1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall Buyout thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 17, 2021.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

Man I can believe Wall is that hard up about a mere $47.4 million. ;)

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tim MacMahon: When John Wall eventually gets bought out, …I’ve heard Knicks and the two LA teams as potential post-buyout destinations.

sirjesse, tinman and jch1911 like this.
  3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's going to be signing for the minimum at all of those places.

The Knicks were the 20th ranked team in the NBA this year. They will be able to add the #11 pick in the draft or trade for immediate help. It's possible by adding Wall they could improve their playoff chances, but is he really any more reliable than Walker and Rose? If they trade for a difference maker, they could be in contention for a playoff spot.

The Clippers and Lakers were ranked #19 and #23 respectively. Neither has a draft pick to bolster the team and both are wildly over the cap, so free agent help will be hard to come by. I don't see Wall helping either of those teams out, either.

TheJuice likes this.
  4. PatBev

PatBev Member

Honestly tilman & stone should just straight up tell him he can either come off the bench and get bought out at the deadline or waste another year of his career not playing

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I doubt he gives a **** about not playing. $47m while he works on whatever other business ventures he wants. Who can complain.

fattz and TheJuice like this.
  6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Maybe but if he is going to have acreal comeback.... He needs to get started.

DD

DaDakota likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I understand why the Rockets didn't want to play Wall last year but, it just seems bad for guys to waste their remaining primes even if they're overpaid. See Al Horford. Like, if Wall had made $15 m he'd have played the whole season for some team - but since he made $40 he can't suit up.

There's got to be some way in the next CBA to avoid this situation, like limited ability to trade them and lower their cap # or some deferred amnesty

Fulgore and Patience like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, he could have chosen to not exercise his player option, and become a free agent. But he exercised it anyhow, knowing he’d be hard to trade.

I think these are too rare of cases to change the rules, especially when they have an out, but don’t use it.

9. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

We should offer him to Philly for Harden on a renewed contract. We could then re-play the entire thing over from the Harden Nets trade in a never ending loop of pain.

In all seriousness, nobody is going to want John Wall. He was not good coming off a major injury in the limited time he played for the Rockets. Compound that with him not playing another entire year. I don't think he could even make an NBA team this year. He's cashing in on the silly deal he originally signed and would be pretty dumb to opt out of that in my opinion. Now we have to eat it and not look like an a-hole managed team and buy him out. Done deal just paperwork remaining.

Pat, TheJuice and don grahamleone like this.
  10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If they weren't going to play Wall because they wanted to develop KPJ, they should've done the same with Gordon. Wall at his age was 3x better than KPJ and better than Gordon. Maybe with Wall, you win 5 to 8 more game, maybe even 10,but you're still drafting top 7 and can get a high quality player in the draft. I wouldn't have sacrificed Wall for the development of KPJ especially since Wall was helping the young guys anyway. It made no sense to me especially while they still played Gordon who is equally injury prone. I mean Kevin Johnson and John Stockton rode the bench for at least a year to figure out how to be a professional.

tinman likes this.
  11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It wasn't his choice not to play.

tinman likes this.
  12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Didn't they keep Gordon off the court due to "injury" for the tank-stretch? (I mean, the post-all star stretch)

Yes, they played Gordon early in the season, but he was hardly getting in anyone's way back then

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

There was a perfectly good way in the CBA? Opt out and sign a deal with someone else.
    If he didn't like his situation at Houston, he himself had the power to change it by not accepting the terms of the deal.
    I don't blame him for taking the cash - especially when there is a good chance he gets bought out. But it is also very hard to blame the Rockets for not playing him, and hoping a trade might materialize, or he might opt out... Both parties had the "right" of it.

theDude likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

The start of a new calendar year in the NBA on Friday means that Houston's John Wall will very soon be down to the final season of the four-year, $171 million contract extension he signed with the Washington Wizards in 2017.

Wall has appeared in only 72 regular-season games since his last of five consecutive All-Star appearances in February 2018. The 31-year-old didn't play in a single game this past season with the Houston Rockets after Wall rejected Houston's attempts to restrict him to limited minutes off the bench behind young guards Jalen Green and Kevin Porter Jr.

Yet rumbles have finally begun to circulate about Wall resurfacing as an active player next season. This week marked the first time in some time that I heard serious murmurs about Wall successfully negotiating a buyout with the Rockets after his season on the sidelines — provided Houston remains unable to find a trade partner on a Wall deal.

It is still unclear, with Wall presumed to be essentially untradeable when he's due $47.4 million next season, how much of that salary he would have to surrender in buyout talks to convince the Rockets to let him become a free agent. The latest Wall-related scuttle does, however, suggest that a pathway for the sides to get there is at last materializing.

Interest in Wall from the Clippers and Heat, if he can finally make his way onto the open market, has been mentioned for months. I’ve likewise been advised that the Lakers — resistant as they remain to trading Russell Westbrook to Houston for Wall by attaching draft capital as a sweetener for the Rockets — would consider Wall as a candidate for the roster if he is suddenly available via the buyout market.

red5rocket likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He did the smart thing, so did the club.

I do think the NBA will address it against the clubs though, not allowing them to sit a healthy player for no reason....

DD

16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I forgot where i saw it from but the reason why the NBA step in with the 76ers was because they were losing a lot of money with how bad the team was Philly is a bigger market you had owners on the east coast complaining about it, while Houston and OKC are not the biggest draws so we are allowed to do something like this.