1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING! Paolo Banchero Now the Betting Favorite to go No.1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jun 23, 2022.

1. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

The price to move up may not be that high and Rockets may be are so high on Paolo that they dont want to risk Thunder taking him. Perhaps, trading #3 and 17/26 pick is enough to get to #1 if Orlando is fine with either of the remaining two falling to them with they most likely guessing it to be Jabari anyway.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Maybe it's just talk that's gotten out of hand. The Rockets trading up to get Paolo simply doesn't make sense, not that I can see, anyway. Trading up to get Smith or Chet? That make loads of sense to me.

3. thekad

thekad Member

I’m hoping crossed wires; a Houston trade up leaked but it’s for Chet instead of Paolo. Then we can make fun of OKC somehow leaking their disinterest in Jabari.

But more likely it’s Fertitta stupidity.

FLASH21, Deckard and D-rock like this.
  4. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I would think that Banchero would be ours at 3 considering literally all of the pre draft news/workouts that have come out so this is a huge surprise.

Personally it’s Chet, Banchero, Smith for me. If we trade up, I really hope it’s for Chet.

D-rock likes this.
  5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Isn't it possible that this is simply manipulation of the betting odds? Somebody, or some entity may have put a good sum of money on Jabari going 1st. However, the payout for Jabari going 1st is currently quite low due to the odds. By placing a sizeable sum on Paolo, they can change the odds, which can compound as others hop on the same bet thinking there is insider information in Vegas that they are not privy to (like what is happening now).

This will then move the line for Jabari, significantly increasing the payout in comparison to before.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

1. Based on the information from @ch44 it is clear that Paolo is #1 on the Rockets board.

2. If the Rockets are trading up to #1 it is clear something tipped them off that okc wants Paolo at #2.

Would only make sense if these are true.

kdchilds, DaDakota, robbie380 and 5 others like this.
  7. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Clutch must got someone behind the scenes doing him a solid for one last shot at Jabari hahaha

#27 18pbr, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Believe It! likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

BANCHERO MOONING

We’re about to risk it all for Anthony Bennet 2.0

9. Joerex Jamisola

if were not getting bachero or smith, Pick Ivey at 3. Pass on chet

maj21 likes this.
  10. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

You guys heard that the rockets were going to be aggressive… rather wish they be aggressive for the 1st pick next year.

11. Audioout

Audioout Member

I'd take Smith at 3 but other than Smith, I believe in Ivey the most next.

Believe It! likes this.
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

D-rock likes this.
  13. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

How does Vegas have insider information that NBA insiders like Woj or Lowe or Shams dont? It makes no sense. The rockets have no creep as a front office. They put everything on front street if they were going to trade up every nba Twitter hack in the world would have heard something not just Vegas odds makers. To say nothing on how dumb it would be.

14. spm_fan

spm_fan Member

Stone sees three guys at the top that don't project to be "needle movers" in the future.
    But in 2023, there are around 5 guys who are better than any of the '22 top three. With the crown jewel and surefire key to a decade of NBA dominance sitting atop them, you know who.
    Stone calls Orlando and simply says "We'll give you #3 this year for your first next year, no protections of course". Cha-ching.
    Then we take 17, 26 and KJ and call San Antonio to get #9 to draft who we have had on our board as #1 the whole time, Shaedon Sharpe.
    2023 rolls around and look at that, the ping pong balls trickle out in our favor, picks #1 and 2 belong to us.
    Victor is coming home ladies and gentlemen.

RocketsTerps and peleincubus like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

That would be the ultimate fvckery.

16. leangle25

leangle25 Member

Please dont trade up. :,) Whoever falls to us at 3rd will want to prove that they should be the number 1 pick. Will want to prove doubters wrong. I see that as a W no matter who falls a 3. But a trade up...... Unless its for 3 + 17 otherwise dont think its ideal LOL

hajkov, Believe It! and D-rock like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The Magic GM emptied his account

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's never happened before, hence the surprise.

It's more likely Stone is being played.

The rumors of him trading UP to draft Paolo have been around for a bit now.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

First off you should know how inexact the draft is. It wouldn’t take me long to find 20 examples of guys you were sure of that have amounted to dogshit since you post about nobodies like they are stars every year.

Second I am pretty baffled by this rumor. But if it’s true I have new found respect for Stone not less. The easiest play by a mile is to take the guy left at three. He couldn’t be criticized no matter what happens with each guys career. But if he trades up his guy has to hit or he loses his job. That means he cares about winning more than job security.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don’t think this is anything other than books trying to even the bets out. There was probably tons of money pouring in on Jabari and/or Chet being the 1st pick so they needed to move the lines to even the money out.

They don’t want to lose money so you get a bunch of money on Paolo being the top pick and it will even out the money that was placed on Chet or Jabari.

The books goal is to break even and make money off of the vig.

All that said, I’d have no issue moving up to get Poalo if it came down to it. He clearly wants to be here. The front office seems to want him here and he has a good relationship with Green.
    Also I think he has the highest ceiling and is my top player.

would also be fine with staying out and getting Chet or Jabari or Ivey in that order.