1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Kelly IKO - Kenyon Martin Jr. Looking for a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 20, 2022.

1. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

IF Jalen turns on KPJ its over for him in Houston so far KPJ and Jalen still like each other.

2. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets are very good at using the media and especially a few reporters to get their message out. The Rockets take the high road as often as possible and do not try to burn bridges. We have seen it over and over again. They have said very positive things about Cousins, Wall, Schroeder and numerous other players. They even made a big deal out of trying to work out an extension with Wood, when it is obvious that wasn't sincere.

The only player they really buried was Harden on the way out, and that was by ownership and not the front office. They learned their lesson, and after Cousins lashed out they have publicly bent over backwards to talk up their own players.... be that Wood or Porter or Schroeder or Oladipo.

So the Rockets saying nice things doesn't surprise me.

luckyman76, D-rock, Yung-T and 5 others like this.
  3. anchel

anchel Member

In fact, it is the opposite.

Joe Joe and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Well that sucks.

He'd be a great catch and shoot 3 & D player at the SF position without needing to add anything to game. Doesn't need the ball, always plays hard.

Makes me more inclined to deal Tate to be honest as I see KJ improving more than him in the next 2 years. His lack of wingspan and handle is super overblown, it's not his game and he's a pogo stick to make up for lack of length.

Dumping Wood and hopefully Gordon next should go a long way towards freeing up minutes though. I hope they don't do anything stupid like re-signing Schroeder, because that pushes KPJ and Christopher to more minutes at the 2/3, which means less for KJ.

I think it can be worked out.

mikenm268, luckyman76, jcmoon and 2 others like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I thought the two things might be related, that the Harden drama prompted them to rehab their image in anticipation of being FA players in 2023.

6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Fact is we wasted time playing this guy significant minutes last year at the expense of Christopher, Nix, and Queen. Silas was selfishly trying to win meaningless games instead of developing our talent after the All-Star break. Funny thing is he stll ended up with the worst record.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I love Tate , but I’d settle for top 10 protected future . Can’t be this draft

Absolutely agree on Gordon . Black mark in stone if he doesn’t do this .

unlike others here I think playing Tate was the right move . KMJ didn’t earn time over Gary or Tate or Armoni . He’s got athleticism, but he’s not able to use it

D-rock and Nook like this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The problem is he was horrible defensively. REALLY bad. ANd not exceptional at 3, though solid and I think could be better.

I'd love to keep him, too, if he could be good defensively... but Mikal Bridges he is not.

xaos likes this.
  9. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

It’s a shame, but I’m hoping the squeaky wheel gets some grease… Our biggest worries with Sengun/Paolo are rim protection, shooting, and vertical spacing.

KJ at the 3 could be a huge answer to those. He can act as a true weak side shotblocker, switch well and really help us in the rebounding battle. Plus he’s a proven spot up shooter/rim-runner.

My ideal lineup has KJ at the 3, but with Gordon, Tate and possibly Gary in front of him, he has no chance.

His trade value is nowhere near what his on-court/contract value are. Also he’s been said to be the funniest guy on the team. Great locker-room guy. Start him already!

Dobbizzle and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  10. maj21

maj21 Member

I’m okay with him going. Can’t handle the ball to play the 3, not a good on ball defender, inconsistent shot, and too undersized at the 4. Another guy that’s way overvalued on these boards. Adios!!

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I definitely understand the "redemption" story linings of KPJ... but the antics and fall-out have come as close as just this past season. I really do hope he gets his s**t together, not for basketball reasons but honestly just so that he can remain a solid human being and not let the demons inside get ahold of his mind.

My question is; what happens when/if he feels that support system isn't on his side anymore. He has a break-up with his woman, the coaching staff starts being a bit harder on him rather than catering to his unstable mindset, and even worse when we start losing yet again and the rest of the media starts turning on him like they will surely do now that there will be not one but two potential all-stars shining above him on the roster (Green and Banchero).

These are all real life events that could effect his mind state and honestly it's not a good x-factor to have within any type of organization as a building block. Back to basketball perspective; I love his game! Could he bring more energy and effort on defense? Absolutely but name me one player on this team that couldn't use a bit more effort on defense, this is also including JaSean.

The kid has talent this is obvious but this really is a wildcard on a young team still attempting to rebuild its culture within the organization. I'm hoping having Banchero and Green on his side will help his cause that much more. We'll have to take the wait and see approach with the entire team, especially KPJ though and the rest of his 'baggage'.

Plowman and saleem like this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I like KMJ and his 3 point percentage has improve, but his defense and his handles are very below average. I do not know if he can be a starting SF. The Rockets need to trade him for a 2nd rounder or a package deal with Tate and Gordon. I believe they are looking for taller, athletic and defensive minded players in the draft like Tari Eason, MarJon Beauchamp and my favorite Osumane Dieng. Dieng is 6'10, have handles, a shot maker and can distribute the ball with ease. He is great with PNR. The rockets are now moving toward players who are taller and athletic than Martin, Tate and Gordon.
    I look for the Rockets to draft 3 players Thursday and trade Martin, Tate and Gordon to move up in the draft. I would draft Bancheros, then trade my 26th pick, Gordon, Tate and Martin for their 11th pick for Walker, Noel and Reddish! Reddish could be our starting SF and Noel would backup Sengun and Walker backup Porter. Then for our 17th pick we will draft Tari Eason....I believe Eason will be there because he is not a lottery pick.

Starter:

Porter
    Green
    Reddish
    Bancheros
    Sengun

Bench:

Walker, Christopher, Dieng, Eason, Garuba and Noel

Our team would have more of a defensive mind set with Porter and Green each averaging 20 points a game and Bancheros averaging 17 points a game and 8 rebounds. Sengun will average 16 points and 10 rebound and 5 assists

PLAYOFFS!!!!!!

13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Not an unreasonable request from KJ. I think his on court performance has more than justified more playing time, especially on the worst team in the league. That he has so consistently been buried in the bench has probably been frustrating.

That said, I think he needs some perspective. Which team is going to value him? Who put there wants a player with his skillset? A win now team will not want him, that's my guess. I would think his greatest value would be for a rebuilding team, and all of those teams, like us, will have rookies at his position that are higher priority in the depth chart. So I don't see many scenarios where he gets more playing time than we're giving him.

14. PWR

PWR Member

This is the result of poor leadership throughout this organization. I can't stress this enough, bring in a real coaching staff.

FrontRunner and D-rock like this.
  15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Disagree….you can’t take the thug out of a person in most cases long term. When he takes substances and abuses his significant other will Lucas be there for him. Many people with these types of issues have had good support groups like families who care and it eventually falls wayside after a bad game, etc. We all hope the best for this young man, but let’s not play fantasyland here and give him the keys to our franchise. KMJ is clean and a legit talent, whom I sure as heck don’t want to see playing against us as I’ve never seen more athletism in a player of his build in my lifetime.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Won’t happen. At worst they trade 26 for a future first.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, that's exactly it. If you are looking at it from his perspective, he couldn't even get solid time last year on a tanking team when he absolutely deserved the minutes.....and now that team is looking to add more players in the draft that will likely bury him on the bench even further.

He's not a guy that is a starter on a good team, but I think he can be a solid bench guy. Right now, the fit just doesn't seem to be there with this team. Most of the talk about the draft has the Rockets stocking up on wings...more direct competition for Martin AND unless he's moved, the Rockets will keep forcing Tate into the starting lineup. There just isn't minutes for him.

I think a divorce is mutually beneficial in this instance.

HorryForThree likes this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I feel like I missed some things, I remember there was "something" at one point, but what antics were there with KPJr this year?

19. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know. I only know what people closer to the situation tell me.

What I can tell you is that some of Porter's teammates like him quite a bit, and that includes Jalen Green.

I can also tell you that some of his teammates and those that work with him are sick of his Jekyl and Hyde personality changes and sick of his inconsistent effort.

He obviously has improved enough to remain on the team, but I am not convinced that the organization is sure he is part of the future.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

your username is basically the same as KMJ. Manimal. Tweener with hops that’s can’t dibble

Time Lord is a better version of KMJ.

You need to watch more ball.