1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, eliminating constitutional right to abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 24, 2022.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

To make it easy to understand for you:

I am pro-choice and anti-gun.

That said, I think some of the pro-abortion activists are crazy and fanatical as well. Like that pregnant lady.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Next Abortion Battlegrounds
    The Supreme Court may have overturned Roe v. Wade, but it has not ended legal battles over abortion.

https://reason.com/volokh/2022/06/27/the-next-abortion-battlegrounds/

excerpt:

One consequence of the Dobbs decision is that much abortion litigation will shift from federal to state court. Just because there is no right to abortion in the federal constitution does not mean there is no such right to be found under state constitutions. Just as (to take one example) the Ohio Supreme Court has concluded that the Ohio Constitution provides greater protection for private property against eminent domain than does the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, state supreme courts may conclude that state constitutional provisions protect abortion rights through state-level rights to privacy (as in Montana) or other liberty-protecting provisions. Of course, such claims will not always be successful. The Iowa Supreme Court recently issued a state-level Dobbs decision, rejecting prior decisions that had recognized a state-level abortion right.
    more at the link

6. basso

Supporting Member

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is completely irrelevant and out of context. You should make your point

Nook likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah all those trans people thinking they can abort kids
    yo holmes
    you can't have a baby
    you a chick breh
    you got no uturus
    @Os Trigonum
    @Sweet Lou 4 2

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

This has been proven false.

First the number cited was 52% of white women who voted, voted for Trump.

Second it just isn't true - It comes from an exit poll that Trump cited in one of his speeches.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

**** men and abort black babies.

14. Nook

Nook Member

This is false.

The USA does NOT have less restrictive abortion laws than Europe.

The comparison between Europe and the U.S. is not a straightforward one as neither side is monolithic in its approach to abortions.

Not only do different European nations have significantly differing laws on abortion, but an increasing number of American states, even with Roe v. Wade, are introducing stricter rules.

Most U.K. nations allow abortion up to a minimum of 24 weeks and even beyond that in some cases, although this is not extended to Northern Ireland.

In Sweden, a woman can get an abortion on demand through 18 weeks regardless of the reason.

In the Netherlands it is 24 weeks without question.

There are some conservative nations such as Poland where it is illegal except for incest or the woman's life is at risk.

A number of US stats already have restrictions on abortion.

So i guess it comes down to whether you want to be more like the UK and most of Western Europe of if you want to be like Poland and Malta.

Also 62 million unwanted pregnancies have been avoided over 50 years, that has resulted in lower levels of poverty, lower crime rates and less oppression of women and other young people.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Less than 1% of abortions are in the third trimester.

The overwhelming majority of those in clinical research shows that some serious fetal health issues are not observable until the third trimester of pregnancy.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. TheresTheDagger

Mmmmm....yeah, it still mostly is. Before last week it most CERTAINLY was.

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Thank you for your honesty and contributions.

Roc Paint likes this.
  18. basso

Supporting Member

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What have you suffered since same sex marriage had been allowed?

Nook likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Before the Dobbs hearing it was nuanced comparing the USA to Western Europe.

Starting in July. Florida was cut to 15 weeks before the Dobbs ruling..... Texas was 6 weeks and I believe that Idaho (you can correct me if I am wrong, I believe you are in Idaho) attempted to do 6 weeks as well.

After Dobbs it isn't even close....

Abortion is immediately illegal in 13 states, another 6 states have bans after 6 weeks.

States like Florida, Montana, Indiana, and Nebraska are all very possibly going to ban abortion.

So I think it is fair to say that the USA does not have abortion rights inline with Europe.

I will be very curious to see how this all goes over the rest of lifetimes.... at some point the Court will shift to the left, and I expect they over turn Dobbs and that will cause problems as well.

As a side note there have supposedly been 60 million abortions in the USA.... lets say that even 66% of those would have ended in live births had abortion been illegal.... hell lets say half, because people that want abortions often times will still find a way to get one, be if through illegal abortions or there are things that women can do to promote miscarriages....... so that is roughly 30,000,000 Americans over the last 50 years. With normal birth rates and with the known data on poverty, etc..... you are looking at conservatively an extra 60,000,000 Americans (likely more) in a population of roughly 300,000,000 Americans.......... How different would our world be with a 20% increase in the population in the USA today? Imagine doubling all the people in Texas and California.

I don't have an answer, it is just an interesting thing to consider to me.