1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] [ROBERT REICH] Liz Cheney for President 2024 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 13, 2022.

1. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

It really was amazing how Woodrow Wilson got elected, I agree. That's more of a historical oddity because of Teddy's ego though. Either way I don't think that's what this thread is about.

And, no. 2qst century American politics is cylical. We elect people, nothing gets done because a few executive orders, elect a Congress to oppose them, then a President of the opposite party etc. etc. Meanwhile everyone gets poorer, stupider, and more radical and the rich make more money. That's how the system is designed.

If you think any politician cares about you, in either party, you're a ****ing moron.

Andre0087 likes this.
  2. Salvy

Salvy Member

I don't think any politician cares about me or you or the people of this country. I do think their actions affect us on a daily basis. Does Biden or Trump care about the gas prices? I don't think any of them have lost sleep over them.

3. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Well Biden probably has, because it's a very big political metric (even though what the President does day to day doesn't really affect energy markets).

You think people are upset now, wait until countries are fighting over water in 30 years. $8 for a gallon of gas and formula shortages are going to be fond memories of prosperity when we have an overpopulated, starving planet without enough water or arable land.

4. Salvy

Salvy Member

If Biden gave a single damn about political metrics or approval we wouldn't be in this mess.. Yeah, he is not responsible entirely. Saying that he is is flat out hate and wrong. But saying he has nothing to do with it is also entirely wrong.

The only way we get to people fighting over water and remembering the ol days of $8 a gallon of gas is if Biden wins another election. I highly doubt he does thou. Highly highly doubt it...

5. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I mean can you explain HOW he has something to do with it?

A pipeline in the Midwest bring Alberta shale is not going to drastically alter gas prices. Gas and oil is mostly determined by how much OPEC produces, hence why Biden just met with Saudi Arabia. Factories and refineries shut down and were disrupted due to COVID and had far lower projected demand. Even if Biden were to, for the sake of argument, authorize drilling on every federal land, frack everywhere, pull sanctions on Russian banks, and give the Saudi royal family a blow job, gas prices would still be where they are right now.

LOL. Who you elect in 2024 (or 2028) for that matter is not going to prevent the coming water crisis. That ship has long sailed. You think the refugee crisis is bad now? Wait until the Sahara expands. Or India tops 2 billion people and still can't supply running, clean water. Or if most of the Middle East countries don't build desalinators fast enough.

Those two trends are linked by the way. Saudi Arabia is going to be a net importer of oil by the end of the decade simply because it's so energy intensive to desalinate the water there.

The big power play I'd like to see that won't happen is a move in the Caucuses. Azerbaijan and Armenia are both pissed at Russia, and Azerbaijan sits on untold amounts of untapped oil reserves with no way to sell it to the market becausse the infrastructure hasn't been built up yet. That's too outside of the box for most politicians though, so my complaints will fall on deaf ears.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I figured you aren't able to explain it in your own words and rely on a YouTube personality.

Nook and Andre0087 like this.
  8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if trumpers and right wingers actually cared about the issues then cheney would be their top pick. she is as hardcore right-wing as they come.

but trumpers and right wingers dont care about issues. they care about trump above all else.

cheney voted with trump like 95% of the time. she is possibly the most conservative member of congress. but because she spoke the truth about trump she is a RINO and a democrat.

ROCKSS likes this.
  9. Salvy

Salvy Member

Does it not count then?

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

Oh, and look at who was talking about this over a year ago..... The writing was on the wall and you still chose to ignore it ...

11. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Another political idiot LOL... Gas prices.
    This has nothing to do with the President and everything to due with sudden increase in supply and demand coming off the pandemic & rampant price gouging.

The average retail price of gasoline while Obama was president was $2.97. The average price under President Donald Trump was $2.49... Which includes lower prices due to the pandemic... The fact is presidents don’t actually have much effect if any on gas prices... The policies they set have very limited impact.. The U.S. Energy Information Administration shows that more than half of the retail cost of gasoline is determined by the price of crude oil, and that price is driven, largely, by supply and demand.

The EIA, the U.S. agency, “Efforts to mitigate COVID-19’s spread led to a collapse in global petroleum product demand.” demand is lagging what it was in 2019 and “future demand for petroleum products remains highly uncertain as COVID-19 infection rates are rising in a number of countries.”
    The weekly average price for regular gasoline in the U.S. dropped from $2.58 at the beginning of the year to $2.14 in the most recent week, hitting a low of $1.77 in late April 2020, according to data from the EIA.

The issue of supply and demand is why prices at the pump had been so low in 2020. Due to the outbreak of the coronavirus, global oil demand dropped by 5.6 million barrels per day in the first quarter of the year, compared to the previous year, according to the International Energy Agency.
    With a steep decline in road traffic, “gasoline was the fuel with the largest absolute decline in demand related to Covid‑19 containment measures,” according to an April 2020 report from the IEA.

Yes you're an idiot. GTFO

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Cheney says she is considering a White House run after drubbing in Wyo. primary
    In Alaska, Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski and Trump-backed GOP rival Kelly Tshibaka advanced to the general election

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/08/16/wyoming-liz-cheney-alaska-primaries/

excerpt:

Cheney raised the prospect of taking on the task of stopping Trump if he runs in 2024, saying she is considering a White House bid.

“It is something I’m thinking about, and I’ll make a decision in the coming months,” Cheney said during an interview on NBC’s “Today” show in which she said her priority will be “doing whatever it takes to keep Donald Trump out of the Oval Office.”

In Wyoming, Cheney said she plans to focus on the remainder of her congressional term — serving constituents in Wyoming and fulfilling her role as vice chairwoman of the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol by a pro-Trump mob.

Cheney filed early Wednesday with the Federal Election Commission to establish a leadership PAC with the name “The Great Task” — a signal that her role in politics is not ending despite her losing her primary.
    more at the link

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if it was really about conservative principles, policies and ideology she would be a shoe-in, but since the GOP is now nothing more than a cult for the one she dared to speak out against she has no chance.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the problem is that the flip side is also true: since she is all about Never Trump instead of about conservative principles, she will never really heal the split in the GOP

16. fchowd0311

Is there room for both with how both conservative and liberal media will cover Cheney? You think they are going to shove a bunch of microphones towards her face when she's discussing fiscal policy? She probably still talks about the other **** but media is always going to concentrate on a GOP poltician "betraying" the GOP and Trump or chosing "country over politics". So she's only going to get covered when it's over this subject matter.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I don't see her as a real option, regardless of what Robert Reich says

pgabriel likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

She isn't an option because she would never win a GOP primary. But especially given Biden's low approval I can see her winning a general election and capturing the suburban conservative leaning base

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Pretty much end of the line for her. I don't even think she can scrounge up support for a cabinet position.

Time to see how much power the old Sith lords have left.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Hey Ditto head.

The reason she is all about Never Trump is that she is all about conservative principles.

She does not want to heal the split, she wants to eradicate the cancer.

jo mama likes this.