1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly IKO - Kenyon Martin Jr. Looking for a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KPjr is not the problem. He's trending up, big time...off & on the court. Some of you are so caught up in villifying him that you're missing the emergence of a star...an amazing story of a human being growing...overcoming...becoming. Open your hearts and minds...Hell, open your eyes. I know most of you possess the hoops acumen...We have the support system in place ...including his woman and her Godfather. (who just happens to be JL) The kid is on his way, and I welcome that point during the season when each of you gets it.

As to KMJ & his Daddy - Don't let the door slap your arses on the way out.

luckyman76, rkh-dog, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The issue with Schroder has always been that he has a toxic personality and ridiculously inflated ego. He runs his mouth WAY too much for a borderline scrub. You just don't want to put up with that from a guy who struggles to keep his TS% above .500. He's a homeless man's Patrick Beverley, but he thinks he's a star.

He's looking at heading to his 6th team in his 10 year career and NONE of his old teams want him back....

AroundTheWorld, D-rock, Milos and 2 others like this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

KMJ doesn't really have any SF skills though except maybe the fact that he can hit wide open shots... and I mean they need to be wide open

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. lionaire

lionaire Member

Mistakes were made. It should've never got to this point but it is what it is. Now...if we could turn a package of EG, KMJ and the two late frp's into one singular asset of similar or equal value that'd be ideal.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I would have definitely valued KJM over Tate. Mismanagement by Stone and Silas.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

we don’t need maybe starters. We need high ceiling starters. KMJ will not be a big loss considering the massive amount of forwards on the team

7. Nook

Nook Member

It's complicated from what I have heard.

Silas is liked by his players.

Just ask yourself, how does an inexperienced head coach handle a team that is bad and has numerous guys with a bad attitude? Especially if he is restricted by the front office in who does and doesn't play?

How much is on Silas and how much is on Stone? Hard to say.

I don't think that the players have tuned Silas out, but yeah leading the league in losses and with young players makes it hard to keep everyone on the same page.

There are parts of Silas' personality that I think highly of, and I don't think he is absolutely terrible, but I do wonder how long he is for the Rockets job.

8. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Is the rockets FO split? or is this just a leak on Silas?

9. anchel

anchel Member

Hahaha, wow, that's very good news to me, more minutes for a player with real upside.

Ridiculous request, but wish you get it, Martin family!

ashleyem, hakeem94 and saleem like this.
  10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Spot on DD. This team needs to address the coaching situation. Also hearing that KPJ may be on the block as they are getting rid of difficult players instead of bringing in a disciplinarian head coach as they should be doing.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Crazy to think you like Silas, didn't think you would like him somewhat, but i do think he got the short end of the stick but I would give him the 2023 year(if we some how get lucky and get the #1 pick) If we get the #1 overall pick and can get Victor i would like to see what he can do what a team that has Talent.

13. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I really don't blame him but I don't think it is necessarily a trade demand. I think it was a conversation about his future on the Rockets and this leaks out. I'm not sure why Tate or Mathews played ahead of him last year. We were losing near every game, why not let him get some miles on his tires? He wasn't worse than Tate last year.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Learning on the job has risks is a reference to whom? Stone?

How many times have people noted that when the Rockets are good again and making regular playoff runs, A LOT of the current roster won't be here? It's unavoidable. This is a guy they got with a super cheap asset that has overperformed, but still has issues.

Could he have gotten more PT last year? Sure.

But ... EVEN wanting a trade now for more PT, the RIGHT way to approach that would have been to be in the gym all the time, and at the optional camps. Why? It makes it easier for the Rockets to trade him, imo. And it paints a picture of a guy, imo, who behind the scenes might have been more about pouting and wanting more, than working on his handle and defense. KMart senior's comments last month is more potential evidence of this.

But even if that's NOT the case, even if KMJr. is the MODEL young player, he's just not a JG that's going to come in and get PT just "because". And as easy as it is to criticize Silas - something I do all the time!! - 75%+ of NBA coaching is still on the players. Silas was surely TRYING to win at least. And in today's nba, I'd absolutely play a dude like Matthews, who had ONE clear but valuable skillset - 3&D (great at charges, better at d than KMJr for sure) - over a young guy that should get better and better over time but whose only plus skillset so far is athleticism, something LOTS of young kids have and never move beyond.

I'd like KJ to stay. His mold is so perfect... BUT only IF he can accept 3&D and focus on that 100% of the time in the offseason. Based on this trade request, lack of committment to offseason camps, etc... that seems unlikely.

If he has value to another team with any of EG, 17, 26 to move up... trade him and move up. Otherwise, keep him and keep your options open.

REEKO_HTOWN and lionaire like this.
  15. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I am thinking we keep all three picks.

lionaire likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know what type of contract he will get. He obviously has a lower ceiling than some players but what he does is valuable to a contender.

The Rockets going forward really don't have a lot of excess draft picks. Everyone is excited about the NETS picks, but we owe OKC big as well.

The ideal would be to deal Tate to a contender for a future #1 that is top 10 protected. That way the Rockets have the asset locked in to make deals.

I don't think they can get a #1 for KMJ, but perhaps a couple future #2's.

The Rockets don't really need anymore picks in this draft, but future assets.

I don't think the Rockets will do it, but they would be smart to take on future salary in a Gordon trade to get better assets.

Shark44, D-rock, jcmoon and 7 others like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hasn't he shown some maturity and a willingness to get better? Is the organization looking to draft Ivey and to trade KPJ?

Nook likes this.
  18. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Ivey is not being drafted no matter how much you guys want him to be, the only way the rockets take a guard is next year with scoot and that only if the rockets get the #2 overall pick in 2023, If they get the #1 Overall pick its Victor and if stone drafts Scoot over Victor he needs to be fired.

RocketsTerps, DaDakota and JayZ750 like this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've surprised myself by how I'm turning on KPJr. I really did not like him for much of the year. But the main reason I've turned on him, shock of all shocks, is his mindset and attitude. For a dude labeled a "locker room cancer" before we got, he seems to be putting in the effort, a genuinely nice kid, liked by his peers, who just had a LOT on his plate and didn't get everything he needed to be, in the best league in the world, at a new position, with barely any PT to date. Coming into last year, he had a total of 76 games under his belt, only 26 as a starter and basically none as a PG.

That said I still have reservations. I still think "natural" PG isn't right for him. I still think the "less" he does at times, the better he is - his catch and shoot 3 point % is the ultimate sign of that.

But amazingly, he seems like he has his head set straight, and if they can build a team and culture effectively, will be a really plus asset moving forward. Fingers crossed - he definitely underperformed my hopes this past season, but that's probably more about me (and everyone) overrating him based on some seriously strong one off games the prior year, and not factoring in the new position, Silas' inability to really ease him into it, and what is clear is now other locker room issues.

Regarding KJ Martin... i agree with you.

20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Hearing KPJ om the block?

Heard where? When?