1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I watched Auburn, their guard play was generally bad, with awful shooting to boot. Their other leading scorers - Johnson and Green - averaged 29% and 32% from beyond the arc, and also sub 39% from the field. Then, they had a very traditional 5 in Kessler clogging the lane.

Subtract Jabari Smith, and Auburn shot 29% from 3 as a team!

It’s been talked about a bit how spacing may unlock Jaden Ivey at the next level, but I think we should see much better shot quality from Jabari for the same reasons. His effectiveness may go up inside without defenses collapsing down in the paint.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this was a great video. the sports science behind his size/athletic ability giving him an advantage against most bigs is interesting. shows how he will be able to be a switchable defensive big. also interesting that they categorize him as a big as most posters here view him as a 3/4 wing/forward type. I think he will ultimately be a 4/5 big.

its not the first report of his incredible work ethic and surely won't be the last. he's a perfect pairing with jalen. both will be gym rats and appreciate that about each other for years to come.

3. Nook

Nook Member

OKC is further along now than we are, but we gifted them our picks in the Westbrook trade and they have been lucky (George trade) and have taken back bad salaries for picks which we haven’t really done.

We had a really good draft but on paper I think they had an even better draft adding the #2, #11, #12, #34.

Having said that, the Rockets and Pistons are both doing solid in their rebuild so far.

4. xaos

xaos Member

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My biggest fear is that he has a fear of dribbling and will never be natural or fluid, I really liked the Hory comparison but even Horry had a better dribble package but still limited.

With that said a better shooting Horry is very valuable and I will take it.

Yung-T likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, it's that terrible.

I am not worried about straight line drives its about having counter moves.

It's not about having a crazy dribble it's about being able to counter with your dribble or being able to dribble in traffic, without that he can never be the center point of offense, not that he has to be but it's a little disappointing.

Nook and Yung-T like this.
  7. xlr817

xlr817 Member

So Happy, Jabari was my #1 choice. If OKC had picked him, I would want Jaden Ivey instead of Chet! Finally, the Roxs have a taller team.

8. dmoneybangbang

There's a reason why he "fell" to third. As far as superstar potential, Chet and Paolo are the upside picks while Jabari is the complimentary pick. Nothing wrong with that as I'm glad we didn't panic and try and trade up. Not saying Jabari can't be a superstar, just less likely than Chet and Paolo especially the latter.

joshuaao, Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

MPJ is an interesting comp but I think he is more fluid going to the basket and finishing, Paul George is much more advanced playmaker.

At the end of the day he is going to be a very valuable player and he is only 19 so he can develop more diversity in his game but he has some glaring weaknesses.

Nook likes this.
  10. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Good thing potential doesn’t necessarily translate to success. Looking forward to seeing this kid grow! He just needs to get to his spot, rise up and shot with confidence.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, this draft might separate them but I say we are further along because we don't have a max contract yet and we were still as competitive.

We can still do everything that OKC has done, now they may take a jump this year so we will see.

Nook likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Based on what? Both Paolo and Chet had great collegiate years so it's not like there's a floor there already. The modern NBA just rewards shot creation and playmaking moreso than finishing.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

But again: does he have to do that? First I think for us he will never be the center of the offense - just as Duncan or Klay almost never really were.

Second: he needs to be able to create his own shots. He has been doing that all season for Auburn. Now he should be able to create higher quality shots, hence the step back and the drive by overeager defenders. When he adds those two moves he can get good shots at will. He is also working at fadeawys from the mid post, which will also help.

Not that many 6-10 guys can shoot and create of the dribble. When he “justs” gets good midrange shots that he converts at high rates, he should be just fine.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No, he does not have to do that, did you miss what I said in the previous post?

You claimed his dribble package was "not that bad" yes it is that bad why are you moving the goal post?

What happens when he encounters the rotations from a good defense he will not have straight-line dribble drives and what happens when closeouts are under control and the shot is not falling?

This is not about him being a bust its about people claiming that his lack of a dribble drive is not a big deal.

The question what do you mean he should be just fine?

We are talking about the number 3 pick here, will he ever be able to carry an offense if his shot is not falling or they are denying the 3-point shot?

You seem to be missing my point and I don't know what your point is are you content with him being "just fine" as a player?

Yung-T likes this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

his stiffness and limited fluidity in movement is why his game keeps reminding me of LMA, who was probably a better finisher inside but also a worse defender overall and not a 3pt threat. let's hope smith isn't prone to leg injuries like LMA has been.

i'm delighted we didn't take banchero and at the same time disappointed we opted for smith over ivey. hopefully i'm proven wrong.

i will say that smith's demeanor & mentality are great for the team. and i'm looking forward to Dream working with him on those turnaround J's

Nook likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

It is a concern, right now Jabari’s offense is his ability to shoot over anyone at any time and that he is a very good shooter.

That is an awesome combo but hopefully he expands his ball handling and ability to finish in traffic.

I had him 2-4 in this draft because of his ball handling and never thought he was the best player in this draft.

joshuaao, D-rock, KingSamJack and 3 others like this.
  18. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Damn I wanted Smith and either Eison or TyTy at17 and got all 3. I cant believe it.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, he always will be a very valuable player but if he gets no better would you be comfortable maxing him out?

So you have Green and Smith as your max guys how does that stack up?

These are questions that must be asked and I would be very wary if Smith does not become an all-NBA level defender.

Nook likes this.
  20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Dude, I honestly think 1/3 of your posts an about Jabari have been complaining about his dribbling lol

D-rock and Drift Monkey like this.