1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nuke powered flying lux hotel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Invisible Fan, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You prob get jetpacks to complete the steampunk vibe if there was ever need to abandon ship.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/27/insid...hotel-that-can-stay-in-the-air-for-years/amp/

Inside giant flying luxury hotel that can stay in the air for years
    By Milica Cosic, The Sun
    By Milica Cosic, The Sun
    A giant nuclear-powered ‘flying hotel’, complete with a gym and swimming pool is set to carry 5,000 passengers in unparalleled luxury.

A new CGI video details how the AI-piloted Sky Cruise plans to remain airborne for months at a time, while also docking to take on new passengers, or to drop off anyone board.

The futuristic hybrid between a plane and hotel – which has 20 engines powered by nuclear fusion – is designed never to land.

Hashem Alghaili, who created the incredibly detailed mockup of the monster aircraft, says the nuclear-powered sky cruise “could be the future of transport”.

Designed to run 24/7, Alghaili even adds that running repairs would be carried out in-flight – a first in aviation.

And, when asked how many people it would take to fly this gigantic plane, he said: “All this technology and you still want pilots?

“I believe it will be fully autonomous”.

Despite plans for a man-less ride, the Sky Cruise will still require plenty of staff on board to be at every passengers beck and call.

[​IMG]
    The nuclear powered aircraft was drawn up by Hashem Alghaili.
    YouTube/Hashem Al-Ghaili
    The greatly detailed video also promises restaurants, a gigantic shopping mall, a gym, theatre and even a swimming pool – all in the sky.

The promotional clip also promises the human boarded UFO to be the perfect wedding venue, if you’re brave enough.

And it would be perfect as the Sky Cruise offers a panoramic hall, offering breath-taking 360 degree views of the outside.

[​IMG]

] While many have their hopes set high for the giant hotel, the Sky Cruise is still far in the future.
    YouTube/Hashem Al-Ghaili
    However, despite the greatness promised, not everyone is on board with the idea.

Some have called the Sky Cruise concept the ‘new Titanic‘, pointing out a plethora of issues with its design.

The huge aeroplane would have issues taking off, and would be far from aerodynamic. Others also pointed out faults with its weight, saying that if an aircraft powered by a nuclear reactor crashed, it could destroy a city.
    One nervous passenger said: “Great idea putting a nuclear reactor in something that could malfunction and fall out of the sky.”

While someone else commented “I’m sure I would be able to afford a ticket for the lowest deck with no leg space and no access to the lounge”.

And a third wrote: “Those exposed elevators are a big nope for me. Uneven drag would also like a word on those. The engines look suspiciously like jet engines, fusion reaction is used as a magic future energy source, and your animation never bothered to raise the landing gear.”

And, the massive development cost is also another concern. Some predicted that a trip like this would cost a fortune, saying: “While this is interesting concept and its is capable to built it with current technology, this thing would be super expensive and no doubt only rich would be able to book this hotel”.

Others however are keen to be the first people on board.

One person said: “Hilarious! It’s like someone got in a time machine, traveled to 2070, found a retrofuturism video based on our era (as opposed to the 1950s or 1800s) depicting what people from our era thought our future would look like.”

No Worries, tinman and Xerobull like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

tinman likes this.
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Highly recommend they consider retracting their retractable landing gear when they are flying. Just a thought.

Sajan, ROCKSS, jiggyfly and 1 other person like this.
  4. CrazyJoeDavola

Technically speaking, odds can never be less than 0% right?

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

what could possibly go wrong

No Worries likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What could go wrong and isn’t this a 1970’s disaster movie being remade with Gerard Butler and I need that!

TheJuice, ROCKSS, jiggyfly and 3 others like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Poseidon Adventure?
    Airport?
    Airplane?
    Towering Inferno? (my personal favorite)

And Steve McQueen would kick Gerard Butler's ass.

Xerobull and Jontro like this.
  8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Somebody spent a lot of time and effort bringing a moronic idea to “life.”

Sajan and Jontro like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Poseiden is my personal favorite.

I'm surprised none of these have been remade.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

----

Also, will never be able to think of the The Poseidon Adventure without thinking of the South Park succubus:

----

Finally, Airplane got a mention in there. Not sure people are aware that it is a comedy remake of a "serious" 1950's disaster movie called Zero Hour! (the exclamation point is part of the title):

...and if anybody's counting, Airport was actually a trilogy: Airport 75, Airport 77 and The Concorde ... Airport '79. Pretty sure I've only seen 77.

#10 Ottomaton, Jun 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I vaguely remember that Poseiden movie and I have seen all of the Airport movies thanks to the 3:30 Million Dollar Movie.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member