1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bradley Beal to opt out and sign a $250 million contract with Wizards

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LCII, Jun 27, 2022.

1. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

WTF are the Wizards thinking? They havent made a playoffs in a few years. Why not just let Beal walk?

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/in...e-agency-2022-most-impactful-decisions-summer

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no franchise in nba really care about the winning...its juts a fluff for the customers/fans...its just a business for them

Invisible Fan, apollo33 and TheJuice like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Beal himself doesn’t even care about winning…I guess he can always just request a trade later tho after securing the bag

but he gives off Melo in NY vibes…willing to stay with a dumpster loser franchise no matter how much losing occurs

we’ll see if he proves me wrong someday

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Washington didn't learn from the John Wall Experience, apparently. That team really needs to get a major haul for him in a trade. They're running on the mediocrity treadmill.

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Props to Beal for being just good enough to finesse a team out of a 5 year supermax.

I can't think of a player with less accolades who's made this much money.

Really good player though, I just wouldn't pay him that much.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dude a quarter billion will have anybody feeling comfortable.

It's actually better for the league and should be respected IMO. I don't want to watch a league where all the big talents are concentrated on a handful of teams, where your only chance for a ring would require you to have 4 all-stars and 2 top 5 players again. **** that noise, respectively.

7. Asian Sensation

Tobias Harris is really close and he’s not nearly as good as Beal.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'm talking total career money.

Tobias won't get anything like the deal he's on now after his current one is over. So, he maybe gets to ~$280-300MM assuming he continues to play well. Which, you're right is a ton, but not at the same level.

Beal will be at almost $400MM when this deal is over and he's 33.

LeBron James has made $350MM and he's 37.

Also, when I saw you quoted me I was 100% certain you were gonna talk about all the money James Harden has made...you let me down!:D

#8 pmac, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Congrats on locking in the play-in status for the next few years, Washington!

Dacamel and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Good money if you can get it.

don grahamleone and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

People wrecked the Knicks for passing on #11 and drafting Duren or Dieng and instead picking up 3 future 1sts and cap room. I think that trade is defensible from a pick value standpoint alone - it passes the Hinkie test.

What the Wizards did at 10 and with Beal could be way worse, IMO.

Beal has developed a very inefficient high usage drive and midrange game, was well short of all star caliber last but for some reason the Wizards are handing him a quarter billion dollars - AND THEN drafted a very similar offensive style player in Johnny Davis at 10 to add to the already substantial collection of meh-level Role players (Hachimura, Kispert, KCP, Avidja, Satoransky) who probably needs the ball that Beal and Kuzma figure to dominate.

TheJuice and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Somebody said that Tommy Sheppard the Wiz president absolutely loves Beal like a son - i guess he'd have to to give him that big a trust fund.

apollo33, Rudyc281 and pmac like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Beal may just play a season then force his way out as that seems pretty en vogue.

I think he could be the second best player on a contender with the right 1st and 3rd best player.

Rodman23, ak99999 and TheJuice like this.
  14. Asian Sensation

lol no reason to tell you. You’re no Harden fanboi (thankfully :cool:)

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On that contract? I think contenders are going to say, "we're good".

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea I can't see how this makes Beal more attractive as a trade target. Just the shuffling of assets/players alone to get to the $43 million salary is a headache (see: Wall, John). On the talent side, if you're going to acquire $43 million Beal you better damn well have another top tier player on your roster.

Trackwell likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This. I don't think the salary is that bad from a talent standpoint. Contenders aren't going to want to pay that contract and give up assets for it. It is just going to be hard to move as most guys on that salary are either better or overpaid by a lot.

steddinotayto likes this.
  18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Nothing about Beal's personality really suggests that he has the intestinal fortitude to push the team into trading him. The guy seems genuinely happy with spending his career there, win or lose. Good for him, if that's what he wants. I still have no idea why the Wizards are OK with mediocrity, but it is what it is.

19. dmoneybangbang

Have you seen the NBA the last few years?

Major likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Maybe, maybe not. I certainly wouldn’t want Beal on that deal but there are teams at there that would.