1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets strategy moving from 26 to 29?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Jun 24, 2022.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Kevin Porter jr will be fine. Washington can run the hell out of the point offensively. He can play defense against most point guards because he's smart, but KPj is long and way faster than Tyty on the defensive end. Tyty will struggle against the fastest players at the guard position. KPj doesn't struggle against them the same way. He's far from being a practice cone.

In a few years after Tyty figures out how to guard the speediest players, that's what KPj should worry about. The drafting of two defensive players ahead of Tyty, we know we're trying to improve the defense this year. So based on Jabari and Tari being drafted, I can't see KPj's defense suddenly being devalued by Washington's presence on the offensive end. That's my take. By several accounts within the organization who said as much publicly, we'll aim for plus defense next year because that's going to be the highest mark put on the season's chaulkboard of goals. So KPj > Washington in that regard.

rammo likes this.
  2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

One of the bad morey trades that we forget about

3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

The 26 or 29th pick was either going to be used to trade up (which wasn't needed bc the guy they wanted slipped to then at 17). Or it was going to be used on a player we stash in gleague and hope they develop bc no way we are adding 3 rookies to last year's 4 rookies.
    Getting tyty is perfect for that especially considering how volatile kpj can be.

I think they want to give garuba a chance this year so with Eason, jabari, senguin, garuba, kmj and Tate, you have plenty of front court players (didn't even include queen).
    The project had to be a guard or a center and a better guard was available

4. rammo

rammo Member

Agree with all this. KPJ is still the guy for me, but I like knowing he’s got some competition personally, and the rotation has improved options…

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Hell yeah, good point. Washington's skills will push KPj to be more than he is today. It would be nice to see KPj focus his game more on distribution and getting the offense going. Him averaging about 7 or 8 assists per game would be a great improvement. Although that 6 per game he's currently at ain't the worst.

6. VoR

VoR Member

Minnesota also must have wanted Moore that badly and thought the Heat would nab him. I honestly thought that Moore was a stretch at 26.

7. VoR

VoR Member

It's also a rotational must. No more journeymen expensive PG veterans. Nice to see if we can develop a purely drafted PG as an organization, they are becoming rare commodities.

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

So is pick 26 for Wood still meaningless?

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

If the rockets keep all the players they have now, yup. Tyty will be wasted and not developed. that was the whole point of a late 1st round pick being meaningless if it isn't consolidated or players moved. He'll either rot on the bench or forced to play in the G-League all year

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

That isn't bad draft strategy though.

Look at the Spurs - an organisation that most concede drafts very well. They picked 2 SGs this year to add to recent mid first round guard picks.

Sometimes the play is on potential and/ or as a contingency.
    I was hoping Kennedy Chandler would be there at 26. Not because I thought he would play much this year, but to get a development PG to go 3rd in the depth chart. TyTy is the same story but was higher ranked - excellent!

So what if he never makes it. It is a late first rounder that we took a chance on to see if we could develop that player.
    Rebuild mode says swing hard and see.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

not criticizing the actual pick. Its what they do after that has a significant impact on whether they can maximize the opportunity to see what they have in TyTy. What I'm focusing on is this just wasting away

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

From my point of view, it is OK if he wastes away. If he isn't end of bench and playing GLeague, then someone else is!
    Trying to develop players means playing them in the system, and if he manages to ball out for RGV and pass Nix to be backup PG, brilliant!!
    If not, that is OK- I'd rather a late first round talent we look at than a non-drafted player to look at.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know where Ty Ty Washington was on the Rockets big board, but I can tell you that the Rockets have liked him since early in the college basketball season. I posted about it numerous times.... he was a name that kept coming up amongst a few others.

I'm not saying Washington will be a star, but he is being undersold. He was a top 10 player in his class. At UK he didn't get to play point guard because they didn't have a good shooting guard, and their second best guard was very short. He is a player than does well with good spacing on the floor, at in college he was on a terrible shooting team so he had no room to operate. He also is a really nice passer but usually was not allowed to facilitate at UK.

He has a chance to be a starter in the NBA if not a good reserve. He protects the ball well, has the size to defend both guard spots, he has the making of a solid shooter. There is some criticism of his athleticism and quickness. If he loses some weight he could surprise people with his feet.

He also is stable as a person and a known hard worker, he fits the Rockets well.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

i view it as a waste, especially when TyTy was viewed as a lottery player to start the year. And also especially meaning the rockets have nothing to show for wood

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

TyTy getting limited minutes or playing in the g league his rookie year does not make it a waste. Rookies don't have to get a ton of NBA minutes their first year to develop. And if TyTy shows flashes he very likely will get minutes because Nix is probably the only true PG on the roster.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

sure does make it a waste. Nix stinks. people try to prop him up only because the rockets are desperate for talent

only "true pg" makes no difference. nobody is going to say oh we have to play nix because there's no true pg here.

you have guys like schroder and EG here who will be playing a ton. in addition to kpj/jg.

waste

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Oh jeez. I remember this picks-for-Knight-and-Chriss trade as one of Tilman's first and most cardinal sins. I thought I wouldn't have to remember that again.

txtodd likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

it cost the rockets melton who has now turned into a solid player

napalm06 likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

IIRC it set off a whole chain involving Melton and the corpse of Iman Shumpert. What moves to be making the year after going up 3-2 on a Dynasty team that's still winning in 2022. Glad the rebuild is going well but man, it's hard to forgive that kind of willful incompetence.

YOLO likes this.
  20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Schroeder and EG aren't going to be on the team long term. It makes absolutely no sense to argue that TyTy is a wasted pick because he might not get a ton of minutes right away. If Nix stinks the only young players ahead of him are KPJ and JG and KPJ might not even be on the team next year.