1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need to jettison Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Daddy Long Legs, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I’m happy that we moved on from Wood - Tate needs to be next.

Tate:
    - hogs the ball
    - has tunnel vision
    - is too short
    - can’t shoot well
    - clogs the lane
    - is too old

Our offense, defense, and player development will improve when we jettison Tate.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

3. fattz

fattz Member

Tate will have a nice return when moved. I think having Tate around in not a negative thing. That said I don’t want to overpay him to stick around.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Tate’s ceiling is PJ Tucker. I wouldn’t mind giving him another year to show some improved shooting.

hajkov, glynch, Dacamel and 8 others like this.
  5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Eventually he will be moved.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  6. PatBev

PatBev Member

Agree. I’d trade KMJ first though if him not starting is going to be a issue for him and his daddy

Between KPJ/green/Eason/Jabari/sengun he will probably never start

Whoever is more content with have a career bench role is who I would keep

TheRedRanger, hajkov, Dacamel and 3 others like this.
  7. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think Eason was drafted to be a bigger/more athletic/rich man's Tate: basically a swiss-army knife who can switch/disrupt on D, finish and create a bit, filling whatever holes are needed in a lineup.

But Tate is expiring after this year, so worst case, we let him walk. But if that's the plan, we should shop him this year -- at 26, I think he could help out a winning team right now, and he seems like the type that would commit to an extension if he finds the right home/organization. He could fit right in as a rotation guy on playoff teams like Boston or Philly, who need some depth and could use Tate's versatility off the bench.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I was ready to move on from him prior to the draft. I thought we could use him to move up with NY and CLE being good fits. I'm not sure I'm willing to give him a big extension next summer.

However, I like the reports that he's improved his shooting. if so, he can be a great starting SF and closing lineup PF. I'm willing to give him until the deadline to see how he's improved. he, Eason, and jabari could be a very effective forward rotation for a very long time.

all depends on how his shot has improved and how much money he's looking for on his extension. if he's become an average shooter and looking for TMLE money, fine. if he's looking for NTMLE or hasn't improved his shot, then we can move on.

glynch, Richie_Rich, Patience and 2 others like this.
  9. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Random trade thead?

10. MystikArkitect

Tate and KPJ are the placeholders that need to be moved on from. But not now. Eason, Garuba, TyTy and Jaygup need more seasoning and we need another year of development. Roll out Tate and KPj next year and be in the Wemby/Henderson sweepstakes.

KJ as well. These are all tweeners that aren't tall enough (Tate) skilled enough (KJ) or smart enough (KPJ) to be rotation players on a contender.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Tate and EG need to find new zip codes

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I thought he’d be a nice piece to move up with but we ended up with Eason anyways. Doesn’t appear we’ll move him before the season. Tate is a ball stopper and not a particularly good shooter but there’s no harm in seeing if he’s made any improvement in either of those areas in the off-season.

13. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Tate and EG will be valuable for contenders at the trade deadline. Both will be gone. Any assets we can get to move up in next year’s draft would be ideal.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Now is the time to keep him IMO.. But he should get 20-22 mpg , whether he starts or not

raining threes likes this.
  15. hakeemthagreat

Nah. Tate is a solid role player who can be very valuable with his work ethic. He was our best defensive player last year & can switch onto smaller guards. I'd actually like him starting with Jabari this upcoming season. Our defense benefits with Tate out there

banzai, Mark, Patience and 3 others like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I don't think he'll do well playing the 3 and that'll hurt his trade value. Might as well flip him now at peak value.

Unfortunately all of the reasons I'd want to keep him are non-basketball reasons.

raining threes, albuster and fattz like this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I was wondering who was the next WHIPPING BOY going to be after Wood! It's ALWAYS one but I think he's better served as a bench player

hakeem94 and raining threes like this.
  18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Meets. Ot position to not fully evaluate all the young talent on this roster and jsut let them go: we need to see who improves

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If we trade Gordon and KJ we don’t need to trade Tate. Tate is the heart of the team and a plus defender. We should bring him off the bench, but let’s focus on trading the guys who don’t want to be here. EG wants an extension or he wants to play for a contender. KJ wants a pathway to more playing time elsewhere. Neither are in our future plans. Let’s get this done already!

Richie_Rich likes this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just move him to the bench.

DD