1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

confirmation bias. People believe what they want to believe, then look for information that supports that belief… rather than look for information and then decide what to believe.

oh, and also you have integrity. They do not.

mdrowe00, Andre0087, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

so long as the hatchet is buried in Trumps skull

mdrowe00 likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That
    I actually have some relatives who are honest hard working people that believed his crap. I guess the difference is they are die hard Republicans. Party loyalty over anything can make people thick as a brick, when it comes to the truth. I've never pledged alligience for life to a party.

I think scam artists would love to get hold of Trump's donor lists. Anyone still sending that con money is easy pickings.

mdrowe00 and TheJuice like this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

There are still honorable people in the Republican party. If they could organize themselves, they could eliminate the criminal element in their party, but they haven't been able to do that. And while most politicians who oppose Trump have to retire or else get primaried, credit to Georgia Republicans for nominating Raffensperger for another term. I notice the timing of his testimony was right after he secured the primary though. Rusty Bowers is either brave or stupid to testify when he still has a primary to win.

Andre0087, ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Trump loves the Communist and Fascist/Dictators. He wanted to rule forever, and when he lost he desperately tried to steal the election. He doesn't care about anyone but himself any more than those guys do.

Remember how he spoke about Chinese President Xi Jinping?

“He’s now president for life, president for life. And he’s great."

“And look, he was able to do that. I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll have to give that a shot someday."

“Well, you know, he runs 1.5 billion people with an iron fist, yeah, I think he’s pretty smart.”

Then there is North Korea’s Kim Jong-un, whom Trump has repeatedly gushed over.

“ We got along great. I know a lot of things about him."

“He’s a smart guy, he’s a tough guy.”

Anyone who hung with guys like Epstein and Roger Stone for years might be a shady and questionable character. There is no moral compass with any of them, Trump included.

#5665 deb4rockets, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    TheJuice and ROCKSS like this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Really HONORABLE people do not vote for Trump....it is impossible to have integrity and honesty and vote for him.

DD

mdrowe00 and No Worries like this.
  8. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

It was really scary to me how many people I knew who rallied around him once he was the nominee. People I worked with on the Hill and knew from HS/college hated/mocked Trump during the primary...then kind of came around to loving him.

I think the Access Hollywood tape may have had an unintended effect of causing people to feel like Trump was a victim. Much in the same way when a bunch of candidates agreed to not run against each other to prevent a Trump win.

Looking back on it, Trump making fun of Mccain and that being a big deal almost feels like a different era of politics.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Corrupt systems bend otherwise good people to their will rather easily.

There are countless people who swallowed their convictions to vote against Trump or Hillary.

This is the natural end-game of a duopoly.

TheJuice likes this.
  10. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Very true. Unfortunately, countries without a two party system are kind of seeing the same polarization we are here. I think it's a result of globalization, people living longer, increasing urban/rural divides around the world. Israel for example is having their 4th election in 5 years because the population is so divided on everything that it's impossible for anyone to form a working coalition.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

All true, however, multiparty is meant to make your government resilient in the face of polarization, it's not meant to stop it entirely. It will always exist, the question is how fatal/terminal is the problem for your country. For the USA, right now it's a terminal problem.

TheJuice likes this.
  12. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Oh for sure; and it's not a clear cut geographic divide either where we could just split up like Belgium or something.

I honestly think it all stems back from the economy. There's no jobs in big swathes of rural america. Housing is too expensive in traditional liberal cities. We have all sorts of people interacting with each other now that not only live different lifestyles, they can't fathom that others are different than them. So, every election, every debate is an existential crisis for the "fate of the nation". Both sides dig in and here we are.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It bears repeating that almost all of those people testifying at the Jan. 6th hearings are Republicans. Several of them said they voted and supported Trump. That didn't protect them from Trump targeting them and his supporters harrassing and threatening them.

Kim likes this.
  15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

True, what really gets me about Rusty is that even after all the bad things trump and company did he says he would still vote for him.......what?? trump tried to steal an election but you would still vote for him, he is either delusional or simply brainwashed........I think he is trying to save face with trump but the leader of the Az GOP has already put him on blast and has endorsed his rival which is unheard of.....great, now Az has a chance to have people in power who WOULD work to overturn an election they don't agree with. These crazies have no shame nor dignity, anyone who goes and testifies is a rino to the base.

mdrowe00 and Kim like this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Bowers taps into divinity (the 'US Constitution is divinely inspired') in why he stood his ground, so maybe neither of those but more about his religious faith.

Liz Cheney. She will very likely lose in the primary. Principle and honorable. But again, Raffensperger was polled to only have about 1/5 of the Republican vote in the Primary - he ended up winning the majority and avoiding a runoff.

In the end, Raffensperger (and Kemp) easily won against Trump-backed candidates even though Trump has been attacking them for over a year. It tells me that Republican understands that Trump lied and tried to cheat his way into a 2nd term and they don't punish those that stand up to those lies as long as they remain respectful to Trump and supportive of Trump (which both of those candidates repeatedly said that they have no beef against Trump just that they can't do his illegal bidding --- now, if it was somehow legal, they would have done it).

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. I know good honorable people who vote for Trump. They don't know the truth, and that's the issue.

We can't demonize people we disagree with or for their beliefs. This is what they do to us. It's what they do to BLM, LBGTQ, feminists, protestors, and many other people. You're never going to change anyone's mind or anything by digging in to a bias where you begin to demonize them no matter how angry you feel. That is what they do to you. Don't become their mirror image.

FranchiseBlade and bobrek like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It depends on their beliefs. A Baptist minister's belief that LGBTQ should all be shot in the head, I'm going to demonize that person. In fact there should be harassment campaigns on that church and quite honestly I wouldn't even mind property destruction for places that have leaders that make such explicit complaints. These hate preachers use the shield of a civil society to express their hate. Maybe they need to learn that people aren't going to be civil when they express open genocide rhetoric.

Rileydog likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Trump and his idiotic fan base would argue they are not Republicans, they are RINOs.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All I'm trying to say is that not everyone who votes for Trump is an awful person. More of them don't believe LGBTQ should be shot in the head. Many of them are closed off to the truth, manipulated without realizing it. But that's true for a broad spectrum of people, not just Trumpsters, it's just that the people they believe are particularly dangerous and destructive at this moment in time.

I try to judge people based on their actions and how they treat others over their politics or beliefs.