1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

More like a waiting game.

Nobody has any incentive to put forward anything until the dates of all these entrances and exits are finalized.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Right but those dates ultimately depend on the exit fees and who blinks first IMO. Like you said, don’t think anyone believes UT/OU are going to stay past this season let alone through the rest of the deal as they’ve said. So think it’s a matter of who wants to start the negotiating process.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

tinman likes this.
  4. DonnyMost

Welp, if this doesn't light a fire under OUTs asses, nothing will

Ziggy likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

tinman likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

#787 J.R., Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The NEW SEC apparently already dominates college baseball this year. Not that anybody watches. Except probably @Buck Turgidson

vince, Buck Turgidson and tinman like this.
  9. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

The top schools are still going to be SEC and Big 10. I thought the Big 12 would be the first conference to fold for football, but now I'm thinking it's the ACC. Imagine swapping Kentucky (basketball school) for Florida State, Clemson, or Miami football. Having Clemson and South Carolina in the same conference or Florida and FSU makes a lot more sense than Oklahoma having to play on the east coast.

10. Buck Turgidson

The PAC12 is now the conference in question

11. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I could see that. It's basically USC and trash. And USC hasn't been relevant the last few years.

I could talk about this stuff all day, but I have all sorts of crazy schemes for how the playoffs should work.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

What, you're watching the NBA playoffs?

Somebody has to have taste around here

13. DonnyMost

The PAC 12 is not really on the clock. They're like the Switzerland of college football. They're not a danger to anyone, but also not in any danger themselves. They will persist indefinitely as is as long as they desire.

When it comes to realignment armageddon, it feels like the Big 12 dissolving and merging into the PAC/ACC is all but inevitable. It also feels like there's a strong chance the B1G & SEC might form some kind of 32 team mini-NFL and tell everyone else to go pound sand.

rhino17 and Ziggy like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Not sure you can watch this at work (in your cube?), but the Battle of the Inbreds has begun: Game 1 of the CWS is OU and ATM. The blue bloods play tonight: UT-Notre Dame.

Tomorrow you get a half-and-half with Stanford and the Arky pigfornicators...then an SEC full-inbred showdown with Ole Miss and Auburn.

I'm sure you'll be on the edge of your seat.

jiggyfly, Pat and Ziggy like this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wont be watching, lulz. But I like the inbred and pure blood visuals.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Honestly? I'm alright with that for football. Those are the programs that bring in money and keep the TV deals running.

Unfortunately, football is too taxing of a game to have some kind of crazy march madness style tournament, and there's just too many schools to include everyone in a playoff. Someone is always going to get left out or be on the bubble. That's part of what makes it fun though; pretty much every game matters besides those stupid money-grab games.

17. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Four games is plenty. I've got a lot of seasons under my belt and I've seen years when one team was the consensus champ and really no playoff was needed. Seen two really good teams and a head to head was perfect (USC v. UT) (Clemson Alabama - playoffs just got in the way), I've even seen seasons where three teams could make a reasonable claim to being the best team. But I can't remember any season where there were four teams that have a reasonable claim to being named he champ. Plenty of number five teams can argue they are as good as number four, but none of those have a real claim of deserving a crack at the championship. Four teams is plenty.

Now if you just want more games and more money, that is a separate argument.

TheJuice likes this.
  18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think this is correct. The pac is just different. The west just doesn't have the fanatic college football culture of the southeast or midwest. I would guess almost every SEC team gets substantially higher attendance numbers than pretty much any team out west. Pac schools are also not in traditional "college towns" for the most part, they are in urban centers that don't necessarily cater completely to the schools. I think we are content with where we are.

20. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

That's a really good point. The PAC-12 reminds me a lot of the ACC almost. It will never happen because of money...but teams like Rutgers should be in the ACC instead of the Big 12 whereas Clemson, Miami, and FSU should be in the SEC or Big 12. Penn State has a big football culture, but outside of them most people don't care about college football on the East coast until you hit South Carolina. Sure, you'll see UVA or Virginia Tech shirts. Students get drunk and go to the games at Rutgers or UMD...but it's way more of a focus on College basketball in the ACC and Northeast.

Also, it just bothers me that the "Southeast conference" now includes two schools from Texas, Oklahoma, and Missouri but not two of the 3 big schools in Florida or Clemson. As I'm sure you all can appreciate being in Texas...inter-state/neighboring rivalries are the best part of college sports.

Obviously, I want my team to win as often as possible. But in a losing season for one/both teams, with little bowl implications, I don't care about UGA playing Oklahoma, or Texas A&M. I really love beating South Carolina, Florida, Auburn, and Bama though. And I'm a transplant and fairly new fan. People with family/friends who went to the rival school nearby? You can beat it's a big deal. I used to date another UGA fan whose family was basically split between Auburn and UGA.