1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] The Higher Ceiling: Mobley or Jabari?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jun 25, 2022.

?

Who has the Higher Ceiling?

1. Jabari Smith Jr

2. Evan Mobley

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Couldn’t help but wonder.

Also with the amount of Mobley fans around here and on Rockets Twitter pissed about passing on him last year (I know ya’ll are still around):

Does drafting Jabari make up for it?

Who would you rather have?

Is Jabari actually the better fit?

Richie_Rich, ak99999 and randerson like this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

I'll try to be short in my answer...

As a person who wanted Green over Mobley last year (about a 60/40 split) and I wanted Smith this year... I'd say Mobley.

That being said I'm extremely excited and happy we got Green/Smith and would pick that duo over say a Mobley/Ivey duo.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine the defense from a Mobley/Smith front court... two 100% switchable-on-the-perimeter big guys who can also secure the paint. It would have been a nearly unique defensive ability. Add in Tari Eason and it would have been glorious chaos for the other teams offense.

#3 Ottomaton, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Milos, ajc123, Possum and 8 others like this.
  4. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I don't want to writ off Jabari at all, but I'd lean Mobley right now. I think he's a better rim-protector and has the edge in size/finishing ability (arguably ball-skills too). Both guys are highly versatile on D and Jabari's shooting ability is likely more elite than any individual skill Mobley has. But definitely hoping Smith ends up better, it wouldn't be shocking by any means.

Trackwell, JamalP. and D-rock like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Close call. I said Mobley simply because I have seen him play in the NBA. That shot though. If Jabari can develop a solid handle, it won't be a close call.

clos4life likes this.
  6. marinara

marinara Member

Who knows Mobley played a season in the NBA.

Smith been in it for 48 hours.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sorry, not taking the bait.

Still on cloud 9 right now with draft of Bari N Tari.

And if Jabari shot not falling, we all know he will be locking it down on defense. Not just effort, talking about near elite switch defense.

I'm so heypee!!! :D

18pbr, luckyman76, BigMaloe and 27 others like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Guys, the OP is asking the ceiling, not the present.

This is how I see it:

Defense
    Mobley > Smith. Mobley is stronger and better to defend against big men. Perimeter defense, they are about equal, maybe giving a slight edge to Smith.

Offense
    Smith > Mobley. Mobley will never come close to Smith's shooting ability. Neither guy is a playmaker.

Overall
    Smith's offensive advantage > Mobley's defensive advantage

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

This is exactly how I view it, though if it shook out this way, I’m not sure which player I’d prefer.

Easy likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I kind of agree with this. Mainly because ultimately one great defender can only do so much. We saw what happened withe the Cavs when Allen went out - Mobley was still good, but overall the defense took a decent drop.

Mobley unquestionably has the higher defensive potential. Not a question. But Smith is REALLY good on defense, too, and potentially/probably better laterally on the perimeter.

Smith is unquestionably the better offensive player. Mobley was a meh 3 point shooter in college and worse in the NBA. BUT... to be fair to him, just as Smith has defensive advantages potentially over Mobley, Mobley is also super solid offensively not doing more than he should, around the basket, probably a slightly better passer right now.

Honestly, Mobley = Smith is good with me.

Dealing with reality, the Rockets options last year were:
    * Green, Mobley, Suggs, Barnes
    This year:
    Smith, Ivey

If you want a guard-big combo, there is no question which guard you choose. It's not even a debate. There are questions on which big you choose, but you likely choose Mobley. But Green-Mobley wasn't possible. So Green-Smith is potentially the best option that was available.

Hypotheticals adding Cade, Paolo and Chet are fun to consider, but are only hypotheticals... couldnt have happened.

The only other thing that coudl have theoretically happened is Mobley-Smith. Assuming they landed the same spot in the lotto. And that is certainly interesting to think about, but ultimately I'd DEFINITELY take Green-Smith over Mobley-Smith

Trackwell, randerson, ajc123 and 6 others like this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I really think Mobley only gets marginally better from his rookie season. I just don’t see the fire I see in Jabari. Mobley will always be a good defensive player. Jabari is going to be a beast and has the body to be Giannis with a shot, although he will definitely need to develop his handles.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ask me again in one year

13 in 33 and Possum like this.
  13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Jabari has the potential to be a game changer on both ends of the floor. I don‘t think the same is true for Mobley. That‘s why my vote is for Jabari.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. Denovo

Denovo Member

Perimeter defense is more important to me than rim protection especially in this 3 point era.

Give me Jabari.

15. a time to chill

I think if Mobley went in this year's draft he'd be a clear #1 choice. I think he showed better ball handling/shot creation ability coming out of college. Time will tell who winds up being the better player.

vince, CriscoKidd and jiggyfly like this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Okay but who's going to score the buckets and not only that who's going to make the difficult ones in closing stretches of playoff games where defense tightens up?

Jabari is a great shooter but he isn't the type of scorer that Green will be in his prime where you can dip the ball to him anywhere on the court even on a full court press and find a way to make a bucket. And Mobley will obviously never be that player also.

TriumVirate and Drift Monkey like this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think the top 4 of last year's draft all go number one this year. 2021 rookie class was stacked.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the other team scores zero points, and you go 1 for 26 from the field, you still win 2-0.

'94 Knicks basketball philosophy.

ajc123 and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Right now? Mobley. Jabari hasn't play a min in NBA yet.

20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Without knowing how last year rookie played. I won't pick Green, Mobley, Barnes over Chet. Cade is debatable depend what your team need and want.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.