1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It Was All a Lie

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jun 23, 2022.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

…and Stone didn’t fall for it.

Everything Orlando did was a giant sting operation that targeted our front office, and Stone just casually walked around it and had the best draft of the night.

Im still shocked, but also in awe.

That’s my GM.

2. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Stone's background as General Counsel came in handy in spotting the bluff.

Snow Villiers, Jontro, xiki and 7 others like this.
  3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

I honestly don’t get it…How was this a sting operation?

Wouldn’t they have made it clear that Paolo was a viable option long ago instead of 10 minutes before the draft if they were trying to swindle the Rockets?

Were the Rockets truly Paolo or bust, or was Paolo just the guy who was most likely to be BPA at 3? Jabari and Chet didn’t even bother with Houston. That’s how much the top 2 seemed like a lock.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The only way it makes sense (in terms of what OP is getting at) is if Orlando thought we were targeting Smith.

Yung-T, RudyTBag and don grahamleone like this.
  6. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Or if they thought we'd fall in love with Banchero and get desperate and offer an additional first for a swap this year.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

So.... paint Jabari as the #1, hope #2 or #3 see Jabari as worthy of additional assets to trade up to get - and then grab Paolo at #2 or #3 while pocketing asset(s)...?

Idk...

Jontro likes this.
  8. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Orlando panicked at the last min and now we got the real #1 pick.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm willing to bet they asked Rox for #3, #17, and #26 at the very least for #1.

But the Rox, like the Magic, were happy with any of the top 3 and at the end of the day all 3 teams will feel like they "won."

Jontro, TheJuice, KingSamJack and 2 others like this.
  10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not buying this at all

11. VoR

VoR Member

Orlando saw the Rockets try very hard to get the #1 pick last draft and thought they might be able to see what they could do this draft. They were also getting a lot of pressure from the talking heads about how much upside Jabari Smith has. At the end of the day, they went with the player with the lowest floor after having some big busts with Bamba and Suggs. Smith has the higher ceiling but also has the lower floor of being a Ryan Anderson/Maxi Kleber type player.

I am fine with Maxi Kleber floor and a Kevin Durant ceiling. Would have been happy with Banchero too, but he and Sengun kind of overlap each other.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This.

I think they leaked that they were going Paolo 10 min before pick. Wanted to try to get Houston to panic and give up assets for the guy they were focusing on. ORL then wouldve gotten Smith at 3.

IDK. Houston may indeed had Paolo #1 but I can't imagine that there was a whole lot of difference in their rankings.

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Orlando, Oklahoma City, and Houston all got the player they would have picked first. Well, maybe not Houston. Not sure if they have Holmgren first. But Orlando did cause they selected Banchero... I assume Oklahoma City did because they stuck with Holmgren even with Smith available.

xtruroyaltyx and VoR like this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No if that's the case they make it clear they will take Banchero, not shock everybody by informing WOJ 5 minutes before the draft

15. liveguy

liveguy Member

Exactly!

Orlando clearly told Smith they were picking him.

He even basically said as much when he stated “i’m happy to be where they want me”

Orlando tried to Okie Doke Stone to move up and give them extra 1st’s for Banchero so the Magic could still get Smith PLUS the picks and thankfully Stone didn’t fall for it.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yep.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I just saw the Orlando GM on NBA TV and he seemed pretty non connish.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The lie was that someone was willing to give up a pick for Gordon. We're stuck with him again.

19. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

This right here is what I believe to, Smith was pissed off(they 100% gave him a draft promise) and Paolo was surprised(blow off workouts and was ready to go to houston) I think the media plays a part in it to, the last two weeks leading up to the draft the media kept saying 'if i was in the magic's shoes and had the number one pick i would pick Paolo a true alpha that will win ROY' etc etc Their FO panic all it comes down to.

liveguy, Dobbizzle and mario_v like this.
  20. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

?