1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] What are you playing? (Omikron Edition)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Strikers was good fun on the Gamecube. The powered shots, extreme tackling, and chaos of the game was great to play with couch multiplayer. I'm not sure if it'll hit the same being online, especially with Nintendo's piss-poor online play. I'd like to hear how the game does online.

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I think that's actually why they restricted the demo entirely to 2v2 online play, and the training mode. Essentially, it's clear it was as much network test as demo. The demo times were also jammed into only 1-hour-at-a-time periods, again probably to maximize traffic.

Happy to report that I played, oh... maybe in the neighborhood of about 20 games, and there was only a single match where the lag was unbearable. I'm talking like literal 2-second input delay, I quit about 20 seconds into the match. I assume maybe I got connected with someone in Europe or Japan or somesuch. But broadly speaking, considering all matches had 4 different consoles connecting, it was totally decent/playable. I don't think you have to worry too much.

I imagine things could get dicier trying to do, say, 4v4. We'll have to see. This did inspire me to buy the wired ethernet adapter for the switch anyway though (especially considering the Monster Hunter Rise expansion also drops at the end of the month). Considering it worked pretty great on wireless, I imagine things will smooth out further on wired, even if I'm the only one most of the time. I already tested the adapter and got a speed bump immediately, and more importantly, it should be rock-stable now, in a way wireless can never be.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ninja gaiden 2 on game pass

4. elrond

elrond Member

Any Monster Hunter fans? Originally played Vanilla MH World, then played Rise, and then started playing Iceborne. Just finished soloing Fatalis and Alatreon, and waiting for the Sunbreak expansion to MH Rise that will release at the end of the month.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

Eldren Ring. It's a biotch.

6. Drexlerfan22

Yup, big fan. Played just about every MH game that’s been released stateside. Though might finally be tiring a bit. Rise was my least-played in awhile. The Rampages aren’t fun at all, and I also never failed a quest in Rise… which is a shame, since the super-tough ones you slowly learn to conquer are the best part of these games. IDK, maybe the problem is I mained Bow for Rise, and it’s just too good this time around, haha. I’ll still try Sunbreak though.

If you’re liking MH, I thoroughly recommend MH Generations Ultimate. Possibly the best in the series, despite the old-skool segmented maps. I for sure rate it higher than the newer ones.

7. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Best three dollars I have ever spent on a game.

Xerobull and dmoneybangbang like this.
  8. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Just hooked my Wii up after years collecting dust. Just started Twilight Princess, but after that I gonna do another playthrough of Monster Hunter Tri. Never played any others but I enjoyed this one enough that I'll give other entries a try. Oh, and I have been playing Super Mario World with @MRS_KILLATRON2000 too.

Salvy and Xerobull like this.
  9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Started to go back and play some older games I hadn't touched in a long time on the steam deck. Had a 6 hours of sitting in LAX....definitely helped pass the time.

10. Drexlerfan22

In case you weren't aware, bad news on Tri. Tri has become a demo disc in the sense that none of the high-rank stuff is accessible, since it was tied to the only lobby. Even for single-player.

Huge shame since it's probably a coinflip for me which which is my all-time favorite, MH3U or MHGenU. If you have access to a WiiU or a 3DS, I thoroughly recommend MH3U over Tri, given the aforementioned crippling of Tri. The only major thing it's missing is the custom-built bowguns, IIRC.

11. elrond

elrond Member

Cool, will have to give MH GenU a try at some point, although I heard it doesn't have single player scaling, so some of the later hunts take a really long time if you solo?

Although it's definitely easier, I've still failed plenty of quests in Rise. Wirebugs removing the monster's ability to follow up combo you really lowers the risk level quite a bit, but sometimes it also makes me yolo a little too much :D

Not a huge fan of rampages either, but since 'm just starting to pick up Bow, it means I need to do quite a few extra rampages since the best element bow is the rampage bow.

Not expecting anything, but I'd really like if they change the spiribird mechanic in Sunbreak since it's a bit annoying to wander around the map for the first 5 minutes just to max out health/stamina. At least they're giving the ability to favorite a charm. I'm too lazy to go through all my charms for rebirth melding.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  12. Drexlerfan22

Ha, yeah, I didn’t went to sit here and rattle off every complaint, but that pre-hunt gathering of boosters before every quest annoys me too. I always wish to be able to just eat and then hunt to maximize my stats like always.

Re: MHGU scaling, there are still quests at a separate counter that are solo-only, but yes, the latest-game stuff is multi and doesn’t change in scale with # players. That said, IIRC there aren’t set multipliers, they set health values by quest. HP pools seem less unforgiving for solo than they sometimes were in the past. In some cases I believe we are talking like only 50% more health for the multiplayer version of a single-player hunt.

Will add to that, I forget what they call them, but there are some kinda super-fights at the end of quest chains for monsters called deviants, that most people would really struggle to solo. Out of the many I think I only solo’d 2 of them (Silverwind Nargacuga & Hellblade Glavenus). Those are some of the few fights a good solo player would be pretty put-upon to complete, with practice. There is nothing in MHGU that’s as tough as, say, soloing Behemeth or Leshen with level-appropriate gear in OG World. If you’re thinking MHGU is that, it’s not. It’s harder than Rise for sure, and generally harder than Iceborne too, but it’s not *completely unfair* to solo players.

There are just a lot more monsters, and they’re more varied too. Definitely had my favorite versions of several weapons as well, most of all HBG, LBG, DBs, & SA. Other end of the spectrum, GL was complete ass, but I guess ya gotta give World/Rise something, haha.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Same. Although once I hit 30 minutes I kinda lost interest. If you're an achievement/unlock w**** though, this game is crack.

AleksandarN and Xerobull like this.
  14. Drexlerfan22

I almost anti-achievement myself, in the sense that I never understood why anyone cared about achievements that had no effect on gameplay. But in Vampire Survivors I've done them all, since most of them unlock new things that affect gameplay in one way or another. It's really nice that the achievements list is actually purposeful.

DonnyMost likes this.
  15. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Bumpity bump bump.

I've had some free time recently as well as a free trial for a GeForce Now (GFN) Priority tier service. I bought Elden Ring at launch for PC, but I never had any plans to play it until I had a PC upgrade or started up a new cloud gaming service. Well here I was with GFN up and running...

...and of course Bandai Namco doesn't seem to support GFN (despite some praise for it before). Oops. So no Elden Ring for me for now. :(

Instead of that, I decided to jump back into No Man's Sky, which I happened to mention in my last post in this thread. I haven't really played it much since they started going crazy with updates, so it was a bit of a learning curve. The base I built years ago no longer functioned because I wasn't supplying it with power. All of my great loot was stuck in storage containers that didn't have power. :(

It was a lot of fun figuring out how to get my bases electrified though. Lots of fun in general. I had tons of fun exploring random planets for hours and hours, even when the game had a fraction of the content. With all of the new stuff, it feels like I could sink another ~100 hours into the game. Definitely seems like a personal Game of the Generation for me.

My only complaint about NMS during these recent sessions is that the game has a pretty bad UX. It has gotten better in many ways since launch, but considering ALL of the things they've added, it really is a pain point for the game. It is really difficult to dive into the game and not be overwhelmed by it all...and I think the game could do a better job of holding the player's hand at times. Otherwise, you're pretty much forced to Google things. To be fair, I was loading an old save, so maybe it does a better job for new players. I just know I played for 10+ hours before realizing the (new) importance of the Space Anomaly. And don't even get me started on what I learned about the idiosyncrasies of placing doors in your base.

Back to GFN. Apparently you have to pay extra (beyond just the priority tier) in order to have your game settings save between sessions. This pretty much means you can never truly customize certain graphics settings in games like No Man's Sky. Yay.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Picked up Griftlands

Charming little card based strategy game.

I like it.

17. Poloshirtbandit

Wife and I have been playing TMNT Shredder's Revenge. It's not as good as Turtles In Time on SNES imo but still a fun couch co-op game.

18. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

OMIKRON?!?!?!?!?

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I finally really started playing Stellaris after buying it um... a few years ago. lol. Yeah... there's a learning curve and either I'm stupid or these AI aliens are just cheating. :mad:

Xerobull likes this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It’s a pretty good game.

On that note I bought the board game on Kickstarter. Still haven’t gotten it but I’ll review it when I do.