1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

If Jabari becomes a decent ball handler and get better at dribbling and can break down and beating his man with his dribble, he is hands down the best player in the draft provided his shooting also translate over

2. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Because that is an important part of the game if he can't dribble it will be easier to defend him, People on this site are trashing KMJ because he never got better at dribbling after asking to be traded.

Yung-T likes this.
  3. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

What was your rank of players?

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

KMJ doesn't have elite shooting at 6'10'', that's why. An average sized SF is going to need to be better at handling, especially if they don't have an elite skillset. Completely different situations

Drift Monkey likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Lots of ifs. There’s a reason why Paolo and Chet went ahead.

Yung-T likes this.
  6. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

We can't hold Jabari to a different standard because he is elite at shooting, he needs to get better at his ball handling and finishing at the rim. we don't want him to be elite just decent.. watching some of his college games he can do it, just have to hope that the coaching staff is skilled enough to help him.

7. tzou88

tzou88 Member

You’re acting as if Paolo and Chet don’t have lots of ifs as well…

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jabari will be the best player in this draft…no homer

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Most have been saying he needs to get better at his handling and that he doesn't need to be elite at it. Why does he not need to be a high level dribbler? Because of his elite shooting ability. but it isn't as important for Jabari to get better at it due to his elite shooting, unlike the player you brought up, KMJ.

I agree he can do it and this coaching staff does a nice job developing young players. Jabari has the perfect mindset for it. that's one reason why I made the "Jabari off the dribble" thread because he can do it, just how good will he become at it?

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The one thing most players don’t/can’t improve at the professional level is ball handling. He’s never going to be an iso player who’ll beat you with his ball handling like KD or even Giannis

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

There are always outliers to become an all time great you have to be an outlier. I’m not expecting it but it’s not impossible.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah because it's a huge detriment to him being a franchise-changing player, isn't that what we should want from the 3rd pick in the draft?

We might never get a pick this high again.

isn't this forum for us to discuss the team good or bad or is it just to hope for best-case scenarios?

Do you think it's a trivial thing?

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I mean his game will never be about his dribble drive. Yes, that will hold him back some and he won‘t be KD - but no, I don‘t think that would prevent him from becoming a player deserving a max contract and being a valuable second star on a championship calibre team. And year, I‘d be content with an elite defender and shooter, that can‘t dribble by quick defenders - but still puts up over 20 points on good shooting percentages and that you can give the ball to anytime to get a shot up and that will take on the opponents best players every game.

Why do players need a dribble drive? To create shots. He can create shots without one. Most need space to get up a shot, he gets up a shot over anybody and hits at a pretty good rate. You add a step back or a better fadeaway and he should be able to hit them even more. Dirk didn‘t have great handles - yet he did drive by people from time to time. Jabari should be able to do it just as well, if not better because of his athleticism. Other guys like Klay don‘t drive by their opponents a lot.

And when I say it‘s not that bad, I mean he can dribble - he is not turnover prone. It’s not a liability. He just doesn‘t have dribble moves to get by quick defenders.He is 6-10 - a lot of 6-10 guys cant dribble past quick defenders. But not a lot of guys can shoot it like he can - from three and from the midrange with defenders right in his face.

And what happens if his shot is not falling and he encounters a good defense without straight-line dribble drives? Well then he has a problem, as would most other players. That‘s what we saw in his elimination game. But let‘s also not forget, he just turned 19 - he is almost a year younger than Chet and lives in the gym. I have faith that his game can evolve - but even if it doesn‘t I have a hard time seeing him not being worthy of a max contractr.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Not just his shooting. He's also 6'10" with good lift on his shots.

Kmj can't get his shots the same way Jabari can. I don't think kmj needs to develop handles either to be a great role player, btw.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, that's what happens to most players but not max players which is my point, and no 2nd options on championship teams.

Can you name a team that was a contender with the 2nd guy being so limited offensively?

16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I’m cool with him complimentary piece to Jalen Green. As long as he knows his role

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

At a max contract?

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I mean most championship teams nowadays have 2-3 max players. And I don‘t know if I would call him limited. I do believe he can be a better player than Middleton, Klay, Lowry to name a few 2nd guys on championship teams lately. Oh, and concerning limited offensively, he also gets to the line pretty often (more often than Paolo if I am not mistaken).

I think the team will strive with Green, Sengun and maybe KPJ being the main shot creators, and Jabari being the spacer/finisher and occassional shot creator. But I also believe we still need a couple of pieces to become a contender, and next off season we will have lots of capspace and maybe another high draft pick.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Robins get max deals in this league.

20. Nook

Nook Member

It’s really too early to tell. I need to see if Smith can get his shot off over anyone in the NBA. If that’s the case then I would max him out. The ability to shoot a high percentage and get your shot off at any time is huge.

Green is a better prospect than Smith, and I need to see continued improvement but his improvement the last 3 of the season was exceptional. He improved defensively, as a shooter and scorer.

I agree with you though, that we don’t know if we have a real franchise guy at this point and until we do there will be concerns.

Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.