1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

nah Dirk didn’t really penetrate a ton. He had that option …. He could do it at times but his game actually is strikingly similar to Jabari’s. I think the offensive style is a really strong match. Splashing 3s. Tough mid range 1 dribble stuff. Then the occasional dribble drive move.

and Dirk was nasty. MVP level nasty. With bad defense lol.

the shot HAS to translate though. Except his rookie year Dirk basically shot high 30s into mid 40s on 3 % almost every year. Jabari’s shot is pure as **** so he can do it.

here’s some Dirk highlights. Super similar arsenal.

2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I’m still on cloud 9

Rudyc281, Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  3. JayZ750

Man… it’s probably cause I’m high but Jabari’s offensive highlights are A LOT more diverse than i originally thought.

no he doesn’t have an amazing handle but he wasn’t solely catch and shoot. Some nice dribble drives many into monster slams. Some better than expected handle moments.

it’s very easy to see his upside potential as a 25 ppg guy the more i watch. As I said a few posts back the shot HAS to fall at a high clip. But if it does … I can see it.

Also … fun… his highlights are nasty. It’s so much damn this nearly 7 foot dude is just going to do a one pull-up 3 in your face and splash it type action where you’re just like damn, that was right in that dudes grill and pure net. Or said monster slams. Some seriously solid highlight action.

finally… I love his mentality. It’s kind like “get the F off me you can’t guard me” stare and head shake action. Just a strong self confidence. He thinks he badass. But then also obviously does all the dirty work hard nose defense. Get off me splash 3s, I’m going to guard 4 guys on the other end and contest a 5th on the shot and then stare you down type stuff.

translate-ability? Tbd. I can see the better taller Harrison Barnes “low” case. Where I was having problems seeing the ceiling case was trying to pigeon hole him into this more fluid wing like forward. People keep trying to hype him with some silly KD like comparison. Whereas in reality his ceiling case is Dirk with slightly more athleticism that can be all defense team regularly. That’s INSANELY good. Dirk has an MVP and a ring against a super team as the solo “man”on his team. If it happens….

Sweet highlight video

#523 JayZ750, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    AroundTheWorld, Easy, BigM and 6 others like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Patrick our only hope man!

Reeko, Rudyc281 and JayZ750 like this.
  5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Going to have to revisit this, but Ray Allen was a great shooter but didn't have elite handles at Uconn. Two of the guys drafted above Ray had elite handles (Iverson, Marbury)

Otto Porter was smaller than Jabari (6-8 198 lbs at age 20, Jabari is already 6'10 220lbs at 19), often injured and his situational draft percentiles in Georgetown aren't as good as Jabari.

Ray Allen was a career 18 pts game player, while a star for the Bucks and Seattle, his most successful years team-wise were being a second or third option. Ray only averaged 13 pts a game as a 21-year-old rookie:
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/allenra02.html

Again not saying he's going to be the 6'10 Ray Allen, but if that's the ceiling, barring injury Otto is on the lower end of the spectrum for a player comp imo.

#525 OkayAyeReloaded, Jun 25, 2022
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nice comp!

Nowitzki that can switch 1-5.

Easy and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

the thumbnail lol

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Exactly!!! Everybody and their mother are tanking for Wembanyana. Take the path less trodden is what I'm suggesting.

And who cares if OKC rewarded.

Odds just do not favor Rockets, rather think out of the box.

Plus I'm tired of tanking and I think Green is too.

Bird in the hand ...

#528 D-rock, Jun 25, 2022
    Easy, Reeko, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  9. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Why does every single NBA youtuber have this same over hyped up persona, Its grating to listen to.

This is legit the only man I can stand, barring the guys who only make high-production projects (Jimmy, Dom, etc)

10. JayZ750

truly I thought it was because I was high but the weed is wearing off.

then I spent 60 minutes watching Dirk highlights and Jabari highlights. About half and half.

and I’m truly blown away by how similar the offensive games are. Dirk didn’t get the ball and get into a series of moves or drive by people. He’s so mini pop up’s off pin downs and hit the mid range. He’s splash 3s. He’s hit Dirk fadeaways (see Jabari’s crazy spinning wrong footed jumper he did a few times). And most of the dribble drive stuff was 1-3 dribbles just into a spot he was comfortable. And the finally the random “ok” type play. He has more in him.

Jabari’s highlight reel is basically exactly the same. It’s a bit uncanny.

plus as you say he can guard 1-5.

now I “know” what his upside case looks like better. Not sold he’ll get there … but hard worker, really wants it attitude. Even with all the right comments he says about winning, teamwork, ignoring stats… you can see it underneath. He’s pissed. Even the alpha mentality… I didn’t get it before. But watching his reel. Just some nasty stuff and when he does it the attitude is nasty to boot. That’s not a guy who doesn’t want it for himself.

More hopeful for sure

11. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

WE need one more Star, KPJ,Green,Jabari and Al P are not ever going to win a championship. if we get to good to fast we will end up as a middle of the pack team, that can make the playoffs but never truly win it, I want as much star talent as possible

12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

That's right!!! I think they will still be a lottery pick. Maybe they can combine their pick and whatever they get for Gordon to move into top 10.

D-rock likes this.
  13. beardsanity713

This breakdown may have been posted in another thread but

H-Town we got another one!!!

The way this man breaks down film and understands his strengths and weaknesses is a plus. Bball IQ is off the charts.
    He's able to process the game very well you can tell he works on his game a lot.
    He has a mature demeanor. Great NBA pedigree.
    Has a leadership mentality which we have sorely lacked.

This rebuild has been fun so far
    Actual homegrown draft picks is nice for a change.

Peep the Dream reference in the beginning!!

Shark44, JeffB, Rudyc281 and 5 others like this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And this is the best case scenario for me.

That Jabari is Dirk with better defense.

That's why I said if Jabari masters that turnaround shot, he won't need even average handling, just hit him in his spot and let him shoot over small dudes. He'd still be elite offensively. A lot of great bigs offensively didn't have amazing handles, they had that ability to knock down tough middies though.

Jabari gets that down and his shooting and defense translates? You're talking about a sick player.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wembayana is very toolsy on offense but he's not as switchable defensively as Chet.

Nor is he as physical. Plus Chet doesnt have any injury history compared to Wembanyana.

I'd take a chance on Chet right now if OKC was open to do it. Let OKC roll the die and sweat it out next draft.

Just thinking out of the box, but Stone unlikely to heed anything I suggest so point is moot. :)

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Pretty ingenuine, there are several post-ups and back to basket moves (including hooks and up&unders which I've never seen from Jabari) in those videos. And a way higher tendency of driving in half-court.

There's more of his rookie and college stuff if you forgot.
    I followed the KD hype pretty closely back then and he was always known as one of the most fluid and versatile offensive college plays ever with the full arsenal, not sure you remember right or watched him back then. His handles were okay too with crossovers and distribution etc and not as remotely as bad as Jabari.

Judging by how you talk about him I'm honestly not sure you ever watched him in college or Seattle (except for that one Texas game you posted), feel free to look up other games and scouting reports to see you're wrong.
    Edit: I also checked and he literally had the highest amount of freethrow attempts in the country per game, so yea, just jumpers huh.

#536 Yung-T, Jun 25, 2022
    red5rocket likes this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I've been calling Jabari Dirk on here for a long ass time. glad I'm not the only one who sees this comparison

Edit: here's me calling the Jabari-Dirk comp in April. A Dirk with defense is obviously an all time player that would ensure rings. Best case scenario but he's gotta work to get there. Maybe hit Dirk up next offseason

#538 Scarface281, Jun 25, 2022
    AroundTheWorld, JayZ750 and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Worth the read!

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

I honestly can’t believe we got jabari