1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

27 wins is enough for a bottom 3 seed this year. Parity is going to be incredible. Rockets probably are no longer the worst team because internal growth, Jabari and Tari will immediately help the wings and losing a Jazz double agent. I’m expecting 28-32 wins now which is fine although I’d prefer best odds at a generational talent in VW.

#561 treyk3, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Deuce, ElPigto, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Shared this one a few pages back but since it wasn’t embedded here it is again. His form is so amazingly perfect.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A white Dirk with defense then. :D

We finally found the right comp!

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Green and Smith can't win a championship in the prime with the right supporting cast and can only be a middle of the pack team, then they aren't really cornerstone type player anyway.

I think we should try to win with the young core now. They will probably be a below average team and get us a lottery pick. (Who knows, maybe we get lucky and win a top 3 pick again at the lottery.) It's time to teach them how to win games rather than just individual development. I hope they get the right coaching staff to do that.

D-rock likes this.
  5. PeppermintCandy

On both offense and defense, Smith's fundamentals are just out of this world. Not just in this video but others on the YouTube.
    He just looks like a son of a former professional basketball player who lived and breathed the game since he was young.

Silas is going to totally love working with this kid.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets arent tanking by choice. They are sucking because their talent is limited so they cant win games. There is a major difference here.

Last year we were one of the worst talents in the NBA. This year we already lost Wood and will likely lose Gordon mid-season. Our rookies will improve, but Jabari and Eason will take time to contribute. So we will end up still being a horrible team. It's not a choice. It's just a fact of the team

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

He literally does not need to be taught anything about form like even Jalen had to go through. Just work on driving takong contact, handling, and post moves

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Magic fans did all this “research” on Jabari
    Rockets fans the same on Paolo
    :D

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

my post is for those who want it to be a choice…those who will be rooting for L’s yet again and calling the organization stupid in the game threads if they win a game because we must tank for the top pick or else we’ll be a treadmill team, never win a title, or whatever else is commonly said

Me? I want to see some real improvement and competence.

ElPigto, Drift Monkey, Moe and 3 others like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Smith is not good at layups just look at how higher the numbers are for Derozan at the rim.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So again if he has this great work ethic why is he so suspect at dribbling?

Why has he not worked on his dribble to this point both Banchero and Holmgren have advanced dribble games and so do most other guys who will play on the wing.

Dribbling is more of an innate skill it's, not something that you can just develop out of nowhere, and it's not repetition like shooting.

Yeah, he will do all of those things nobody said he would not but that still does change the fact he will have trouble creating his own shot which is concerning for the #3 pick IMO.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The Suns had been one of the worst teams over the last 5 to 8 years and have several high lottery picks on that team they did not just change because of one trade.

Come on my guy.

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

I think we could get Zion for Jabari in a trade…

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

U again?

[​IMG]

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We can exchange intel with them. Save some work. :D

D-rock and J.R. like this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So anyone who has a weakness in his game at the age of 19 must not have great work ethic?

Drift Monkey, Possum and D-rock like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did I ever say he does not have a great work ethic?

The point that you missed is that if he has this great work ethic either he does have the ability to dribble at a higher level or he thinks he does not need it in his game.

Or he is just scared to dribble.

Which is it was the question?

Can you name a wing that was drafted so high who had such a huge hole in their game?

I have no idea why we can't discuss things like this without people feeling some kind of way, should we not look at players on our team critically and just look at the positives?

I have already said that he was the right pick and have no issue with him but I also realize he has some weaknesses in game that are worrying to me.

19. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

No one is saying his game is perfectly developed, but his combination of size, shooting, and defensive skills make him a solid top 3 pick. The only other real possibility at that spot was Ivey, would you have taken him instead?

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member