1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

poorman cuck that bandwagons a different team every week lmao

Arent you a "rockets fan"? Hate to break it to you but the rockets dont just suck ass they are the worst team in the nba

2. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah I'm a Rockets fan, win or lose. Rockets are rebuilding, losing is part of it. They will get to the winning part, sooner or later.. But losing stays constant for you, especially if you keep following Harden teams... I can actually enjoy watching great players like Curry do their thing because I don't feel like he is taking anything away from Harden.... You like Boston because you hate Curry, you hate Curry because he clowned Harden.... Harden is gone and that era of The Rockets with it.... I have Paolo and J Green to look forward to... What about you thou? Lakers? wherever Harden lands I guess...

3. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

wall of text from tilman cuck

Didnt read, sorry brother. Curry 0-9 and carried again

4. Salvy

Salvy Member

Glad you didn't read it, might have learned something... Don't stop believing man. Maybe you are right for once...

[​IMG]

5. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

I legit didnt read that ****. I stopped after you tried to say the rockets were about to start winning

The rockets winning more than 20 games

[​IMG]

RocketsDraftTV likes this.
  6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Interesting logic. 0-9 carried by 0-6. What a world.

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I always thought McHale was one of the reasons Dwight chose us in the first place. To prove our commitment to Dwight and his post game, we chose a coach who was one of the best post players in NBA history (who also happened to be stiff like Dwight).

8. VanityHalfBlack

No but Aaron Brooks can ;)

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You're giving players credit for management responsibilities. In the case of Moses, free agency was completely different then. Even if a star wanted to come elsewhere the other team had to be compensated for them to leave. That's why we got picks from him going to Philly. Moses finally got a 2nd star when he was old, and won immediately. KG and Giannis had to attract players to small markets, and again, they aren't management. KG finally got a 2nd star in Boston and won immediately. Giannis won without one. There is nothing to suggest either of those elite two way bigs can't get it done when surrounded by great talent. There is nothing to suggest that either was a bad leader.

Stop giving Curry credit for GS having elite management that is willing to outspend everyone to obtain talent. That argument has no wheels. The only elite free agent they have signed was KD, and again, he came to play with the team, not Steph. The team recruited him. Everyone else was drafted by GS, paid more than other teams could pay them to stay, or acquired by GS via trade. Curry did not draft anyone. Curry did not bring in Iggy via trade. Curry did not convince KD to do a sign and trade when he left. Curry did not get Russell, then flip him for Wiggins and a lotto pick. GS management drafted and traded for every major piece aside from the one the team recruited (KD).

RocketsDraftTV and TheJuice like this.
  10. foh

foh Member

It's Curry's team that before he got there did nothing of note.

Sure elevating one's teammates and keeping them happy has nothing to do with number one talent on a team who also happens to be the point guard.

It's a team sport. How you treat people goes a long way. Nobody would go out of their way for Harden or KG or Gianni's to recruit the likes of KD to their team.

GS didn't always pay the tax and every GM out there claims to be willing to pay the tax for championship team.

Rocket's had genius GM, great owner and access to talented youngs and later some superstars. And yet, you discount the super star on the team as the head honcho when it comes to personal decision? Really??

It's a players' league where talent is paramount. Having a culture guy on your team as top talent is a huge bonus.

11. Icehouse

There was nothing of note before the core of Curry, Klay, Green and Iggy got together.

All 3 players I mentioned were #1 talents on their title winning teams. Being a defensive anchor is important too.

The Warriors went out of their way to recruit KD to "their" team because they knew they would be unbeatable with him. That haven't exactly hid this.

GS has always spent big $$ once they started contending. GS spent big $$ in the last two years despite injuries. We aren't going with claims. This is actual fact. I don't know why you are giving Curry credit for hs elite management being elite. In a situation where nearly every player was acquired via draft or trade.

The Rockets had an owner that wasn't willing to spend $$. Are you not aware of that? Additionally, I was discussing elite bigs in KG, Moses and Giannis. I'm not sure why you keep bringing up the Rockets. What do they or Harden have to do with what I was talking about when you replied to me?

Again, KG, Moses and Giannis are not bad culture guys. It's one of their strengths.

12. foh

foh Member

I bring up rockets because that's one example I'm familiar with of bad leadership in a team sport. And you didn't prove that the 3 players you mention have good leadership in the team-oriented long term type of way I've described (while being a #1 superstar talent of a team, they inspire his guys to go to war for him, his guys to play top effort defense, his guys to recruit players, his guys to be ok with being #2, his guys to take team first approach and not cause distractions, his guys to stick around even if they feel like they have the talent to have a greater role else-where, his guys to take less money than elsewhere, his guys to improve their skills year in and year out, his guys to play within the system that coach professes)

yes, GS is willing to spend - easy go to argument for their success these days. take the easy road out. Might as well stop rooting for a team under luxury tax now. What's the point.

#3212 foh, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  13. Icehouse

No offense, but if you need examples of KG, Moses Malone and Giannis doing those things, then you don't know much about either player. Google them.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You mean "2nd and 3rd star". Also, that Boston team was a big-3. Garnett didn't lead them.

Giannis won with Middleton, Holiday, and Brook Lopez. That's an elite supporting cast.

A team of Garnett, Klay, Draymond, H.Barnes, Bogut, a 31 year old Iggy, 31 year old David Lee, and Shaun Livingston would have no shot at a title. Elite defense with subpar scoring and limited perimeter shooting won't get it done in today's NBA.

Of course it does. I'd reckon most owners would be willing to go into the luxury tax if that resulted in championships.

foh likes this.
  15. foh

foh Member

Hah. You keep on taking the easy way out.
    Sure. I remember KG flunk out of playoffs a whole lot and complained of lacking support. And then he went to Pierce's team and became big three/four that had chemistry issues and won on talent once when they were younger and healthy. Ginanis had to be convinced to sign his contract by his teammates presenting him pens and management acquiring a bunch of talent - I'd be willing to say Bucks is more of Middleton's team than Gianis'. Jury is still out on his leadership skills. No clue with regards to third guy.

16. Salvy

Salvy Member

17. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Was it? Honestly, that feels like a lifetime ago I don't remember.

In hindsight, promising post ups to Dwight when it was clear a Harden-Howard PnR would be unstoppable (think Kobe and Shaq) was really stupid.

Also I remember some arguing we could have gotten Iggy and Millsap for the same price as Howard and honestly? That may have been the better move. Especially if we still are able to bring chris paul in.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

To me, that's the only way the McHale hiring makes sense. Also, don't forget that when we wanted Dwight to leave, we hired Dantoni (who Dwight disliked after their stint with the Lakers).

Dwight wouldn't have come here without the promise of post-ups.

19. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

That's very true. I think everyone involved (Dwight, fans, Morey) thought Dwight would pick up Hakeem's skills better than he did.

Also, in fairness, having a dominant bgi man seemed like the best way to beat the Heat, who were the dominant team.

20. Asian Sensation

Pipe and Salvy like this.