1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans 2022 NBA Draft Thread (6/23/2022)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

DeBeards, D-rock and Pistol Pete like this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

3. Rockets34Legend

Yes, these 2 go together. :)

Damion Laverne likes this.
  4. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

DeBeards likes this.
  5. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I Like Ivey. Was very impressive in the conference and NCAA tournaments this year. He's too short to play anything other than PG in the NBA though.

I strongly believe we need 6'7" shooting guards and forwards along with a shorter player like Jalen Green at PG. The NBA playoffs are too different than the regular season in that a good 6'7" defender is going to be able to shut down some 6'4" shooting guard. I don't think we can have both Jalen Green and Ivey as our primary scorers.

That being said, Ivey looks like the real deal. He's really really quick and a great shooter. He comes from a basketball family. He's going to be an all star player I think. I think he has more of a complete game than Green, but that's based off him playing against a completely different level of competition than what I've seen Green play against.

Should be an interesting draft. I'll be happy with Banchero if we pull the trigger on him.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree the odds are with the Rockets being bad. I don't concede that it is a guarantee. As much as the Rockets may want a high pick, if Green is carrying the team, they aren't going to bench him.

RLP55 likes this.
  7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I don’t post a lot in the GARM, much more on Astros board

But the Rockets, and anyone else who passes, will regret passing on Ivey

The same urge to take size that caused Portland to take Bowie is in play 38 years later

TheBeastSystem likes this.
  8. Rockets34Legend

9. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

My big draft hot take is that I think both Ousmane Dieng and Shaedon Sharpe will be busts, at least as top 10 (or near top 10) picks. I also think Benedict Mathurin's typical mock positions I've seen lately (around 5 or 6) is a bit of an overdraft but I don't think he'll be a bust.

I don't feel strongly about many other projected first rounders being a bust, but two players I've seen connected to the Rockets I'd really like them to avoid are Malaki Branham and Jaden Hardy, I don't think either would fit for what I'd want for the team.

10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

why wouldn't they bench kj? we are tanking anyways, and if he doesn't want to be here, we may as well give that time to christopher, #17, #26, and garuba. what's the point? he can go to the g league and work on that 3 pointer and handles, and then play him next year. he's got two more years under contract and we'll try to win in 2023. so he can play well then and be restricted, and then we can lock him up for a cheap contract and trade him later....

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Im going to Treasures to watch the draft tonight. El Hitman was saying Harden is going to be there

12. i3artow i3aller

13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

If we do draft Banchero, I would trade our other firsts and KMJ to get Dyson.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Rockets34Legend

15. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

As long as we land one of Chet or Paolo (It's gunna be Paolo), the draft is a success.

Stay away from no-handles, can't finish at the rim at 6' 10" Smith.

ThrillaNManilla likes this.
  16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

17. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

As I look at Chet Holmgren, I keep thinking of Ralph Sampson. Tall center with guard skills who was able to make it work at 4 when paired with a dominant post scoring center. Good enough in his third season to eliminate the Lakers in the WCF and take Boston to 6 games in the Finals. Sengun is no Olajuwon, but Stick didn't have Holmgren's D or 3. Sadly, only 3.5 years until his body gave out.

Pat and raining threes like this.
  18. Fantasma Negro

Paolo, Jovic, Tyty Washington

TheBeastSystem and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ralph, while taller at 7'4" to Chet's 7'+, had a far better physique, in my opinion. I've posted about him several times over the years. This is a good video of the guy. Watch it and then compare how he looks to anything Chet's in.

slothy420, BigMaloe, Easy and 5 others like this.
  20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

On what channel are y'all watching the draft? BSPN, NBATV, online stream?

Rudyc281 likes this.