1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jalen & Jabari

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

There is nothing scientific about race it is a social/historical construct and humans are not like dogs wtf is this 18th century mentality.
    Intelligence is absolutely not inherited... Wtf please tell me how you would breed a human for intelligence what 'race' in the US would shine above others. Smh.

You are discussing your perceptions and you are right to call it a speculation. There is no scientific evidence than certain phenotypes lend to an athletic or mental advantage.

Anyway back on topic, the one thing you you mentioned that everyone can agree on the affect wealth has on success. If you look at the NBA most of these dudes come from well off upper class families and it's been that way for a while. There are fewer Lebron's or Pat Bev.

Harlem Globetrotters impact followed by the NBA success in marketing their players and the boom of hip hop 80s it's not surprising to how basketball became linked with black American culture. Baseball lost out heavily.

It's why people say representation is important. If people don't believe they can do something can't envision themselves doing something they will fail or they won't try. (Big reason why we are lucky to having Green... Dude doesn't just say the things he says he actually believes he is a bucket, no Adam Morrison syndrome)

Balkan culture is also heavily tied in with basketball. Not because it's cold and the average height is 6' -_-.

In that case where are all the scandanvins? Soccer is king there.

All cultures that have some affinity to a sport and then marketed success can attribute it to some historical point wether it be a single icon, a sudden random distribution of 90s Michael Jordan tapes etc.

US soccer had theirs in the early 90s... and subsequently women's soccer took off with heavily marketed stars providing the notoriety.

2. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

So he's Jayson Tatum. Cool.

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Jordan/Kawhi/Klay

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Little taller, little longer and better athlete. Much better shooter and defender.
    If he develops his handle he could be a rich man’s Tatum imo

i3artow i3aller and Fulgore like this.
  5. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Something that has me potentially quite excited, he's got the size and length to develop some rim protection abilities but he didn't really need to do it at all in college since they had Kessler. If he can develop that a bit more, you could run lineups with Jabari at the 5 where you still on defense have a C, but on offense have him play outside more which opens up a ton of space and opens up the lane for Jalen to attack it and really unlock himself, similar to what we did in 19-20 when we traded Capela and Russ (pre-bubble/covid/injury) started operating at ridiculous efficiency, but without losing as much on defense and with rebounding as we did then. Tari Eason would fit perfectly into a lineup like that too and can even add extra rim protection on D.

Really exciting thought for the potential versatility in the future, and even if he never develops that it's not something we need, just something that could add another dimension to the team.

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

When these two grow into their bodies smh scary hours

7. xaos

xaos Member

I'm so damn excited

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

jabari may not ever be an elite or even plus creator.

but you know what he is on day 1? an elite play finisher.

the reason I had jabari #1 all along, I think the most important skills in today's NBA are elite shooting (everyone is a good shooter now), and versatile defense. he gives you the most of both. I don't think elite playmaking is necessarily more valuable, although I think it is very valuable of course. but look at the nba finals. who many elite playmakers did the Celtics have? Tatum. how many elite playmakers did the warriors have? Steph. we have our elite creator in Jalen. if jabari can be our Jaylen brown or klay Thompson, I think we can surround them with versatile defenders and enough shooting and win at the highest levels.

Possum and theDude like this.
  9. xaos

xaos Member

I agree with a good chunk of this but the chunk I agree with I strongly agree

Jabari essentially provides everything you want from your 6'10" player in today's NBA without any of the noise in between... but still has upside to add things that could turn him into a top tier player. There are so many lineups you could create around Green and Smith as well.

10. fattz

fattz Member

Smith’s interview was best I seen, team first. He has been my first choice all a long but was unobtainable. Sengun & Green’s game will benefit from Smith. Porter catch and shoot is at an elite level, too. IF in the half court Sengun can run the offense in the high post while the others just play to their strengths. (This draft lead to the best possible outcome) THAN there is no way to double team against us because the talent all fits together as a team.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that's the other part about jabari that made him #1 on my board. he's the easiest to build around. Chet at center (I think he's ultimately a center) needs a specific type of PF next to him. Banchero at PF needs a specific type of center and even SF next to him. both are extremely talented in one area but have weakness that need to be covered by the surrounding lineup. jabari and jalen fit with most centers, SFs, PGs.

not to mention jabari is also a year younger than Paolo and 2 years younger than chet.

xaos likes this.
  12. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

It's more like new age of Allen Iverson and Rashard Lewis.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

“KPJ J & J”

it’s fun to say

14. TheBeastSystem

Celts lacked elite playmaking. That's specifically why they lost.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the first time in at least 25 years the Rockets have not one but two stars that are two way players. With a hard work ethic at BOTH ends of the court. Not only that, you have a LOT of talent to put around those guys with the current guys, all the coming picks, and 70 million in cap room.

As a fan this is probably one of the greatest offseasons I can ever remember. Jalen and Jabari are going to reinforce a hardworking and high energy culture at both ends of the court that is going to shape this team for years to come, and the city is going to love these guys.

Possum, Losmi_34, solid and 4 others like this.
  16. my time to shine

Yes

BigM likes this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I'd like to see the 5/4 pick and roll with Jabari screening for Alp. Not saying Alp will be able to accelerate downhill toward The hoop but there is plenty of action that can be generated off of this. Sengun can see over the defense and Smith can excel in either slipping,rolling or popping out for jumper.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

HAHAHA been waiting on these

Rudyc281 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We now have to keep them together for YEARS!!!