1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Random Trade Ideas 2022-23

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Would have no problem giving up 4 1st's for him. If we trade EG this season we will potentially have 3 of them this next draft. There is too much youth that the lack of minutes will hinder the young players development. Next offseason there does not appear to be really any good fits for us relative to potential max players.

theDude likes this.
  2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That price is too high for Murray. You would have to believe he would resign here and also that he’s the 3rd star to make us a contender.

Do you think Murray, Green, Smith is a championship contender with the right role players?

TheJuice likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not giving the Nets anything at all.... absolutely nothing. It harms our assets ... I'd never deal with them until those assets expire.

luckyman76 likes this.
  4. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Eric Gordon, Jay Sean Tate to MIL
    Grayson Allen, KJ Martin to Charlotte
    Lotto protected Hornets pick, Future MIL first rounder, George Hill to Houston. Note, I included Serge Ibaka coming here as well to get past the trade checker, but this would assume the Bucks just waive his cap hold. At one point, I also had us taking on Hayward on Terry Rozier's contract as well, but I think that's giving up a bit much on our end.

We clear a bit of a logjam and get rid of an unhappy player in KJ. We also get an older point guard who won't necessarily be taking minutes but can serve in a mentor role to our younger point guards. Similar if we decide to keep or do an SnT in Ibaka for the big men. We do good by Gordon and ship him to a contender. Milwaukee upgrades their guard position and can bring in a nice contributor in Tate. Charlotte gets a nice young athletic player to work with, and a young backcourt partner for Ball.

luckyman76 and Shark44 like this.
  5. JohnWoo713

JohnWoo713 Member

I’d add Matthews in as well to the deal. Ty Ty over nix

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Why? He's young, cheap and a solid role player who can improve.

luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think this has some interesting elements. If Ibaka is healthy I'd keep him, he could be a solid vet backup to Alpi. Is the Hornets their 2023 pick? Which MIL pick would you target?

TheJuice likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

From a point guard play POV he's a clear upgrade to Porter in the starting lineup--better passing and much better defense. That being said, if SA can milk 4 1st rounders for Murray more power to them. I'm not prepared to give up that many picks (which would probably include at least one of our Brooklyn pick) for Murray. It would need to be a Tatum-level of player for me to drop that much capital on a player.

groovemachine and theDude like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Good trade in my opinion.

TheJuice likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That price is too high, but the Rockets would still have a ton of cap space starting next offseason as well as likely another crack or 2 at a star in the draft.

For less than that price, I think the Rockets could get Halliburton from the Pacers who would likely be a better fit.

groovemachine and TheJuice like this.
  11. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Id love Haliburton, but Idk if the Pacers give him up after JUST acquiring him.

D-rock likes this.
  12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’d be willing to give up next year’s firsts and KPJ. That’s about as high as I go. For one, He’s not signed long term, only two more years. So there is still risk of losing him soon. The other thing is that he had a fairly dramatic increase in productivity last year, his 5th in the league. While I don’t think San Antonio has soured on him, I do think they may be trying to capitalize on what they think is an unsustainable level of play.

Based on that, I don’t think I’d feel comfortable meeting their asking price. I doubt they can get that, and they probably know it. I’m sure they will be just fine with keeping him.

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Milwaukee 2025 or 26. For the Hornets, 2024 or 2025.

Shark44 likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea, at most, it would be the milwaukee 1st and one of the pick swaps with brooklyn plus, say, Tate/Martin and KPJ. I don't think Houston would have a problem re-signing him because, IIRC, we'd have his bird rights.

theDude likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It would be a tough sell, but I'm not sure Rockets would send 3 unprotected/minimally protected picks for him. If the Rockets are looking at adding a PG with 3 or more draft picks, they probably shouldn't be looking at anyone, but Halliburton.

TheJuice likes this.
  16. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Oh definitely not, especially when we just drafted one

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets need to consolidate talent. Besides Green and Smith, I'm trying not to get too attached to anyone. For me, it is probably too late for Christopher and Sengun as it would suck if they got traded even if it was a good trade for the Rockets.

joshuaao, mikol13, red5rocket and 2 others like this.
  18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Just looking at the cap if we swap Gordon, Tate, KMJ and picks for Murray and then drop Wall and Nwaba I am going to assume we still have max cap space for a 2023 FA.

So the question becomes do you roll the dice and tank again in hopes of getting Scooter or Wemby and even with the worst record we know that’s a crap shot. Or do you cash in next years pick and add Murray and go ahead and push towards contention? Then with a more settled roster and likely improved record bring on one of Jokic, Middleton, Wiggins in FA?

Really that’s been the plan all along so it boils down to is a 25 yo Murray better than whatever you might get in 2023 draft given the unlikelihood of getting # 1 or # 2 pick and the possible bust factor of any rookie?

IMHO so much comes down to Green. If he becomes a top 5 player then Robins/third pieces like Murray, Wiggins, and Smith Jr. can win a chip.

If we did the deal it would be a bloody mess trying to navigate all of the picks and swaps between us, OKC, SA, and Brooklyn.

groovemachine likes this.
  19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think we are going to be able to “tank” the way we have the past two years. We saw how much the games of KPJ and Green opened up with Wood out last year. While it didn’t lead to wins, it will eventually. And adding Smith and Eason should pay dividends as well. Improved play from everyone else should make losing slightly more difficult, too. And if we add a player with the MLE, I find it hard to believe that they will be the disaster that Theis was, and they should contribute to winning.

All of that is to say that we should not be trying to be the worst team any longer. We will still be in the lottery, so we can take our chances with smaller odds and then just draft BPA with wherever we land. If we got two of the top 16 players in the draft last year and two of the top 17 this year, we should be seeing improvement.

snowconeman22, D-rock and TheJuice like this.
  20. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Very true. One thing too you'll see with rebuilds is that their young guys develop bad habits or begin to resent the org when theyre constantly losing.

D-rock likes this.