (estimated)
    3.375 Eason T (estimated)
    2.109 Washington T (estimated)

TOTAL: 35.766

Unused roster charge: 4x.981

Not likely to return:
    2.000 Mathews (NG)
    20.917 Gordon (NG)
    1.930 Martin (Club)
    1.836 Nix D (NG)

Means we are looking at a payroll of 39.7 million plus the cost of Tate or any other free agents signed more than a year.

The cap for next year is 123.6. Assuming this, they would have 83.9 million in cap space less Tate/free agents.

If Tate is signed to reasonable money then they could add 2 max free agents and then go over the cap to retain KPJ.

jcmoon, Deuce and mikenm268 like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

2024 is a better FA class though in regards to our timeline with guys like Booker, KAT, Jaylen Brown, younger guys becoming UFA.

But maybe if they show out enough you want to commit to the core you can go after a vet like Middleton or something or older former all-star players to go from being a fringe playoff team to being a firm contender.

3. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Can you add a fourth decimal point to the salary numbers, so we can really dial this in?

4. Landry's Tooth

Assuming we wouldn't look at the 2 or 4 (that Green and Jabari aren't busts) here are the free agents:

Lebron
    Kyrie
    Wiggins
    Jokic
    Vucevic
    Middleton (PO)
    White C (RFA)

Best scenario is probably Jokic and Middleton or Kyrie.... Kyrie being better player but more baggage I would lean Middleton if he still has something in the tank...

May want to consider a trade for a natural point since KPJ may not be it and there's little coming available other than Kyrie...

5. Landry's Tooth

The problem is most of those guys won't be there. KAT and Booker can sign extensions for around 50 million a year.

Someone like Middleton might be best out of what's realistic.

I'm ok with a 3 and D big sf and overpay a little... if he's still good...

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If everything goes correctly we won't need to be big game hunting for max contract free agents in 2023. Not saying I expect our young guys to become All-NBA players by next year but I rather just let the players continue their development and save that capspace for good role players and pending rookie extensions.

7. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

You also have to factor in and plan ahead for what room you leave down the road for all these young guys and when their rookie deals are over and when they’re eligible for extensions. Green, Sengun and Christopher all at the same time and then Jabari, Tari and TyTy at the same time the next year.

8. TheBeastSystem

yes. don't see any big names coming here next summer. maybe jokic. but i doubt it.

we'll have another high pick to add to the cap.

welcome to houston, collin sexton and mo bamba?

palmsnbananas likes this.
  9. Landry's Tooth

Just another thought...

Target shorter bad contracts that come with picks...

Say 1 or 2 year deals from team wanting to clear books...

Some examples... 2025 free agents who may not be worth what they make:

Ben Simmons (though we have their picks)
    Paul George (if hurt again)
    Kawhi (if hurt again)
    Jrue Holiday
    Chris Paul
    Duncan Robinson
    Lonzo Ball
    Davis Bertans
    Tim Hardaway
    Evan Fournier

2024 free agents (1 year commitment)
    Tobias Harris
    Khris Middleton
    Porzingis
    Gordon Hayward
    Buddy Hield
    Kyle Lowry

So let's say Heat want a 3rd star with Bam and Butler...

We take Robinson and Lowry a year from now with 2 or 3 first rounders for some second rounders... they would have about 80 million plus Herro in payroll.

Maybe they want Kyrie and flip Herro for picks and sign a veteran 2 with MLE... just an example...

I wouldn't be opposed to take overpaid players to use in supporting roles if additional draft assets are included...

jcmoon likes this.
  10. Landry's Tooth

True, but that's where you go over the cap as a contender and pay tax...

11. steddinotayto

I'm sorry but who are you expecting to pay the luxury tax?

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  12. Landry's Tooth

TF, one of the 10 richest owners in the NBA who has had a top half payroll during the entire rebuild.

Did you think he was selling?

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think we will go after MAJOR Free Agents they will all stay with their clubs for Max deals, but I do think we will OVERPAY for complimentary players which is just as good.

DD

palmsnbananas likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

Being "one of the 10 richest owners" don't = paying luxury tax, whether it's for a contender or a rebuild squad.

List of top 10 owners:

https://sportsbrief.com/facts/top-l...hest-nba-owners-2022-steve-ballmer-tops-list/

List of teams that have paid the luxury tax in the past 20 years:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cba/tax/

15. PatBev

PatBev Member

Agree. The starting rotation is already full. I only see us going after a starting small forward but realistically I see us overpaying for a few SOLID veterans to come off the bench to help be the back support to the younger guys until they really learn how to start winning

TheJuice likes this.
  16. Landry's Tooth

Let's keep this reay simple.... which player should he have paid tax to keep? Austin Rivers? Trevor Ariza? Ryan Anderson?

You're criticizing him for not wasting money on players who have effectively been retired.

You act like he has had cap space and won't use it.

Back up your point of view instead of whining. Who did he pass on spending money on?

17. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

This is the way the nba is headed, hard to get a “star/superstar” to sign here when he can get insane money from his home team, also if there’s a trade then you have to give up huge salary or picks in return.

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you are having a hard time deciding which of those six guys to offer contracts to, you have either done remarkably well, or extremely disappointing in your drafting. If you've got three guys deserving of the max, give it to them and trade the rest. Then cross your fingers that you picked the right ones. That's a good position to be in and not something I am going to loose sleep over.

TheJuice likes this.
  19. steddinotayto

Who's whining? I'm just being rightfully skeptical on the notion that Tilman Fertitta is going to pay the luxury tax to maintain a competitive team because, while there's only one or two instances where he's shown to avoid paying the luxury tax, there's nothing at this moment that supports the belief that he will pay it in the future.

Save this receipt and hit me up in 3-4 years if Tilman pays the luxury tax. I'll gladly let you say "I told you so!" all you want.

20. Landry's Tooth

My point is that it's irrational to assume someone won't do something when the only times he could have done it he would have been foolish to do so.

If the team is winning the tax money won't matter much with the increased revenues.

I'm not saying he's spending like the warriors... but definitely top 5 payroll after having a top 10 payroll to finish last...