1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari and Sengun is a duo made in heaven

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

I don't get why this is so difficult to comprehend.

There's a reason why Kofi Cockburn would have been a lotto pick 15+ years ago but went undrafted, and there's a reason why minimally skilled players who are long, strong, and athletic get picked with regularity now. Every team needs one.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

True, but a situational center who may not even log major playoff minutes isn't something you really need to go out of your way to acquire.

You can scoop one up pretty easily these days.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  3. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

The Jazz are the best case study here… it’s obviously counterproductive to pay someone like Gobert, but I wouldn’t call it “easy”. You still want to maximize their effectiveness, and maybe you’ll get lucky and develop a real talent that wouldn’t get benched in the playoffs.

4. TheBeastSystem

Want to see Jabari defend at the point of attack. Want to see it.

Need to see Jabari defend in the low blocks. Want to see both him and Tari fronting bigs in ball denial down low and see if they're effective that way.

Want to see the Rox offer either Cody Zeller or Isaiah Hartenstein a 3/24-30 deal with non-guaranteed seasons after yr 1. Both guys are possession creators defensively.

And...want to see a lot of bad point guard play from somebody so we keep losing. Getting concerned we may put together a little midseason run that knocks us out of low 5 status.

randerson likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Drift Monkey likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sengun is exactly same height (6'10) and wingspan (7'0.5) as Banchero.

About average for a 5 but it was unnecessary to misrepresent his metrics to exaggerate your point.

ajc123, FLAGRANT1, jdjd and 7 others like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

THIS^^^^

Jabari Smith Jr could step into any team's starting 5 and be a perfect fit.

In any system, alongside nearly any player(s).

#67 D-rock, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Says all the right things.

Kid is tuned in.

Shark44, Student Loan, jcmoon and 4 others like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Pretty sure TyTy will start in RGV and stay there most of the year unless there is an injury or Nix just totally sucks.

RocketsTerps and D-rock like this.
  10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

No way he’s 6’10. Saw him standing next to Jarred Vanderbilt who I know for a fact is 6’9. And Vando looked at least the same size if not bigger. But undersized is undersized, Sengun has game.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I have seen side by sides where he looks 6’9 and some where he looks 6’11. Depending on angles.
    Either way he’s not 6’8 and his wingspan is over 7 ft.

You’re right, game is game

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Getting more excited as time goes by with Jabari. I think we could have a helluva trio brewing.

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

even though I thought Paolo was the best prospect in the draft, I was pretty confident that the fit with Sengun wasn’t gonna be great. This has been well debated: overlapping skill sets and weaknesses, defense, etc. And since I am a big believer in Sengun, it did bother me a little that longer term we may have needed to make a change. But I am so grateful that we ended up with Jabari because I think it actually increases the value and production of some of the other great young talent on the team.

I agree that when u are the worst team in the league, you take talent over fit, but when the talent is virtually the same, and the fit helps maximize your other good talent, it truly is a match made in heaven.

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Jabari Smith shows great promise as our starting Power Forward!.
    Semgun is not tall enough to be a Center in the NBA but might show that he has improved
    from all the off season workouts he has been doing. I think of him as a Power Forward. Y

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe Artest's insanity was what made him so good. :D

JayGoogle and Drift Monkey like this.
  16. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

Rehire Van Gundy! (Half joking)

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Dream fit for sure .

jabari is dream fit with just about everyone .

Someone (maybe op) said it reminded them of a bigger better combo with kmj and I agree .

Sengun knows how to take advantage of vertical spacing provided by teammates and the ability to finish at the rim . If he sees you open there he can deliver a pass .

Jabari can both be an open shooter on sengun postups + play with him in a two man gabe where he pops or goes to the rim .

... on Defense what Sengun needs from a frontcourt partner is athleticism and the ability to stop bad things before they happen.

jabari is smart , can disrupt passing lanes with his length... he’s got great effort on his man and shouldn’t give up easy penetration. The rest is gravy .

I know we are a young team . But our goal should be top half defense .. realistically 15-20 .

ajc123, Student Loan, jcmoon and 3 others like this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I hope TyTy is the playmaker we've been wanting.

slothy420, jcmoon and Drift Monkey like this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think this is the dilemma of a team like the Jazz. You don't want a starter in the regular season to be unplayable in the playoffs. That's just a disruption too great to overcome.

If you need the guy playing starter minutes in the season to get to where you are, but bench him to play spot minutes in the playoffs, who do you play in his place in the playoffs? A bench guy or a guy at another position and shuffle your lineup?

A more ideal situation is that you have a starting center like Sengus in the season and in the playoffs. But you also have a traditional D&Rebound center to back him up. That way, you don't grind Sengun down in the regular season by forcing him to bang with big men night in and night out. And in the playoffs, if the match up has a dominant big man, you can always bring in that D&R guy.

And D&R centers are easier to find nowadays than in the past because teams don't need that many of them anymore. They can't play two non-shooting big men at the same time and lose all spacing.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I'm sure it helped his intimidation factor. Similar to a pitcher being effectively wild.

Drift Monkey and Easy like this.