1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly IKO - Kenyon Martin Jr. Looking for a trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 20, 2022.

1. csc177

csc177 Member

So you’re saying Silas lost the Locker Room?

sounds about right.

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

KMJ is a nice young player, but despite he's aerobatic dunks and poster creating blocks he has limitations at SF or PF. He seems to be a focused kid who improved in YR2, but this situation feel's a bit like the dad who thinks his son should be playing more on his AAU team and keeps repeating that to his kid.

While I agree he should have gotten more run last year, the logjam in the frontcourt is starting to clear out. If Gordon is gone next then the SG/SF minutes will increase. That should help.

If the issue is personalities, environment, etc as @Nook suggested then until we replace Silas I don't believe the situation will improve. I've been an advocate of Kenny Atkinson for awhile. I was encouraged when he pivoted away from the CHA job. He'll likely be able to pick and chose his next gig and if we draft well this year maybe he'll be in play for next season. Thought this article was interesting... https://defector.com/seven-totally-...assistant-kenny-atkinson-snubbed-the-hornets/

"And unless Atkinson has a better story than either of those, they’re the ones we’re going with until he gets the offer he can’t refuse from Detroit in 2023 . . . or Houston in 2024 . . . or New York in 2025 . . . or Sacramento in 2023 or 2025 or 2027 or 2029 or . . . well, you know a pattern when you see one. Mike Brown is a grand fellow and fine tactician, but it’s still Sacramento, with the same delight in firing coaches for the sheer lack of better ideas. Brown may come to envy Kenny Atkinson for staying, whatever the reason. At least that’s the way to bet."

So in sum, if Stone can parlay KMJ into a higher pick this year or a future asset I'm ok with him leaving. I really like this kid for our future SF https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4593803/jalen-williams CLE is hosting him today--his stock is skyrocketing up draft boards. Maybe we can get that CHA #13 pick to jump CLE for him.

3. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

:confused: He was here for two months how can you become disliked in two months... and houston seems to like him.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am sure if he were playing he would be fine, but we played EGo all year for no reason, we played Mathews when we know who he is - when KMJ has a higher ceiling....

The Rockets just don't look like they have a plan to me.

DD

5. BonziWellsGOAT

Silas is a push over for sure and some of this is on him but also having two famously mercurial players in prominent positions on a bad team with so many young guys was a recipe for disaster. It's on the coaching staff and FO that they were catered to and let run amok though.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

100% - and we wasted an entire year by not focusing on DEFENSE at all - I mean just roll the ball out doesn't work with very young teams.

I can't stress enough how disappointed I am in Silas. He seems to not be direct with his players and let's Lucas run bad cop to his good cop, and SIlas father was a horrid coach - seems to have rubbed off.....maybe he is just a good assistant?

DD

7. conquistador#11

Always believed milky hair should have addressed the teen wolf in the room instead of always passively aggressively pointing fingers at teen wolf by saying ball got sticky after every game. Same here, the coaching staff should have held these guys accountable for more than 1 game. If it doesn't change, we will be back here next season and next and next or until SIlas gets the chair, I mean hotseat.

FrontRunner and D-rock like this.
  8. AXG

AXG Member

Unless the Rockets get a good small forward in the draft, I don't see why they rush to trade Martin. If anything, they should trade Tate and the aforementioned Gordon.

BHannes2BHonest and Imanimal like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

well I wouldn’t trade him for another first this year , unless it’s getting us a very good one .

late bloomer , still developing skills , good team/ glue guy .

I’d keep him . What kind of contract is he going to demand when he’s a FA ?

I’d rather trade kmj

D-rock and Dacamel like this.
  10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

And you can't blame me for laughing at it either :)

csc177, Deckard, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Tate is so overrated

KJM shouldve been getting time over him

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I would have liked to see KJ play more minutes but it's not like he never played. He had some opportunities to show he was far better than Mathews and Tate, he just didn't. That's on him.

I doubt there's a deal available for a 1st rd pick and I don't see someone giving a really high 2nd rounder either. I also doubt he would play much more minutes on a contender.

I guess it could be a young player swap with another bad team or just waive him if he doesn't find more minutes in the rotation. That could be the plan either way. The Rockets are probably done with him if he gets beat out for forward minutes by rookies and journeymen (Mathews/Tate).

ashleyem likes this.
  13. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

the worse part is KMJ might go to a playoff team get some good minutes and look like a very good role player that could step in and be a starter when needed and we lost him because of Silas and stone's inability to trade vets that eat up to many mins and Silas for never wanting to play the young guys. this is an organization failure

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

In a rebuild there will be some talent casualties. Stone just needs to keep adding more talent each year and allow the cream to rise. If 2nd round or undrafted guys who are not good outside shooters or perimeter defenders request a trade then trade them. Not losing anything at all. Try and package the glut and accumulate picks down the road.

leebigez, Bo6, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The problem I can see is that KmartJr is right at that value point where you really want to keep him around, but the moment he makes things difficult it just isn't worth it.

Developing Green, Sengun and Banchero is enough for this team to focus on, with Christopher and Nix maybe. Porter, Tate and Martin are quickly expendable if they aren't model students, or quickly embraced if they rise to the top.

16. xaos

xaos Member

Exactly this. Great post

Shark44 likes this.
  17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Silas needs to go….

hakeem94 and Dacamel like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A fantastic post!

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  19. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Disagree….KMJ is a blossoming talent, letting him go now would be a huge mistake.

20. Nook

Nook Member

He is one of the most disliked players in the league by other players and had issues off the court as well. He also isn't terribly helpful to the younger players which was an issue last year.

At the time the Rockets made the deal for Schroder and kept him, it was a mistake. The Rockets had Wood, Porter and Schroder all on the team and that was not something that would be viewed positively around the league.

It looks like Stone is now possibly trying to clean up the situation.

Still, it isn't a good look and depending on Silas' opinion on adding them, it isn't fair to Silas who isn't exactly viewed as a great coach around the league either.

Perception can change, but it takes time.